Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 15:28   #301
BHPian

Honda is gearing up for the launch of Jazz due to the upcoming Grande Punto in June, also they are adveritising the ANHC very heavily after the launch of Linea.

At 6L for the base version, it will not at all be a VFM, but as rightly said it will sell in numbers because Honda brand is quite popular in india.
Old 21st April 2009, 17:27   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Honda Jazz will sport the highest price tag while offering the least amount of features among premium hatchbacks like the Hyundai i20 and Fiat Grande Punto. It will also outsell all other premium hatcbacks in India by a minimum of 2:1.

at the risk of sounding like a HONDA FAN ..

I think you are echoing pretty much the sentiments of anyone who would NOT consider the HONDA for purchase ( and would just be a HONDA critic ) but you have to admit that people who DO PUT IN THEIR MONEY and buy the car would possibly see value in the features it does have and all importantly the good resale value element that comes with all HONDAs atleast in India

all said and done, the market forces determine what features a customer would pay for and what he would possibly do without

from the pictures, it looks bigger than an i20. not sure about the GP - which i think would be of similar dimensions

but then, the thing with HONDA is the packaging inside would unlock more space than what it looks from outside
Old 21st April 2009, 17:52   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
at the risk of sounding like a HONDA FAN ..

I think you are echoing pretty much the sentiments of anyone who would NOT consider the HONDA for purchase ( and would just be a HONDA critic )
It's just an observation. I am definately not a Honda critic and you are reading too much between the lines. I have a SX4 and if I have to upgrade to a new car today I would drive to the nearest Honda showroom and buy a Civic without even looking at other cars in that segment. At the same time, I do feel that the City is way to overpriced for the features it offers and I would never buy the City in the configuration that it's avaliable today.

Quote:
but you have to admit that people who DO PUT IN THEIR MONEY and buy the car would possibly see value in the features it does have
We don't know about the Jazz but if we talk about the City, all I can say is What features?

Quote:
all importantly the good resale value element that comes with all HONDAs atleast in India
Agreed but I never understood why anyone would buy a new car today based on what he can get 3-5-7 years later! That's just me though. I also like to put a monetary value to intangables like fun to drive and how a car makes you feel while determining value for money so you see I am pretty weird.

I have learnt a lesson to pick a car that appeals to my heart rather then my head. I used my head to buy a car in 2007 and it didn't quite work out .

Quote:
all said and done, the market forces determine what features a customer would pay for and what he would possibly do without
Sure but why would that customer pay more money for fewer features in a Honda but demand more features for lesser money from a non-Honda? I think even the biggest Honda fan will probably agree that Honda gets away by overpricing their cars and at the same time offering fewer features then other car maker but I don't blame them. Most Indian car buyers expect companies like GM, Ford, Fiat, Tata to give them big powerful engines, class leading fuel economy, safety features for cheap price. Similar demands are never made from a Honda. A non-Honda is expected to offer new features never seen before in the segment, non-Honda's are expected to push the envelope further with their new cars. I remember people cribbing that x car maker did'nt offer EPS in their car in India but they do so abroad. Honda offers ABS and twin airbags after every car in it's segment and is hailed for giving us state of the art safety features. Yes, I know ABS and airbags in a City are standard across the range unlike in a non-Honda, but the price you pay for a base City is almost equal to the ABS and airbags equipped non-Honda. I don't know why people don't see that.

By the way, I feel the only Honda's that are priced correctly are the Civic and Accord. I love the new CR-V and it would be the SUV I would buy if I had that kind of money but after the ridiculous price hike, the CR-V too has become another overpriced Honda.

Last edited by amit : 21st April 2009 at 18:00.
Old 21st April 2009, 18:09   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
We don't know about the Jazz but if we talk about the City, all I can say is What features?

Agreed but I never understood why anyone would buy a new car today based on what he can get 3-5-7 years later! That's just me though. I also like to put a monetary value to intangables like fun to drive and how a car makes you feel while determining value for money so you see I am pretty weird.

. Most Indian car buyers expect companies like GM, Ford, Fiat, Tata to give them big powerful engines, class leading fuel economy, safety features for cheap price. Similar demands are never made from a Honda. .
Like i said, the resale value does play into people's mind when they buy the car because it is indeed such a big killer when its time to upgrade/buy a new car. so quite possibly people are willing to give away a few features for that assurance of getting better resale.
unfortunately a lot of car buying public buys with the head and not the heart like many of us would.

to your last point - its brand perception my friend ! you see it in almost all categories of products..

does anyone check before buying FEVICOL whether it sticks or not ? try giving a different brand, and then people want to check how it works, how long it lasts, how much it costs etc etc

But i should add here that brand perception is also not just a function of jazzy advsertising, its carefully built over time and can be destroyed in half as much time or lesser

i am going seriously OT - let me stop here
Old 21st April 2009, 18:22   #305
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Honda dealer today. He was mentioning that Jazz booking will start in May end. They have got allocation of 40 Jazz for June delivery. So launch is on schedule. GP where art thou????
Old 21st April 2009, 20:07   #306
BHPian

I guess we can discuss about the price , once it becomes official.
ANHC is overpriced its true , but how many Linea's do u find of your VFM .

No one who has purchased ANHC have regretted paying the extra money compared to other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
Spoke to Honda dealer today. He was mentioning that Jazz booking will start in May end. They have got allocation of 40 Jazz for June delivery. So launch is on schedule. GP where art thou????
Karan , any info on launch of Auto-tran variant ?

Last edited by csnanjappa : 21st April 2009 at 20:08.
Old 21st April 2009, 21:07   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post

Karan , any info on launch of Auto-tran variant ?

Sorry buddy didnt get info regarding AT. But i think it ll be launched after few month after MT launch. But even my dealer mentioned 5.5 lacs ex showroom for base version.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:23   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
5.5 lacs ex showroom for base version.
So that's about 6.32 on road? How much does the base version of a Fabia (Petrol) or an I20 cost on road? I believe these are the hatches that Jazz is after.

Off Topic: Looking at how Honda overprices its cars and still kills its competitors, I am sure the rivals must have nick named Honda Products as - Terminator (City), Predator (CRV), Eraser (Civic), commando (Accord)!

Last edited by amtak : 22nd April 2009 at 09:25.
Old 22nd April 2009, 17:51   #309
BHPian

Guys , Honda Jazz first drive report already in news stand .
Finally, a Honda hatch! Come along for our exclusive first drive of the soon-to-be-launched new Jazz, which is Honda’s first attempt at cracking the small-car.
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:06   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Off Topic: Looking at how Honda overprices its cars and still kills its competitors, I am sure the rivals must have nick named Honda Products as - Terminator (City), Predator (CRV), Eraser (Civic), commando (Accord)!
not sure about Honda, but we know now that you are an Arnie fan.

I am sure Amit and some others would like them to be named as Raw Deal (City), Collateral Damage (Civic+speed breakers), and Stay Hungry (CRV at the petrol bunks)

guys, take this in lighter vein, don't flame me or this thread
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:18   #311
BHPian

News excerpt from Economic Times dated 23/04/2009

Honda to launch Jazz in June at Rs 5.5 lakh onwards
After a decade long operations in India, the largest player in the mid-size cars, Honda Siel Cars (HSCI) is entering the high volume hatchback category with its small car Jazz, a top company executive said. The car will have a new 1.2 litre engine developed exclusively for the Indian market, carrying highest fuel efficiency in its segment.
Jazz also called Fit in certain markets, is the only small car in Honda's global portfolio. To be launched in India in the month of June, Jazz is likely to be the most expensive petrol hatchback in the market with an expected base price of Rs 5.5 lakh. It will be pitted against Skoda's Fabia, Tata Motors' Indigo, Ford Fusion and Hyundai's Accent besides Ritz the upcoming product from Maruti's stable.
Speaking to ET, HSCI managing director & CEO Masahiro Takedagawa said, "Jazz will have all the features found in a premium large car. Our survey shows that 80% hatchback customers feel that these cars lack legroom and headroom space which we have addressed in Jazz."
He added, "We have designed a special engine for India to optimise fuel efficiency and power, which delayed the launch by one year. Jazz also comes strapped with a toughened suspension to meet stiff roads conditions in India."
The car is based on Honda's City platform and will have a high 70% localisation. Jazz is likely to endorse Honda pioneered V-Tec technology for high fuel efficiency, which is already used in the Honda City engine. Jazz will also qualify for the concessional 8% excise duty under government's small car definition.
"We will try to pass the benefit of lower excise duty on Jazz but 30% of its components are imported and the weak rupee may lead to a higher price," Mr Takedagawa said. He however added that he company is not positioning Jazz as a volume generator and its best-selling sedan City will remain the largest car for Honda in India.
Jazz will have customisation option for navigation system, in-car entertainment, sporty tyres and other gizmos at the dealer level. It will be launched with manual transmission and will be studded with an automatic transmission later.
According to sources in the automobile market, Honda could also launch a diesel variant of Jazz in the next few years. The company is targeting smaller cities and towns for the new car and plans to add 10 more dealerships in the next one year to the current tally of 106 across the country.

Source : Honda to launch Jazz in June at Rs 5.5 lakh onwards- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:48   #312
Senior - BHPian

well, this sums it up, Manual now, Auto transmission later on.

It will also compete with Fiats GP, I think ET didnt mention that.

Hyundai accent competing with Jazz, well Accent is with 1.5 Liter engine, however could be because of old model (to be taken off)
Old 23rd April 2009, 10:31   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnieboy View Post
"We will try to pass the benefit of lower excise duty on Jazz but 30% of its components are imported and the weak rupee may lead to a higher price," Mr Takedagawa said. He however added that he company is not positioning Jazz as a volume generator and its best-selling sedan City will remain the largest car for Honda in India.
So it's pretty clear that Honda is going to price the car high. They expect City to sell more then Jazz so the pricing seems like it will be very close which may prompt people to 'upgrade' to the Honda sedan rather then buy a Honda hatch.

Quote:
Jazz will have customisation option for navigation system, in-car entertainment, sporty tyres and other gizmos at the dealer level.
Are they serious?!

Even the Accord V6 and CR-V don't have these!

Quote:
It will be launched with manual transmission and will be studded with an automatic transmission later.
Typical copy paste job from the company brochure. Whats the 'studded with an A/T" part. Is it going to have some space age A/T? But, a great move. This may force Hyundai and Fiat to offer an A/T on their i20 and Grande Punto.

Quote:
According to sources in the automobile market, Honda could also launch a diesel variant of Jazz in the next few years.
Highly unlikely.
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:34   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Guys , Honda Jazz first drive report already in news stand .
Finally, a Honda hatch! Come along for our exclusive first drive of the soon-to-be-launched new Jazz, which is Honda’s first attempt at cracking the small-car.
:: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

I read the issue. Its one of those misleading things that ACI's started doing - they've driven a UK-spec car in UK, and claiming it to be an exclusive first-drive. I picked up the issue thinking that I'll get some good info on the India-spec version.

They say about the ride and handling, on the UK roads the Jazz blah blah, yet we expect a very different setup for the India-spec Jazz. Thank you very much. I'm extremely enlightened.

Disgusting!
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:19   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy View Post
I read the issue. Its one of those misleading things that ACI's started doing - they've driven a UK-spec car in UK, and claiming it to be an exclusive first-drive. I picked up the issue thinking that I'll get some good info on the India-spec version.

They say about the ride and handling, on the UK roads the Jazz blah blah, yet we expect a very different setup for the India-spec Jazz. Thank you very much. I'm extremely enlightened.

Disgusting!
Its not the first time they have done this, I think this has been their trend since the last 2 -2.5 years to go one up on the other publications, not only them even other magazines do this as well. Infact I was wondering what they will have as a scoop or the cover story for this month, since there were no new launches in the last few weeks.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks