Width 1695 mm (66.7 in)
Height 1525 mm (60 in)
Curb weight 1,070 kg (2,359 lb)

Fiat Grande Punto
Wheelbase 2510 mm (98.8 in)
Length 4030 mm (158.7 in)
Width 1687 mm (66.4 in)
Height 1490 mm (58.7 in)
Curb weight 1015 kg (2238 lb) - 1040 kg (2293 lb)

Hyundai i20
Wheelbase 2525 mm (99.4 in)
Length 3940 mm (155.1 in)
Width 1710 mm (67.3 in)
Height 1505 mm (59.2 in)
Curb weight 1197 kg (2638 lb)

Dimensionally Jazz fits in between punto and i20. Just thinking about the space inside

While I do these studies all the time before buying a car, the less space in an i20 despite the longest wheelbase clearly shows that more than the space, the utilization of space matters more..and thats where Honda bests the others in most cases.
Old 5th April 2009, 14:40   #272
BHPian

There is no doubt about Honda's engineering skills, they only receive flak here for their pricing, in most developed countries Honda have a justified reputation for being a value buy and very reliable and now days good engineering. But they are definitely trying to up their brand value going by their ad campaigns and designs over the last 5 years

Hyundai has some way to go but their clearly trying very hard to improve which is a credit to them. The i20 is a very well put together and well built car. Anyone who's seen it upclose and driven it will vouch for good built quality. The jazz is engineered for space and known for its innovative use of space so unlikely i20 will be able to touch it on interior space, but build quality and spec of i20 will probably be better.
Old 5th April 2009, 16:20   #273
BHPian

Just happened to see the ground clearance of the Thai Jazz: 150 mm. If they launch it as is: It would scrape every speed breaker in BLR.

The GC on the City is low and it is a problem to tackle humps, I can't understand why Honda simply chose to ignore this issue.
Old 5th April 2009, 17:17   #274
Distinguished - BHPian

What a horrendous looking creation. But, yada yada, it'll sell.
Old 5th April 2009, 22:56   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
What a horrendous looking creation. But, yada yada, it'll sell.
its from a company called Honda and till date it has made over 24 million engines world wide ranging from lawnmover, gensets, cars, bikes,scooters, marine engines and even airplane engines!!!

did i miss anything?
Old 6th April 2009, 08:49   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
Just happened to see the ground clearance of the Thai Jazz: 150 mm. If they launch it as is: It would scrape every speed breaker in BLR.

The GC on the City is low and it is a problem to tackle humps, I can't understand why Honda simply chose to ignore this issue.
Oi, the Octy has a GC of 130mm. How many speedbreakers does it scrape? And how do you classify those abominations on the roads of BLR as speedbreakers anyhow? I'd call them mountains. Or carbreakers, to be more apt. Or SUVpass filters.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:21   #277
Senior - BHPian

i think there should be some citizen movement against these speed breakers! New ones are cropping up every day. In some roads there's a speed breaker every 20 meters apart.

Its irritating that you have to slow around these things even while you are on a pleasant weekend drive.
Old 6th April 2009, 11:25   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Oi, the Octy has a GC of 130mm. How many speedbreakers does it scrape? And how do you classify those abominations on the roads of BLR as speedbreakers anyhow? I'd call them mountains. Or carbreakers, to be more apt. Or SUVpass filters.
I've no idea about Octavia, have never driven one. I guess what matters is the height of under-body between the axles.

SUV Pass Filters: Not a bad name, I must say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
i think there should be some citizen movement against these speed breakers! New ones are cropping up every day. In some roads there's a speed breaker every 20 meters apart.

Its irritating that you have to slow around these things even while you are on a pleasant weekend drive.
OT: Went to DPS-East today to collect uniform for my son and was once again amazed at the number of speed breakers on the Sarjapur road. I think, Bangalore east is quickly becoming THE speed-breaker capital.

Cheers,
Su-47

Last edited by Su-47 : 6th April 2009 at 11:30.
Old 6th April 2009, 12:26   #279
gaurav.28ch

That red Jazz looks like a real ugly duckling...ughh !!

Old 6th April 2009, 12:51   #280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47 View Post
I've no idea about Octavia, have never driven one. I guess what matters is the height of under-body between the axles.

SUV Pass Filters: Not a bad name, I must say.

OT: Went to DPS-East today to collect uniform for my son and was once again amazed at the number of speed breakers on the Sarjapur road. I think, Bangalore east is quickly becoming THE speed-breaker capital.

Cheers,
Su-47
Couple of days back i drove from Domlur to Marathalli via Old airport road , it was crazy like speed-breaker for every 300mtrs are something and my cousin started counting after while and we ended up with around 15 humps before we reached marathalli.
Old 6th April 2009, 15:25   #281
BHPian

From what I have known, the Jazz is more expensive than the City in many countries. However its going to be the reverse in India, since Hatchbacks are always supposed to be cheaper than Sedans. Honda has exploited this situation very beautifully. They'll price the Jazz as a Premium Hatch back & charge the same price as those in other countries. Playing on the Indian psyche has helped them to push the price of the City to the skies.
An even better strategy would be to price the Top version of the Jazz very close to the SX4 & eat into what ever remaining sales of that car are. Just my guess...
Old 6th April 2009, 15:28   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
From what I have known, the Jazz is more expensive than the City in many countries. However its going to be the reverse in India, since Hatchbacks are always supposed to be cheaper than Sedans. Honda has exploited this situation very beautifully. They'll price the Jazz as a Premium Hatch back & charge the same price as those in other countries. Playing on the Indian psyche has helped them to push the price of the City to the skies.
An even better strategy would be to price the Top version of the Jazz very close to the SX4 & eat into what ever remaining sales of that car are. Just my guess...
Honda will price top end version of Jazz above SX4 (might even the base one)
Old 6th April 2009, 16:28   #283
gaurav.28ch

Honda sure knows how to play its cards. It knows how to pounce on Indian psyche by labelling Jazz as "Premium". And why not,it has done this successfully in the past. Hunter is again looking for a fresh kill.

Old 8th April 2009, 15:11   #284
BHPian

Indian specifications as we already know , the same is in page 4, we do not have the dimensions as of now.

jazz 1.2 i- vtec

Camshaft- SOHC
Cylinder Layout- In-line 4
Displacement (cc)- 1198
Fuel Delivery Type- PGM-FI
Fuel type Petrol Layout- Transverse
Maximum power (bhp@ rpm) -89@6000
Maximum torque (Nm @ rpm)- 114 @4900
Number of Cylinders- 4
Bore (mm)- 73
Stroke (mm) -71.58
Valves- 16, 4 per cylinder
Old 10th April 2009, 12:19   #285
Senior - BHPian

Jazz launch in June

I'd gone to the Honda Accord V6 launch in Chennai and this was one of the statements of the Honda India representative.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed