Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2011, 23:15   #2746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tachobells View Post
I heard it from Sireesh Auto (Blr) that Green and Purple are special colors and the cancellation fee is 10K. For all other colors, it's 1000 rs.
Ther appears to be a lot of confusion even among dealers!
I went to book the W8AWD - was told that red and silver - not available!
Re cancelation-
1. you would loose only rs1000/- and
2.if you change the colour it would cost 1000/-

Feel given some more time things will be clear!
Rgds

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_e46 View Post
The very first XUV500 to be delivered, right here in Mumbai.
Congrats!!
So who is the lucky one? And which model?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th October 2011 at 14:59. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of previous post.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:29   #2747
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

I've booked a white W8 AWD but i've noticed a couple of things.
1. The left side passenger door wouldn't shut properly on a 'static' demo car parked inside the showroom. After I fiddled with the 'cheetah paw' handle and shut the door again, it worked. I thought that was it, but when I was waiting in a chair, I saw another customer have trouble with the door so the problem had obviously come back. Did anyone else see this problem?
2. I took a second and a third test drive, and heard a low rumbling noise from 'somewhere in there'. This happened a few times when the car was in the first gear, not going too fast at all and then brakes were applied. Happened enough times that the sales guy in the car decided to drive it himself, but it didn't happen anymore. Has anyone else encountered this?

I am a little concerned, although this is a test car and many test drivers are pretty harsh with the cars. Please let me know if you've seen (or heard of) either issue. Or future test drivers, please look out for these.

The GPS obviously works. I heard the familiar North American woman's voice announce the turns come up at 100m intervals. It was a little irritating after a while, because the sales guy's test drive route was clearly not going to follow the suggested route, but it was good to see a demo of the GPS since I was too busy driving to fiddle with the buttons.
Old 6th October 2011, 23:33   #2748
BHPian

With the first vehicle out and delivered , it's still no news of team bhp review . Not sure what's taking so much time for the team to come out with the review . While doing review for other vehicles it would be out quick & fast . Why the delay for xuv series ? With most of the magazines , tv channels , individuals having completed the report why not our own team?? Very very surprising & ?
Old 6th October 2011, 23:44   #2749
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
i just fail to understand what is taking the team bhp review so looong ,the mods have had enough time to pen the review they had tested the xuv 500 some 5 to 6 days back, this is not the way members should be kept waiting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I don't know from from where you got this news but I would like to make a few points here:

- We try to make our official reviews as detail and concise as possible.
- We shoot extensively and select from them to give you what exactly needed.
- We go through every bit several times so that you get a clear distinct picture.

All these take some time before it reaches you for your comments. XUV's official review is coming up soon. Please wait and you won't be disappointed.

And lastly requesting you not to make unnecessary comments about moderators responsibilities.
Thank you, Rudra.

@ Bajwasingh : If you want to read a review written in a hurry, you are in the wrong place. Our reviews are, without doubt, the most detailed, comprehensive and unbiased. Remember, quality takes time. We are fanatical about the value of our output.

Yes, we did drive the XUV5OO last week for a couple of laps on Mahindra's test track. For a Team-BHP review, 5 kms of test-track driving isn't enough. That's why we've spent ~400 kms with the SUV in the city, highway, expressway, rough roads, broken roads and ghat sections. We've also driven it alone, with 2 onboard and with 5 passengers onboard.

We'd never release a half-baked review a week early, just to be "the first release" on the net. Sorry, that's just not Team-BHP's style. We take time and hopefully you will agree, do it well

Please be patient.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 23:52   #2750
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I don't know from from where you got this news but I would like to make a few points here:

- We try to make our official reviews as detail and concise as possible.
- We shoot extensively and select from them to give you what exactly needed.
- We go through every bit several times so that you get a clear distinct picture.

All these take some time before it reaches you for your comments. XUV's official review is coming up soon. Please wait and you won't be disappointed.

And lastly requesting you not to make unnecessary comments about moderators responsibilities.
+100000 to that.

Team-Bhp reviews are the best in the world as they are absolutely neutral. Everyone is eagerly waiting for the review to be posted. I for one check-in almost every 10 minutes to check if the review is posted. Please have patience and enjoy your stay in this wonderful forum... Peace...
Old 6th October 2011, 23:59   #2751
BHPian

For the restive souls something to keep you busy while the official review arrives. I went to G3 auto in Malad to get a feel for the car in flesh, took a couple of snaps and had a good look at the car and a short test drive.

Overall it ticks all the right boxes, folks here have literally been praying for a decent suv at a decent price. Well here you have it, a more than decent suv at an excellent price in a market prone to premium pricing.

Who would have thought it would be Mahindra who would deliver this. Few would be disappointed because so far we have been paying an extra 10 lakhs for a car like this, Mahindra would have got away with pricing this at 15, it would have reduced numbers but would have keep the brand pegged a bit higher.

Exteriors

• The car has a solid look about it, its not flimsy, it sits well. Its a proper SUV softroader like the CRV or RAV4 with chunky tyres and a solid look about it
  • I am a bit confused about my initial reaction to it on this forum, I hated the front and the back. In real its not as jarring, the front and the back are ok, it could be different, it could be better but currently there is not much objectionable about it, its a design decision and I find it ok.
  • On the white the front does look a bit off though and some of the demo cars have the accessories fitted, chrome finishing on the lights and on the body, that doesn't work at all. Without these the car looks significantly better. This could be one reason for the extreme reaction on this forum when the car was first seen. It looks understated and solid without it.
  • It perfectly sized, not too big and not too small, like the Rav4 in many ways

Interiors
  • Nothing that stands out and hits you in terms of quality or lack of it, its not lush or luxurious, its a bit standard in terms of feel and quality of materials used but everything you need is there. Its not as solid as the exterior but it doesn't look flimsy.
  • One tone colours would have been better, the dual done needs getting used to
  • If you look carefully some of the plastics stand out for being a bit tacky, inside the glove box, the usb area, and under the seats, you can see some exposed areas not finished well.
  • The driving position is nice, you get a pretty decent view.
  • The rear seat room is quite good however under thigh support is missing, for longer journeys this could be an issue
  • I really don't think this is a 7 seater like an Innova, even in the Innova it is crampy and claustrophobic, in the XUV its ok for a one off case when you would need it. This is a 5 seater IMHO.

Overall it gets too many things right and the criticisms pale in comparision when put in perspective of the current pricing of similar cars in the Indian market and the cost of the XUV. I think this is a great stride forward for Mahindra.

I have driven the Rav4, the Sante Fe an the CRV frequently in the US. This is as good as that in many ways, there are some chinks mainly in attention to detail in the interiors but the difference is not 10 lakhs. This is an excellent product and hence the fantastic response.

My advice for those who are looking at a SUV in the 20-25 lakh region is to test drive this. Some folks won't simply because of the Mahindra brand image and the sheers numbers that will be on our road soon, and that will be unfortunate. You may be pleasantly suprised. Mahindra doesn have the brand value of many of its competitors but this is exactly the kind of product that builds a brand.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061020.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061026.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061028.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061035.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061036.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061038.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061055.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061061.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061063.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061042.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061045.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061052.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061054.jpg  

New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-pa061057.jpg  

raul is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 00:02   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We'd never release a half-baked review a week early, just to be "the first release" on the net. Sorry, that's just not Team-BHP's style. We take time and hopefully you will agree, do it well

Please be patient.
+1 to that. As has been pointed out on several occasions "Quality takes time" & we don't want to compromise on quality. Now that we know how unbiased & detailed the TBHP official reviews are, we look upto them as the bible. On the other hand the XUV500 has been garnering unprecedented response. In such a scenario it is but natural for many members to expect the offcial review sooner than later. We don't mind even if the review is getting delayed, but then some feeders in between, what's happening behind the scenes would be highly appreciated (you know how the starters or appetizers build the tempo till the main course).

Lets hope we get it before the tempo wades off.
Old 7th October 2011, 00:13   #2753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Ther appears to be a lot of confusion even among dealers!
I went to book the W8AWD - was told that red and silver - not available!
Re cancelation-
1. you would loose only rs1000/- and
2.if you change the colour it would cost 1000/-

Feel given some more time things will be clear!
Rgds
Yes even i was told that it would only cost 1000 for either cancellation or for changing the color.
Old 7th October 2011, 00:35   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardfdz View Post
Congrats!!
So who is the lucky one? And which model?
Its a family friends car. Liked the car so much after visiting the dealership on the night of the launch, that he wanted to have the very first one. The dealership told him that they would be giving the 1st one to Ajay Devgan and that he would be in the 1st 10 cars. He told them to collect full payment for the car the next morning, if he would get the 1st piece. The offer was too good to resist - full payment of a car that was not even test driven.

Its a W8 2 wheel drive, didn't feel the use of getting the 4WD as the car is going to be mainly in the city and that too for short drives at times.
Old 7th October 2011, 00:37   #2755
BHPian

Mahindra XUV 500 Full grill or Half grill?

Guys,
I think I am becoming a huge fan of the Mahindra XUV 500 (which isn't a bad thing). However, I in my view, the XUV should have got a proper (read: full) chrome grill. Instead of the "too chiselled designed" front.
I couldn't resist myself and photoshoped an image of the XUV with a full-grill side by side to the original.
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-xuv.jpg  

Old 7th October 2011, 01:51   #2756
BHPian

Just checked the Mahindra Portal and my date is Dec 12th. Also went for another TD at SKS today and my friend booked one as well. The crazy crowds continued, and today being a holiday made it all the more crowded.
The dealer says that most of the bookings are for silver and white, and that the AWD version bookings have been stopped. Not sure why though.
Old 7th October 2011, 01:52   #2757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thank you, Rudra.

Yes, we did drive the XUV5OO last week for a couple of laps on Mahindra's test track. For a Team-BHP review, 5 kms of test-track driving isn't enough. That's why we've spent ~400 kms with the SUV in the city, highway, expressway, rough roads, broken roads and ghat sections. We've also driven it alone, with 2 onboard and with 5 passengers onboard.

Please be patient.

Now That's what keeps me addicted to Team-Bhp.

It is the sheer quality of the content/reviews and the extreme detail in which each and every aspect is covered.

Add to that the passion of the Mods towards ensuring the quality of the forum.

I am probably only a T-Bhp review away from booking the XUV, however, in no hurry as I know it would definitely be worth the wait
amit_2025 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 05:44   #2758
BHPian

The AWD (All Wheel Drive) is presently not available for booking as per the Mahindra Website. This may be because of the initial euphoria. Probably Mahindra wants to increase prices right away.

It would also be noteworthy to mention that the car is yet to be launched in major cities. In fact it has not been launched in States like Kerala, AP, Orissa, MP, West Bengal and the North Eastern States.

Mahindra guys in Orissa say that it would be launched in December.

Last edited by Gautam Misra : 7th October 2011 at 05:45.
Old 7th October 2011, 08:17   #2759
BHPian

Is it only me got elbow fouling with arm rest while gear changing? Especially second and 4th?

-HCP

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 7th October 2011 at 08:20.
Old 7th October 2011, 08:30   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
While doing review for other vehicles it would be out quick & fast . Why the delay for xuv series ? With most of the magazines , tv channels , individuals having completed the report why not our own team?? Very very surprising & ?
Relax @Ranga! When it is released, it will answer the many questions and doubts that people have about the XUV500.

It is never good to comment the Moderators who have done such an exemplary reviews in the past.

It is a very important product to have been launched, and a possible game changer in the C / C+ segment like the Skoda Superb & Toyota Fotuner. So a detailed and quality evaluation of the vehicle is quite important.

@GTO as usual waiting for the T-BHP review. Somehow, this particular review is raising the pulses of everyone and has indeed created a lot of hype (similar to the likes of our Super Star's movie release). Looking forward to it.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed