Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:26   #316
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Are they serious?!

Even the Accord V6 and CR-V don't have these!
At the dealer level. I think its a fancy way of saying that accessories will be available at the dealers at a fancy price.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:29   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I read the issue. Its one of those misleading things that ACI's started doing - they've driven a UK-spec car in UK, and claiming it to be an exclusive first-drive. I picked up the issue thinking that I'll get some good info on the India-spec version.

They say about the ride and handling, on the UK roads the Jazz blah blah, yet we expect a very different setup for the India-spec Jazz. Thank you very much. I'm extremely enlightened.

Disgusting!
This is done by almost all automotive publications everywhere in the world. I remember reading the first drive of the VW Golf MK VI on the canadian driver website. The drive was done in Finland but the article said "First Drive: 2010 VW Golf Mk VI."

By the way, ACI also has a first drive of the Chevrolet Cruze in their april issue.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:31   #318
Senior - BHPian

True, but you couldn't opt for a nav or sport tyres for an Accord or Civic, even at the dealer level.
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:38   #319
Senior - BHPian

I am pretty sure TBHP will be disappointed with Jazz similar to Accord V6 on the dynamics front. This version of Jazz is all about size carved out in a small car with Honda values.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:08   #320
Senior - BHPian

expected launch of the Jazz in 1.2 litre engine is around May or June this year.

well if VW Polo joins the band wagon with its 1.2 petrol and 1.4 diesel engines, it will surely give the jazz a run for its money! i hope the polo doesnt go pricy the way fabia did!
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:17   #321
BHPian

Below Details are from current ACI issue, is it right hand drive in UK ? I guess they have driven a UK spec 1.2 Jazz .

Length :3900mm
Power : 89bhp @ 6000rpm
Torque : 1.62kgm @4900rpm
Weight : 1047Kg
Power to Ratio : around 80W/Kg

On price front there are conflicting information:

ACI current issues says : "Estimated to be upwards of 6.5lakh"

Economic Times says this :"Jazz is likely to be the most expensive petrol hatchback in the market with an expected base price of Rs 5.5 lakh. It will be pitted against Skoda's Fabia, Tata Motors' Indigo, Ford Fusion and Hyundai's Accent besides Ritz the upcoming product from Maruti's stable. "

Honda CEO says this : ""We will try to pass the benefit of lower excise duty on Jazz but 30% of its components are imported and the weak rupee may lead to a higher price," Mr Takedagawa said. He however added that he company is not positioning Jazz as a volume generator and its best-selling sedan City will remain the largest car for Honda in India. "

Last edited by csnanjappa : 23rd April 2009 at 13:33.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:23   #322
BHPian

@csnanjappa: The same article has already been posted few posts back!
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:28   #323
Senior - BHPian

Indica Vista, i20, Fabia, Jazz, Polo, Grande Punto....

Looks like the market is going to be flooded by a deluge of overpriced and underpowered large hatches.

None of which will sell in any large number. The Swift is the only one that does good numbers, thanks to its diesel.
Old 23rd April 2009, 14:01   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
At the dealer level. I think its a fancy way of saying that accessories will be available at the dealers at a fancy price.
Considering the accessory prices for ANHC we can assume jazz will be a wallet burner as well.
IMO top model around 6.5(likely) is quiet overpriced but then people will buy blindly as its a HONDA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Indica Vista, i20, Fabia, Jazz, Polo, Grande Punto....

Looks like the market is going to be flooded by a deluge of overpriced and underpowered large hatches.

None of which will sell in any large number. The Swift is the only one that does good numbers, thanks to its diesel.
Disagree a bit.
I dont feel Vista being underpowered or overpriced(based on my TD experience and its on road price here)
Fabia,i20 do qualify for that in most peoples opinion(i20 do look a premium hatch though)
Polo i dont have much info about so no comments.
GP with a 90bhp(as expected) does not seems to be underpowered for a hatch,overpriced maybe(considering the diesel thing in GP Jazz will look very much overpriced).

Last edited by harry10 : 23rd April 2009 at 14:02.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:05   #325
BHPian

so, price wise, JAzz is the competitor of SX4, Fiesta etc...
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:13   #326
Senior - BHPian

I understand that Jazz will be another super hatch like Fabia.
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:03   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
not sure about Honda, but we know now that you are an Arnie fan.

I am sure Amit and some others would like them to be named as Raw Deal (City), Collateral Damage (Civic+speed breakers), and Stay Hungry (CRV at the petrol bunks)

guys, take this in lighter vein, don't flame me or this thread
Slightly offtopic but relevant! Even I am Amit. So, probably you can refer to him as Distinguished Amit

What would you call an Accord?
Old 24th April 2009, 01:55   #328
BHPian

The 89bhp 1.2-litre i-VTEC engine our test car came with feels weak, and its distinct lack of torque (84lb.ft at 4,900rpm) makes the Jazz feel heavy around town. That bugbear is alleviated by two things: a well-weighted, mechanical-feeling gear change that's a pleasure to work; and a willingness to rev freely (albeit slowly) well past 6,000rpm. It's nowhere near quick, but it's economical (53.3mpg) and clean (125g/km CO2).

What do u think!
Old 24th April 2009, 04:59   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icar View Post
The 89bhp 1.2-litre i-VTEC engine our test car came with feels weak, and its distinct lack of torque (84lb.ft at 4,900rpm) makes the Jazz feel heavy around town. That bugbear is alleviated by two things: a well-weighted, mechanical-feeling gear change that's a pleasure to work; and a willingness to rev freely (albeit slowly) well past 6,000rpm. It's nowhere near quick, but it's economical (53.3mpg) and clean (125g/km CO2).

What do u think!

Source for your news :Car reviews | Honda Jazz | Everyone for Jazz? | by Car Enthusiast

And its again for 1.2 Litre UK JAZZ
Old 24th April 2009, 11:23   #330
BHPian

I never expected the 114 Nm torque to be wonderful, but "distinct lack of torque"? I guess the culprit here is 4900 rpm that is full 900 rpm more than where the Hyundai Kappa makes its peak torque of (guess what?) 112 Nm.

Add to that:
"However, handling is as confidence inspiring as the average pre-election promise - the first two inches of travel at either side of the steering wheel don't turn the car so much as tilt the entire body in the opposite direction. The Jazz is, all in all, a pretty uninspiring car to drive. You'd never take it out just for the sake of it."

Source for the quoted text: Car reviews | Honda Jazz | Everyone for Jazz? | by Car Enthusiast

You too Honda! Thanks for shattering our hopes of a decent *premium* hatch.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed