Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 17:09   #2836
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

- lots of Scorp ads even in the Metros - on TV
yes they will need to keep expounding the value the Scorp offers to the consumer.
And I dont think that Scorp sales will really drop - atleast in the lower end variants.
If anything the VLX 2WD and VLX 4WD and VLX AT models are the only ones who will face the heat from the XUV500.
Theres still loads of people out there willing to buy a 10 lac SUV instead of a 16 lac one (On road BLR that is).

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabjarus View Post
I think M&M has already stated feeling cannibalization of Scorpio sales by XUV, hence this move. I see a downward price correction of Scorpio or escalation of XUV prices - pretty soon - to stem this.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:37   #2837
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

"The new SUV has registered 5000+ bookings in just 6 days from the official launch. The company has registered more than 35,000+ test drive requests for the vehicle. And this is a situation when the bookings have been opened only in five cities – Mumbai, Pune, Delhi, Bengaluru and Chennai. M&M sure have a trouble they would love to be in."

http://http://motoroids.com/news/off...in-6-days.html
Old 8th October 2011, 18:41   #2838
BHPian

Two weeks ago, my wife and I decided (after two years of travelling long distance in our friend's Scorpio) that we would buy a Scorpio SLE for our holiday travels.

I went to book the Scorp at India Garage Palace Road. That's when my friend in IG told me that the XUV was to be launched in a couple of days and advised me to check the XUV and then decide between the XUV and Scorp.

Only today I was able to visit India Garage and it seems there's no let up in the crowd at the showroom!

I have been reading the comments posted here and I was not expecting much after reading words like "hideous", "cheap/flimsy" or words to that effect.

I was totally blown away by the XUV 500 in the flesh. No pictures can do justice to this.

IMO, it is simply awesome from the front. Breathtaking is another description I would apply.

The same inside, everything was way above my expectations. I was especially taken by the driver's seat adjustment, the steering wheel feel (which is the closest to my Ikon's). I loved the fabric upholstery.

About 10 people were in the lounge being served endless cups of coffee. They were waiting patiently for the test drive. Didn't seem I would get a test drive today, but really I didn't feel any need for one.

In short, mere physical inspection was enough. I was willing to stand in line and cough up the booking amount without a test drive. (Yes, people were waiting for that too!).

Only my wife's caution stopped me. The XUV is already nearing 18 to 20 weeks for delivery. Did I want to wait for so long? Answer is no, we want the SUV/MUV urgently for our year end travels starting November.

Net decision, we probably will go with the Scorpio SLE for now (waiting period 4 weeks hopefully) and buy the upgrade of the XUV a couple of years down the line. (Lot of rumours of a higher powered engine in the works). Moreover, Mahindras have constantly improved the Scorpio every two years and they will probably do the same with the XUV I guess.

On the windshield of the XUV was a small sticker that stated with simple pride, "MADE BY MAHINDRA". As an Indian, I was proud too. Great job M&M!
Damu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 18:47   #2839
BHPian

Dose XUV also have Dynamic Corner feature?
Old 8th October 2011, 19:42   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damu View Post
Only my wife's caution stopped me. The XUV is already nearing 18 to 20 weeks for delivery. Did I want to wait for so long? Answer is no, we want the SUV/MUV urgently for our year end travels starting November. Net decision, we probably will go with the Scorpio SLE for now (waiting period 4 weeks hopefully) and buy the upgrade of the XUV a couple of years down the line.
Nice, succinct, review!

Congratulations on a very prudent decision. Even though the XUV5OO is a very tempting proposition, I think it makes sense to wait for actual user reports before taking the plunge, even if it means paying a little more than the intro price.

The SLE is the most VFM Scorpio variant [not because I have one :-D]. Also, I am a firm believer in reliability of a vehicle being inversely proportional to the amount of electronics in it. So, in that respect, you won't have too many headaches with the SLE.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 21:58   #2841
BHPian

A good pic to illustrate a point from my earlier post on the XUV
You see that they have continued the grill look below the headlights to match the grill in front of the radiator except for the fact that it is not really a grill below the headlight but a grill design on a plastic plate which when viewed in the flesh frankly just looks a little cheap....but yes what a superb colour for this vehicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fantastic looking military green colour.
Old 8th October 2011, 22:04   #2842
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
- lots of Scorp ads even in the Metros - on TV
yes they will need to keep expounding the value the Scorp offers to the consumer.
And I dont think that Scorp sales will really drop - atleast in the lower end variants.
If anything the VLX 2WD and VLX 4WD and VLX AT models are the only ones who will face the heat from the XUV500.
Theres still loads of people out there willing to buy a 10 lac SUV instead of a 16 lac one (On road BLR that is).
Shankar,

Why will the VLX AT face the heat of XUV500. There is no At variant in XUV500 - or did I miss some news?
Old 8th October 2011, 23:08   #2843
BHPian

Took the 5 min 1/2 km test drive of the XUV500.
I guess the long list of good things will be discussed at length.

The not so good things that I can think of at first glance are

1. Yoke reverse gear, which is understandable due to the six speed gear box.
2. No Auto gear as of now.
3. Some passable but still cheap plastics,inside door handles and buttons
4. Seat back adjustment mess up, where it just falls flat with no spring to push it back.
5. Relatively small rear glass area.
6. Small lower glove box.
7. Sun roof
8. Some 10 seat memory settings.
9. Heated seats.
10. Auto parking ala Passat.

I can't think of anything else that can be said to be a let down.
The one thing I was thinking on starting the engine was yeah the steering's going to be lifeless.
And had to check if engine was on and was surprised at the lack of vibration feel on the clutch and that clutch seems to be light for a diesel. Just confirmed with the poor guy who would be all dizzy with the whole day test drives that M&M hasn't started making petrol SUVs.

and in the mean while the electronic power steering did feel weighty. didn't feel too much body roll while cornering.
Wait I have never driven a SUV before and I'm cornering this like I would my Fiesta S albiet what ever conering you can do in museum road, st mark's road in Bangalore.

Surely if M&M can outdo every feature that the new Verna and Fiesta can do and at a price that would put a smile on your face, they can fix the not so nice things I mentioned too.

And I couldn't believe the price when I heard i twas Left staring at the pricelist... it was on-road Bangalore and not ex-showroom.

Point is XUV500 made me feel for the first time we have a vehicle that we can show off and say, hey we make things like this in India, it's no big deal.

Seriously M&M is going to have a tough time with this one. Waiting list that would make getting a swift diesel not an eternity anymore and a sharp price increase in my opinion is almost a certainty.

I'm not in the market for a vehicle like this but at the risk o sounding like a mole from M&M marketing arm, if anyone is, I'd say Just one thing "don't delay".
Old 8th October 2011, 23:23   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
Took the 5 min 1/2 km test drive of the XUV500.
I guess the long list of good things will be discussed at length.

The not so good things that I can think of at first glance are

7. Sun roof
8. Some 10 seat memory settings.
9. Heated seats.
10. Auto parking ala Passat.
Which model of the XUV500 has the above features?
Old 8th October 2011, 23:25   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
Which model of the XUV500 has the above features?
None of the 3 models have these . It says the XUV misses these features .
Old 8th October 2011, 23:38   #2846
BHPian

I just visited the G3 showroom in Malad/Kandivali and in 2 days there has been a massive transformation. The whole showroom has been turned into a jungle!

I couldn't take pics. It was still work in Progress, the entire showroom from floor to roof and walls is being turned into a jungle environment with trees and grass and there are 2 XUVs parked there. It was different and shows Mahindra's level of commitment to this car, but this Cheetah thing is perhaps being taken bit too far.

I had a close look at the car, and a couple of more observations but please take this in context, it is nitpicking - so far the fundamentals of the car are looking very promising

1. The plastics inside need improvement from both the quality and engineering perspective, the door plastics at the bottom of the door, the entire mountings in the interior and the exterior in the grill area need to be reworked in the next iteration.

2. Some of the spaces could be larger like the glove box, the linings are taking up space. More design savvyness here could help, the storage spaces are a bit small so far.

3. From an interior engineering perspective the space is there but the dark colours are not helping and seats can be redesigned with curves to give a feeling of spaciousness.

4. The seats don't envelop you, they could be made more ergonomic.

5. I took a peep at the bottom of the car and it looks well protected, it was looking pretty well engineered but I need to have a better look
Old 8th October 2011, 23:56   #2847
BHPian

Found this video on youtube. watch the first minute of the video which shows the xuv500 under test across various countries/terrain

Last edited by dockap : 8th October 2011 at 23:59.
dockap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 00:38   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Dynamic Corner lights - YouTube

Dose XUV also have Dynamic Corner feature?
the XUV has static cornering lights, like in VW Passat.
Old 9th October 2011, 00:47   #2849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the XUV has static cornering lights, like in VW Passat.
In the Passat the xenons too move along with the steering and it has the static cornering lights for lower speeds. Same as the Superb.
Old 9th October 2011, 01:01   #2850
BANNED

I happened to make a small trip to my friendly neighborhood Mahindra showroom for a TD, first thing in the morning; my observations might be repetitive or not, but here goes;

The best attributes of the car have been discussed at length and will probably be told by the SA. for the bad ones, we at team-bhp are always there to assist

- Low end and mid-end torque seems adequate for city traffic but do not expect to waltz past a slow moving car with the panache and surge of a sedan
- whilst breaking hard, the tires were screeching. it might be the new tires, or new brakes, but did not inspire much confidence in me
- The passenger side seat belt if kept hanging loosely invariably keeps banging against the hollow plastic column, very irritating
- the plastic lid on top of the dashboard refused to open in the showroom car; hmmm.. anyone worrying about long-term ownership?
- R17s kinda look puny on the sheer metal of this car, maybe an upgrade to wider R18s will help in the grip and looks of the car equally
- the middle seat in the second row is super uncomfortable as far as back rest is concerned, because one gets the convex feel of the arm-rest against the spine
- grains on the plastic and panel gaps were inconsistent
- and XUV 5OO has the most hideous sets of key fob thats there in the market, it looks like a square lump of plastic mated to the most grotesque set of buttons

Its not a car i would like to own over, say a Jetta, Laura or Civic. But if i want the feel of a big car (i am not calling it an SUV) and upgrading from a Xylo, Scorpio or Safari, this will be my next ride!

Last edited by methecupid : 9th October 2011 at 01:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks