Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 10:25   #166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Err having driven enough turbo diesels, I'd say by the time you blokes with turbos get into the turbo band, we petrolheads would already have disappeared .
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
And yeah by the time the turbo kicks in, the petrol heads would be a mile away !
Disappeared and mile away !!

I think you people have driven some turbo diesels which spools up at 6000rpm.
Old 30th March 2009, 10:43   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn
I have never had an issue steering my Verna at 120 - 140 - 160 kmph on Indian highways (Mysore road / Bangalore - Salem / Bangalore - Chennai, etc.). I do gradual curves at those speeds on highways that have 2 or 3 lanes on one side of the road, because it is safety first for me, and it is plain eazy with the Verna. If you are talking about the 'feel' necessary to do this stunt on a dividerless highway in India, you need to participate in a rally. Not on our roads. And I bet the Fiesta TDCi can't even maintain that speed, forget handling it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmn View Post
anachronix, this is exactly where you guys are missing my point.

I would never perform that stunt - even if 100 people say that the Verna is capable of doing that.
Oh well when you said you were doing speeds of upto 160KMPH, I was wondering if you had come across that particular stretch!

140KMPH to 160KPMH on Indian roads is not a safe speed in my books.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:22   #168
BANNED

Quote:
Oh well when you said you were doing speeds of upto 160KMPH, I was wondering if you had come across that particular stretch!

My dear - this is what I said: "I do gradual curves at those speeds". Read gradual. I would never do the stunt you described on public roads, and the Verna does not have to be able to do that to qualify as anything.

Of course I will slow down to a safe speed at unsafe turns. I have said this in many places in my other posts in this thread.
Old 30th March 2009, 11:31   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

Rofl
+1 to that

By the time these petrols get into their meaty powerband of 5000+rpms a spooled turbo would decimate all the past miliseconds lost because of lag and still be in profit.

Jai Turbocharger. Petrols ka class ich nahi boss
Old 30th March 2009, 13:34   #170
BHPian

Quote:

On the Bangalore to Chennai GQ Road as you approach Vaniyambadi there is a flyover which turns left hand almost at 90 Degree. Try taking the turn at speeds above 120KMPH in your Verna. And do let us know the experience!
90 degree bend @ 120kmph? Thats a disaster be it any car. Wonder who did that @ 130kmph in a swift. Don't over exaggerate your statements.

Quote:

Or if you want to keep saying that Verna handles more than expectations then you are under a perception cloud. The verna body roll is just too sickening & the brakes are just too bad in the non-ABS versions.

And yeah by the time the turbo kicks in, the petrol heads would be a mile away !
anachronix you need to TD a Verna again. Brakes are not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

+1 to this. A mile away would be an understatement here.
Old 30th March 2009, 13:38   #171
BHPian

Quote:

A swift diesel could take it at 130KMPH!
And then you mention this.

Quote:

Old 30th March 2009, 13:42   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Vahanpujari, by 4 random letters, did you mean my ID? Even if you did, I don't mind. Well, mine is not random. sd is for Sandeep and mn is for Menon I find that short and convenient!
Oh. For a moment, it looked like it stands for Seung Dong Myung Nam-kyu.
[/quote]
Verna airbag issue is one among the very very few differences / exceptions you will find. That too is because of the ridiculous excise and duty structure in India for big cars.[/quote]

- Either Govt of India is to be blamed for having different Excise & Duty structure for Verna as compared to that of all other C Segment cars
- Or All other C Segment cars are to be blamed for being costlier than Verna
Old 30th March 2009, 14:01   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
90 degree bend @ 120kmph? Thats a disaster be it any car. Wonder who did that @ 130kmph in a swift. Don't over exaggerate your statements.

anachronix you need to TD a Verna again. Brakes are not that bad.

+1 to this. A mile away would be an understatement here.
My friend,

Thats no exaggeration! It was not a cakewalk for the Swift, it did its share of scream and squeal .

I havent driven the Verna on the GQ or any highway, but driven my friend's within the city. The body roll was just too much to my liking! The motor is powerful and there is no debate. It can put many petrol cars to shame on a straight line. On twisty roads, it would lose its game.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:11   #174
BANNED

Quote:
I havent driven the Verna on the GQ or any highway
Now we know why the debate was going the way it was. So much noise and challenging, without even trying it out! Way to go!
Old 30th March 2009, 14:36   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now we know why the debate was going the way it was. So much noise and challenging, without even trying it out! Way to go!
Challenges! For what? Quoting the inability of a car is Noise?
Old 30th March 2009, 14:40   #176
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Oh. For a moment, it looked like it stands for Seung Dong Myung Nam-kyu.
Verna airbag issue is one among the very very few differences / exceptions you will find. That too is because of the ridiculous excise and duty structure in India for big cars.[/quote]

- Either Govt of India is to be blamed for having different Excise & Duty structure for Verna as compared to that of all other C Segment cars
- Or All other C Segment cars are to be blamed for being costlier than Verna[/quote]

I like your sense of humor with regard to my name, pujari. You do that very well. Keep at it.

Air bag issue - I have made it clear that it is something the car lacks for sure. The excise part of it was additional fact, not an excuse. People who know, know.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:42   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Challenges! For what? Quoting the inability of a car is Noise?
Its not noise. But preferably before going hammer and tongs with criticism, always better to actually try the car out before you make your statements. And at what point in the recent past have you actually witnessed any car being able to challenge the verna's straight line speed? Its been 6 months since I last actually found anyone being able to overtake me. Only if I find the guy to be rash and crazy do I pull over to the left of the road and slow down enough for him to overtake me. And invariably I'll end up overtaking him again at some point.
Dont tell me I didnt warn you that you'll have lots of verna owners vying for your blood!

Last edited by pras.oct25 : 30th March 2009 at 14:47.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:50   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
Its not noise. But preferably before going hammer and tongs with criticism, always better to actually try the car out before you make your statements. Dont tell me I didnt warn you that you'll have lots of verna owners vying for your blood!
Absolutely funny!

But the truth stays that the Verna cant do what a Swift can do at high speeds! I dont have to TD it on the highway to say this.

Pras, I agree there is nothing in that segment to beat a Verna on a straight line. But there are too many vehicles to eat it on twisty roads.

Last edited by anachronix : 30th March 2009 at 14:52.
Old 30th March 2009, 14:58   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely funny!

But the truth stays that the Verna cant do what a Swift can do at high speeds! I dont have to TD it on the highway to say this.

Pras, I agree there is nothing in that segment to beat a Verna on a straight line. But there are too many vehicles to eat it on twisty roads.
Agreed on that. The verna is iffy around the bends, but it more then makes up for it in the straight line. Likewise the fiesta is fantastic on the bends, but will be eaten up by the verna in the straight line both in terms of top speed and in terms of acceleration. But then again, it must be added. Doing curves at 120km/hr or more is definitely not advisable, immaterial of whether it is the lighter verna or the rock solid fiesta. Handling curves at speed also requires a good degree of driving skill too, and I guess anyone who puts safety first wouldnt try 90 degree turns at 130km/hr!! So a comparison at that speed doesnt really prove much except the fact that there are people out there who really like to push limits, and taking that into account, no wonder there are so many accidents.You cant just say that vernas are involved in a lot of accidents.
This is turning out to be a fun way to spend a boring afternoon at work
Old 30th March 2009, 15:01   #180
BANNED

Quote:
But the truth stays that the Verna cant do what a Swift can do at high speeds!
Absolutely right, man. Swift is far better than any of the B-segment cars, and many of the C-segment cars including Verna when it comes to high-speed handling.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed