Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2011, 19:25   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Peugeot Citroen to re-enter India, to launch sedan

PSA to launch the C5? It is a gamble.
Will we get the Hydra-matic suspension - which gives what motoring journos call the "magic carpet" ride? I certainly hope so. It feels amazing.
Will they dial out all the traditional Citroen quirkiness? It polarises opinion, but will also go a long way in building the brand.

All said and done, their diesels are divine. Citroens are also known for VFM pricing, and if that is carried over into India pricing, their chances of success are reasonably good.
Old 9th February 2011, 19:30   #62
BHPian

They can pose a threat only if they price the car properly. I hope they get the 408 in addition to the 307 they are getting here. Just dug up Wiki, the 307 is around 4.2 metres long. Forget the benefit. So, indirectly, the 307 will be (atleast should be) priced in Punto/i20 territory.

Whatever they do, diesel engines make supreme sense. Diesel variants have to be launched alongside the petrol counterparts.

In a nutshell, Peugeot, get a diesel engine, let it be refined and fuel efficient, price the car well, and it is game on!

Cheers!
Cartman.
Old 10th February 2011, 17:19   #63
An1
BHPian

re: Peugeot coming back to India *Update* Manafacturing facility to be located in Gujarat

As per their reports, Peugeot plans to launch the 307, which already is an old model which they've replaced with 308 in 2007, in many markets.

While in UK, for 307 there was a perception that it suffers from below average build quality and reliability. As a matter of fact, in 2005 I remember it was placed at the bottom of the heap out of approx. 160 cars, maybe 158 / 159 in a survey by Top Gear.
Old 10th February 2011, 21:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

re: Peugeot coming back to India *Update* Manafacturing facility to be located in Gujarat

Nice to hear they will be coming. When are they going to leave?

I doubt if there will be any takers for the brand. One bad experience is good enough. Case in point is Fiat. Besides, does any one know how to pronounce the name?
Old 10th February 2011, 21:43   #65
BHPian

^^^^^^^
Maybe they should also release a full page ad like Volkswagen did as to how to pronounce theirs. Knowing how stingy they are (they owe some of us money) I doubt they would do it. :-)
Old 10th February 2011, 21:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Does PSA Peugeot have some cases pending against it in Indian courts? I have heard so, not sure whether I am right. If yes, isn't it a burden for them to settle them?

Oh in which case one of the cases would be my father's (who is no more) the company has had no ethics in the past so how on earth will they ever change. Cheating people by making booking & fleeing with the booking amount/s

I remember clearly we booked the Peugeot at Bhikaji Cama Place, Vivek Automobiles. The scum bags never gave us the car nor refunded the money. If I can find the booking form, I am surely going to file another case against them & claim damages, mental agony, harassment, cheating etc etc etc

No they are not welcome & their so called cars are a damn heap of crap
Old 10th February 2011, 22:35   #67
Senior - BHPian

@Ricky_63 That a bit strong,i can understand the bitterness after having such a sad experience with them and i hope someday you do get justice,but their cars arent crap.Peugeot has and does makes some fine cars and their hatchbacks and supermini's have been bestsellers for many years,atleast in europe,not to mention quite a history in racing and rallying.I am sure there were quite a few happy 309 owners in india ,maybe some even on tbhp

Their trademark headlamp design was as recognizable as BMW's kidney grille,although their current designs seems to be moving away from a family look.
I like the french quirkiness that comes with their cars and if they want to launch their cars here,sure more the merrier.

Yes they will have to reposition themselves and do a hell lot of branding,but then customer memory is short and if u can offer what a customer needs in a good value for money and reliable package it will sell.

Last edited by avishar : 10th February 2011 at 22:36.
Old 11th February 2011, 00:29   #68
BHPian

Well, can't help but say -

"Skoda and Peugeot, making haters out of Indians since 19xx"

One doesn't get to see too many Peugeots on the road and neither are they regulars on the classified, so I bet the owners like them and are still keeping them.

How does one source parts for these Frenchies?

Can anyone tell me if the cars were any good - engine, handling, equipment level and fit& finish wise?
Old 11th February 2011, 11:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Besides, does any one know how to pronounce the name?
In South Africa, I had heard from their ads in cinema theatres that it is pronounced as SEE-THROW-EHN.
The S in SEE is somewhere between the English s and z.
The umlaut over the last E changes the pronounciation to EHN, and not ON like other French words that have the combination EN.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:47   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
I remember clearly we booked the Peugeot at Bhikaji Cama Place, Vivek Automobiles. The scum bags never gave us the car nor refunded the money. If I can find the booking form, I am surely going to file another case against them & claim damages, mental agony, harassment, cheating etc etc etc
Its going to be very interesting while they settle. I am sure Padmini Automobiles are smiling as they will be the first one to sue PSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
@Ricky_63 That a bit strong,i can understand the bitterness after having such a sad experience with them and i hope someday you do get justice,but their cars arent crap.
If we humans have complete control over your feelings then a sentiment would never arise. The logical step for Indian company registrar should be to make them pay and then get them registered.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:22   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
They can pose a threat only if they price the car properly. I hope they get the 408 in addition to the 307 they are getting here. Just dug up Wiki, the 307 is around 4.2 metres long. Forget the benefit. So, indirectly, the 307 will be (atleast should be) priced in Punto/i20 territory.
AFAIK the Peugeot 207 is the competitor to the Punto , while 308/307 competes against the likes of VW Golf.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:47   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post

Whatever they do, diesel engines make supreme sense. Diesel variants have to be launched alongside the petrol counterparts.

In a nutshell, Peugeot, get a diesel engine, let it be refined and fuel efficient, price the car well, and it is game on!

Cheers!
Cartman.
307 is outdated model,they have 308 replaced 307. This car is not in the same class as i20 or punto. Peugeot has 207 which is competing with the likes of i20/Yaris, Fiesta.
Old 12th February 2011, 11:06   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
@Ricky_63 That a bit strong,i can understand the bitterness after having such a sad experience with them and i hope someday you do get justice,but their cars arent crap.Peugeot has and does makes some fine cars and their hatchbacks and supermini's have been bestsellers for many years,atleast in europe,not to mention quite a history in racing and rallying.I am sure there were quite a few happy 309 owners in india ,maybe some even on tbhp

Their trademark headlamp design was as recognizable as BMW's kidney grille,although their current designs seems to be moving away from a family look.
I like the french quirkiness that comes with their cars and if they want to launch their cars here,sure more the merrier.

Yes they will have to reposition themselves and do a hell lot of branding,but then customer memory is short and if u can offer what a customer needs in a good value for money and reliable package it will sell.

Put yourself in my shoes & you will be purging expletives too !!

I am aware that "some of their cars" are brilliant, what they offered here was if nothing else then outdated. IF they are to come back & do business here, the least they should do is make amends to those that they cheated.

Ok - I stand corrected. Not all of their cars are crap.
Old 6th April 2011, 23:53   #74
Senior - BHPian

According to Overdrive , P-C is looking is yet to finalise the plant , that means there are still a couple of years more for the plant to get working . But that wont stop P-C from launching cars in india . Although the india/emerging market centric car is under development , P-C will launch the 508 and 3009 mpv in india first as a cbu . 508 may cost around 20 laks , with petrol / diesel options ranging 1.6 - 2 L engine , with power output of 112 - 204 ps .
Old 4th June 2011, 18:25   #75
Senior - BHPian

If the economic times report is to be believed, the Gujarat govt. is looking to get Peugeot to set up shop on its soil. While Gujarat is a case study for other states as far as creating an investment friendly environment, the same cannot be said about Peugeot in India.

'Nano' state Gujarat wooing top automakers; Maruti, Peugeot plan to set up plant - The Economic Times

Are they going to go the small car/sedan route or will they launch the big ticket car to start of with? Either way, Peugeot-Citroen have a lot of brand re-building and customer perception re-wiring to do in our market. They might even find it easier to start afresh in India with their Citroen brand/badging, given the negative emotions attached to the Peugeot name tag.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks