Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 11:56   #136
BHPian

Diabloo buddy .. please re-read your post.
Its a direct comparison of how Honda seems to have priced similarly in UK and in India. (which u seem to agree with).
That is why i had to jump in and talk about the US market and that one should not come to such conclusions.

Well, I don't want to have an argument about this ... the rest, your selective amnesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo
I guess Honda cars are priced likewise in India. Even I don't get the 'ripping the customer' story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna
So, if they price it between 7.0-8.5 L onroad, it will be keeping in line with their pricing elsewhere and not something new they are adopting specifically for India (to rob Indian customers ).
Old 12th March 2009, 12:07   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloo View Post
I know there are a millions of people who don't know the full form of TCP/IP, yet browse Internet with glee . What a low life they must be leading
this one really made me . A priceless gem, diabloo!
Old 12th March 2009, 12:30   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Oi, the brilliant engine is an afterthought I suppose?
I'd rather have the old-gen Corolla for a good drive. Oh wait, I do! Not that that's the reason I'm Civic-bashing, honest. I have great regard for the car, just that I think it's overpriced.

Quote:
I know there are a millions of people who don't know the full form of TCP/IP, yet browse Internet with glee . What a low life they must be leading
What he meant to say referred to people who have no idea whatsoever about engines and tech.

Anyhow, that totally cracked me up Nice one !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Exteriors are nicer then Altis too. The thing is that the Civic looks like a Rs.14 lac rupee car. Altis looks like a Rs.8 lac rupee car. That's the problem. Even Linea looks richer then the Altis. I know looks are subjective but I am sure majority don't go 'OOOH' when they see the Altis while the Civic does get that response.
Thats exactly my point. Cash in on the style factor. Enough to justify a premium over the competition. And yes, looks are subjective.

Quote:
Huh?
Err...read that as "in a very long time". It's in the pipeline now, though.

Quote:
In that case, why do diesel Fiesta's , Verna's, Linea's and Octavia's outsell their petrol equivalents?
Because their petrol versions are not considered as good as the City as an overall package, Sir !! That's the whole point !! It's not like the petrol versions of these cars are better than the City. The ANHC IS better, but at a needlessly unnecessary premium !!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 12th March 2009 at 12:38.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:31   #139
BHPian

Quote:
I think you missed out what i wanted to say.I wanted to say that how many people actually buy a car coz it revvs upto 8K without getting hoarse.For that matter you can hardly go to such insane RPM's in the city. Majority of the people don't put in so much brains for buying a car. They buy cars for
1. Looks
2. Fuel Efficiency
3. Snob value attached.
Civic's got looks, has snob value of Honda and is not the most frugal.
Compare Altis with ANHC and one can easily make out the 8 lac car amongst both of them.

Well Diabloo bhai i didn't feel bad about the hilarious analogy you made coz i know you are an ardent Honda fan, only to miss out the context of mine saying so.

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 12th March 2009 at 12:38.
Old 12th March 2009, 12:35   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The conversion to Indian prices was done. GBP10K for both Fabia and Jazz equals approx Rs.7.5 Lacs.
Intention of posting the UK pricing was to show the relative differences in the prices between competing superminins in that market. It is just a coincidence that it translates to around Rs. 7.5 lacs.
Old 12th March 2009, 13:37   #141
BHPian

[quote=neotraveller;1209706]Diabloo buddy .. please re-read your post.
Its a direct comparison of how Honda seems to have priced similarly in UK and in India. (which u seem to agree with).

Thats why diabloo comapred UK market to indian market , because the size of UK market and India market may be same .

Its better to compare with the price thailand market i guess .

Comparing US market is like comparing apples and watermelons.
Old 12th March 2009, 14:27   #142
BHPian

New Prices for Honda Cars available at:

Honda Car India : Press Releases

[quote=csnanjappa;1209863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

Thats why diabloo comapred UK market to indian market , because the size of UK market and India market may be same .

Old 12th March 2009, 14:32   #143
BHPian

Please delete my previous post as the details were already posted in this thread.

[quote=csnanjappa;1209863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

Old 12th March 2009, 14:46   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was looking at the UK prices for the superminis (which are premium hatches in our context)

1. Skoda Fabia £8,195 - £13,140
2. Hyundai i20 £8,395 - £12,095
3. Suzuki Swift £8,750 - £11,990
4. Honda Jazz £9,780 - £13,362
5. Ford Fusion £11,995 - £15,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
comapred UK market to indian market , because the size of UK market and India market may be same.
From the prices mentioned above, Skoda Fabia, Ford Fusion and Hyundai i20 also seem to be priced on par with UK models but we have flamed all of them for over-pricing their hatchbacks and milking Indian customers. Ironically, when it comes to Honda, we justify the probable Indian Jazz prices by saying it will probably be on par with UK prices.

By the way, the Grande Punto Active 1.4 Petrol in UK costs GBP 10,050, roughly Rs.8.xx Lakhs but we expect the same car to be priced at Rs.5.5 lakhs here.

So, if it's Honda, Indian prices are compared to UK prices and we are happy. When it comes to Fiat, Skoda, Ford we want Indian prices to be substantially lower then UK prices and we are still not happy about it!

Last edited by amit : 12th March 2009 at 14:49.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:14   #145
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post
Well Diabloo bhai i didn't feel bad about the hilarious analogy you made
If thats your personal opinion, then probably you are off the mark. If you are generalizing, then you are wrong. The reason is its an open market. Manufacturer are welcome to price their products at that price which they feel they can sell.

If a car costs 6L and if you are willing pay only 5L, then you are not the customer for that car. But you can always say that 6L car is overpriced
Quote:
So, if it's Honda, Indian prices are compared to UK prices and we are happy. When it comes to Fiat, Skoda, Ford we want Indian prices to be substantially lower then UK prices and we are still not happy about it!
Old 12th March 2009, 15:43   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice one. Quiet true in fact.

So the debate is heating up. Well whatever we may say we are a very small group of people who analyze cars from every corner. Most car buying people do not have such thoughts.
Just a week back my bhaiya has bought a ANHC instead of Linea because of H badge so the truth remains most general people with limited knowledge about cars are still inclined towards honda.
Old 12th March 2009, 15:51   #147
BANNED

Well, just a correction - people with extensive knowledge about cars also go for Honda. Owner reports on this forum is a testimony for this undeniable fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Just a week back my bhaiya has bought a ANHC instead of Linea because of H badge so the truth remains most general people with limited knowledge about cars are still inclined towards honda.
BTW, congratulations ! I guess you have underestimated your bhaiya's car knowledge !!!

Last edited by diabloo : 12th March 2009 at 15:54.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:00   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If a car costs 6L and if you are willing pay only 5L, then you are not the customer for that car. But you can always say that 6L car is overpriced
Oh so now you are telling me that I don't deserve to buy a Honda?

By the way, if a car is worth 5 lacs and you are willing to pay 6 lacs for it then what does that make you?

OK all non-honda owners, now it's official. All of us who don't have Honda's just don't deserve to own them. What this also means is that last month approximately 13,268 people didn't deserve a Honda.

By the way, when will you start replying logically? When every arguement to support your darling Honda runs out you resort to personal attacks and make fun of people who you think are against the hallowed H.

Last edited by amit : 12th March 2009 at 16:10.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:12   #149
Team-BHP Support

Arre Amit, you only said that only when one reached enlightenment can they be selected by Honda to buy one of their cars.

So my office just lost 2 ANHC buyers after the price increase.

The main disappointment for me is that there is no way my dad is going to shell out 22L for the Accord now and I was looking forward for the Accord V6 which is also ruled out since it is 24.8L ex showroom.

So this weekend time to TD the Superb and see if it's worth it.

That's 3 customers gone due to price increase.
Old 12th March 2009, 16:27   #150
BANNED

If you don't want to pay, just move on - buy what you want to buy. No need to say that grapes are sour.
Quote:
Oh so now you are telling me that I don't deserve to buy a Honda?
Unless I have knowledge of prices of all parts, I can't estimate the worth. Pity that we don't have something like iSuppli for cars.
Quote:
By the way, if a car is worth 5 lacs and you are willing to pay 6 lacs for it then what does that make you?
My posts are logical and makes perfect sense. A product has a price - if you don't want to pay, don't buy. You will find a product for the price you are willing to pay.
Quote:
By the way, when will you start replying logically?
Guess who is practicing the tactics you have just mentioned
Quote:
When every arguement to support your darling Honda runs out you resort to personal attacks and make fun of people who you think are against the hallowed H.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed