Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 23:24   #2896
BHPian

It's no where mentioned that seat covers are from stanly. If they did have used it , M&M marketing would have painted the town red . W8 cannot have any other seat cover as we were informed that there are some sensors in the seats, may be some thing connected to the air bags .
Old 9th October 2011, 23:41   #2897
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
"Canteen" means "CSD" i.e Canteen Stores Dept.

It is a Govt of India undertaking which provides goods to the Defence (Army) personnel.

Buying a car from the canteen does save a lot of money; but the "privilege" is not available to all.
Folks, the CSD has stopped selling cars till the pending enquiry investigating abuse of the scheme is resolved. They have not been selling any cars since the past two months, and I don't forsee an early resolution to it.
Further, the interim solution tabled is to have a quota for each type of officer/jawan :-
Priority 1 : serving officers / officers who have fewer months of service left
Priority 2 : serving jawans/ other ranks
Priority 3 : retired officers
Priority 4 : all others
Don't think the XUV would be easily available in the CSD as there is a growing argument forwarded by the govt against allowing 10 lacs + value vehicles
Cheers
Old 9th October 2011, 23:44   #2898
abk
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
The 2 sensors on Windshield? Rain / Temperature / Auto Headlights?
However, no idea on which is which, no clue from Sales guys too. There are specialy trained sales people but who are not available always.

Just behind the IRVM on the top of windshield. Rain Sensor?

Attachment 823768
Certainly the rain sensor. Had the rain sensor on my E39 placed similarly.

Quote:
Slit at the Left Bottom corner of the windshield. Auto Headlights sensor?

Attachment 823767
Will hazard a guess that it indeed is. Subject to correction by more informed BHPians
Old 10th October 2011, 00:31   #2899
Senior - BHPian

Saw one on display at Mumbai airport today. Looked pretty impressive to be honest! Much better than in the pics. The front had those plastic honeycomb gill-like oddities that completely spoiled an otherwise impressive external facade. Am sure there would be a way to remove them - will have to wait and see.
Interiors looked nice, but the doors were locked so couldn't get a close look.
Time for a td methinks! And I think the xuv will have some serious road presence in black
Old 10th October 2011, 00:36   #2900
BHPian

Re: New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakh

If only the vehicle was not so forcefully over-designed on the outside. It takes a fabulously well put together vehicle and turns it into an attention seeking monster.

If only they knew that great design is when there is nothing left to remove, not add.
Old 10th October 2011, 01:26   #2901
BHPian

Hi All,

Did a little comparison chart of some of the diesel SUVs available in the UK with the XUV 500 AWD with the available data of the XUV.

*Presumption of XUV top speed at 180kph according to a review, could be more
* AWD price at 12.88 ex showroom exchange rate at GBP to INR 76
Attached Thumbnails
New Mahindra SUV for 2011 - Pics on Pg. 109 *UPDATE* XUV500 launched at 10.8 lakhs-suv-compare.jpg  

Old 10th October 2011, 01:33   #2902
BHPian

Re: Mahindra XUV Booking Vs Delivery Date...!!!

To be fair to the dealer, though we booked our XUV on 1st OCT, yet the bookng was executed in systemonly on 3rd Oct. Reason being on Saturday due to heavy rush their system collapsed by evening. We have a manual receipt dated 1st Oct and the system generated receipt of 3rd Oct....
2nd being their weekly off nothing happened....

Even by this timeline and after checking with other delivery dates middle of October looks obscene to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijesh View Post
Did you ensure that the dealer punched in the order online on 1st Oct?. In my case I had made the booking i.e. paid the money on 1st Oct, but the dealer entered the order only on the 3rd. In between I was undecided on the colour and variant and I communicated only on the 2nd. The other aspect is that the colour and variant determines the del. dates.

I booked W8 FWD Silver and entered in the system on 3rd Oct at Bangalore and delivery date is 14th Jan 2012.

I heard from the dealer that someone who booked purple W8 AWD on 4th Oct got the delivery date as Nov 1st week!
Old 10th October 2011, 01:41   #2903
BHPian

sorry, i did not read through all of it. How is the clutch while driving. I have a linea and i love its light clutch in diesel, i hated xylo for heavy springy clutch. Is it better in XUV? considering lot of city driving.
Old 10th October 2011, 01:45   #2904
BHPian

Quote:
The 2 sensors on Windshield? Rain / Temperature / Auto Headlights?
However, no idea on which is which, no clue from Sales guys too. There are specialy trained sales people but who are not available always.

Just behind the IRVM on the top of windshield. Rain Sensor?

Attachment 823768

Slit at the Left Bottom corner of the windshield. Auto Headlights sensor?

Attachment 823767
The second photo at left winshield corner is vehicle trace number tag
Old 10th October 2011, 03:16   #2905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Battery low for a vehicle which is less than 2 weeks old? That sound ridiculous ! This is one part I was actually worried about ! The gadgets. One one side you feel good about these, on the other we worry how long will it function without any issues !
This is not a defect or even surprising considering the fact that these vehicles are fiddled the whole day by customers who try and test each and every gadget available. I have even seen battery of skoda superb and VW Touareg dying in car exhibitions because customers were fiddling with them from couple of days. they were infact jump started when they were required to move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
This is valid for any car with integrated music system.

Of course the speakers can be upgraded along with subwoofer & amps. But you cannot install a aftermarket (read better) head unit.

Unless you are really a hardcore audiophile, you wont really need it because the XUV has all features such as USB, AUX, MP3, Bluetooth & even DVD as standard.

Even in my Punto, I have kept the head unit stock as I dint want to lose steering mounted controls and Blue&Me functionality. I just added 2 amps & upgraded speakers along with a sub & I am more than happy with the output.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranga View Post
Well if u see the space provided in the doors for speakers , not many options for adding any high end components . For sure we might add say a amp but not a decent head set . I am not sure of the nippon headset . They sound like trash without say a 7 band graph equalizer . Not sure how will additional amps , speakers help in this concept when the main head unit is garbage in / out . Pre amp is IMP for any sound system. The headset in xuv is so small for car of this standard .
Being a music buff I absolutely need to have a great sounding system in my next new car! so if the quality of sound wont improve even after changing the speakers to say Rockford fosgate or Bose and also adding a woofer and the required Amps, then its a problem! coz I am pretty impressed by this car and was seriously thinking about it. and I read somewhere in some review that the audio is infact by Onkyo. so I am guessing that it shouldn't be so bad. and I think that only the touch screen display might be of nippon but the audio player and the speakers might be of Onkyo or someother brand.

also I still have not seen the vehicle in flesh... so for those who actually have and can confirm.. are the plastics of dash board and in general that bad as they are made out to be?? I mean what if you compare it to say innova or cruze or altis or say even a top end Honda city. I mean does it feel really cheap?? coz that would be a major turn off. as the main factor is the feel good factor. you should get that special feeling every time you step into car worth 1.5 million!

and last but not the least... still eagerly awaiting the official team-bhp review before making any decision. as we bhpians now completely rely on the Team-bhp verdict as we know that it can answer many unanswered questions we all have in mind. as said by a member earlier... many of us out here are just the team-bhp review away from booking the XUV 500!

Last edited by magikrider : 10th October 2011 at 03:20.
Old 10th October 2011, 05:47   #2906
BHPian

I joined the t-bhp xuv500 bandwagon. Booked W6 Silver.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:16   #2907
BHPian

We are all waiting for the detailed review .
One of my friends gave a feedback that while he was doing the test drive , with 6 people in the XUV , it fell a bit sluggish on the power side .

Hence we need to wait for the team bhp review with

6 people ( Full house )
Good roads
bad roads
AWD based roads
and just not Mahindra Test tracks .
Old 10th October 2011, 08:54   #2908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Check my earlier posts on this thread and I had posted all details of the accessories available at an extra cost.
Yes there is a remote controller sitting around in the vehicle - kept in the cubbbyhole in front just below the music/ ac controls.
Are you sure? i asked dealer, he said received more than 10 vehicles and it was not available even in one.
Old 10th October 2011, 08:56   #2909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Congratulations on a very prudent decision...
The SLE is the most VFM Scorpio variant...you won't have too many headaches with the SLE.
Cheers,Vikram
Vikram, thanks for the confidence vote in the Scorpio SLE! It helps enormously to get actual owner feedback. Well, any more Scorpio discussion here would become OT, but thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
And I dont think that Scorp sales will really drop - atleast in the lower end variants.
If anything the VLX 2WD and VLX 4WD and VLX AT models are the only ones who will face the heat from the XUV500.
Theres still loads of people out there willing to buy a 10 lac SUV instead of a 16 lac one (On road BLR that is).
I am a prospective Scorpio SLE buyer and I believe your assessment is right.

The Scorpio SLE is a full Rs. 2.5 lakhs cheaper on road Bangalore than the XUV-W6. For the budget conscious, or people needing/wanting a proper, tried and tested off-roading capability, the Scorpio SLE is still VFM at just under Rs. 11 lakhs on road (BLR). Of course the XUV-X6 does offer a lot more, but still Rs. 2.5 lakhs is a substantial amount for many folks, me included.

I also think that the only the VLX 2WD will see erosion in sales. The VLX 4WD and VLX-AT may lose only those buyers who don't particularly want off-road capability. Others will still need the Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike View Post
and in the mean while the electronic power steering did feel weighty. didn't feel too much body roll while cornering.
Wait I have never driven a SUV before and I'm cornering this like I would my Fiesta S
Well, that's some compliment indeed coming from a Fiesta S owner! (BTW, nice to meet you here - I currently own both Ikon 1.6 and Fiesta S).

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
This is not a defect or even surprising considering the fact that these vehicles are fiddled the whole day by customers who try and test each and every gadget available. I have even seen battery of skoda superb and VW Touareg dying in car exhibitions because customers were fiddling with them from couple of days. they were infact jump started when they were required to move.
Yes, I agree with that, I was a witness to this. When I checked the XUV last Saturday, I couldn't open the rear door. Then the sales man came up and told me the battery was disconnected. He opened the hood, connected the battery, and opened the door for me to check inside. Later he locked it and disconnected the power again. Then, I was watching as several people came up and tried everything to open the rear door. They were pushing, pulling, poking. I won't be surprised if the door button and number plate lamps did break in the showroom.
Old 10th October 2011, 09:36   #2910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harimakesh View Post
The second photo at left winshield corner is vehicle trace number tag
Is it? How does it work? When is it used? for lost&found cases?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed