Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 15:07   #181
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi Guys,

.Attitude like no one can beat me.
for daily run in city condition,i think verna is not a car.Turbo lag is very evident till 2000rpm.it's very boring to drive the car in city traffic.A lot of gear changes needed.Moreover we waste the car's reserve power too.
In Highway no one beat verna.
still i prefer Linea because i need a car for daily commutation between my home and office and some highway trips.
i know,it's not powerful but it serves its best what the car meant for
I don't need a powerful car rather i need a comfortable car to drive.
I am very much satisfied with the enough power(shows my age ) of my taste and driving capabilities of linea.
If you need a FAMILY car,go and buy Linea
If you need a Powerful car,go and book Verna Crdi
I did not understand you concern about wasting the car's reserve power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
According to a friend at Hyundai Service, the turbo or intercooler (he wasn't clear on this) has a known flaw and they're routinely replacing them. Hyundai has been generous enough to even subsidise costs on the spare part as well. In fact, now that I think about it.. last year (long before I was aware of this turbo issue), I had asked for a Verna TD which never arrived. When we called them later on, they said the vehicle broke down and was having issues with its turbo. At that time I never thought of it as an issue specific to the Verna, but merely thought turbo diesels were unreliable.
the verna has a turbo a VGT at that and a vertically mounted intercooler right next to the radiator in the front its very easy to make it out , do check out whne you get the chance to get intimate with a verna !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post

Verna never came with the Intercooler. Correct me if i'm wrong and my cousin's Verna had done 95k KM since he bought it in nov. 2006 i guess. He havnt spent a single penny on it. No Turbo Issues. No Engine broke down. Nothing. Just the service costs. Just he had a suspension overhaul and that too under warranty which is normal for indian road conditions. I can anyday go for Verna for it's shear power, reliability, A.S.S , low spare parts cost, low service bills, extended warranty (hyundai is giving now for it). What else do you need? People say it is ugly, but people havnt seen a blood red or white verna with black glasses and alloys, it looks like a killer and sporty.
No dude the intercooler is very much present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Here is a little bit of exercise to check the handling of your car.

On the Bangalore to Chennai GQ Road as you approach Vaniyambadi there is a flyover which turns left hand almost at 90 Degree. Try taking the turn at speeds above 120KMPH in your Verna. And do let us know the experience!

A swift diesel could take it at 130KMPH!

You would see & feel what ReignofChaos is talking about if you take the turn at 120+KMPH!

Or if you want to keep saying that Verna handles more than expectations then you are under a perception cloud. The verna body roll is just too sickening & the brakes are just too bad in the non-ABS versions.

And yeah by the time the turbo kicks in, the petrol heads would be a mile away !
I have personally driven my Verna CRDi for around 60000 KMs now and during the initial days i lacked the confidence to push the car , but i have touched 200 kmph ( speedo) on the Blr - chen GQ and no that was not on the Vaniyambadi flyover . No sane person would want to do that when you drive your drive based on road conditions no 120 kmph and a 90 deg left hand turn. Thats insanity even to suggest .

I used to go regularly on night drives with the Elantra boys to Maddur and my car has been able to keep up evry well with them , and if you knwo how mysore road is then that would answer your query . I am not trying to establish that a verna is a Star handler but it definitley aint the worst and it all boils down to skill i belive . I own a swift LDI and have also extensively driven around on a Fiesta Sxi atleast 1500 kms ( is that the trim level name ) . I have also test drive the Fiat for about 30 kms, thats all .

And i would not part with my Verna anyday for the fiesta or the swift for that matter even the fiat , instead i have JVC KD-AVX 33 HU which does all that the Fiat does with the blue tooth and more .Peteing the verna has only added to the fun and i still get the FE figures which compares to the Swift LDI at home .

Last edited by hellstar : 30th March 2009 at 15:15.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:14   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Hey bro,
I have had an accident in our fiesta doing 50! I do agree that accidents happen. However, what I meant to say is that there is a perception felt of Verna accidents being greater in number than those of other vehicles. This does have to do with the power of the vehicle as many of them occurred due to over speeding and lack of ABS/Airbags and good brakes.
I haven't sat in an ABS variant of the Verna so I can't comment on that. However, I will say that ABS should have been made mandatory in the Verna and Getz. Hyundai is one confused company. They provide 6 airbags in a 1.2L, 80bhp i20, whereas none in the 110BHP Getz and Verna CRDi.
lamborghini - Your rational views does not seem to make any difference here. Have a look at hilarious last 3 pages, its all one-way traffic.

Hyundai is not one confused company. Its their "marvellous strategy" not to give Airbags in Verna but to give it in i20.

- because of the ridiculous excise and duty structure in India for big cars. Other mfrs are not smart enough to know it.

- Hyundai believes Verna-drivers to be more mature & knows exactly when to race & when to slow down while other car-drivers may not know it.

- While it gives powerful engine in Verna with higher bhp, it does not give Airbags as a strategy to keep the drivers under check not to overspeed & to give rear passengers comfortable ride, you know, just in case, any of them has a fraction of a question of sailboat (or shall we say speedboat?). Thus in 1 stroke it achieves 2 objectives, thats why its not confused but a strategic company which is destined to be in Top 3 of the world.

- So, in a nutshell, Hyundai Verna gives powerful engine with higher BHP, does not give airbags thus giving Fun drive of Power, Speed, comfort of handling (not a sailboat), maneuvering, futuristic technology features like automatic climate control etc. What a Car it is & what a compant it is!!

Verna Rocks!!
Old 30th March 2009, 15:23   #183
Senior - BHPian

guys - chill, shall we?

The fact is - People get the hang out of the cars they drive and get used to its negative points.

Just to cite an example, when i started driving my new ANHC, i was feeling - hell - no way i will carve a corner on this car like i did in my Palio. It just didn't inspire confidence in me - felt too light. A week and 300 kms later, i am in love with this car, the smooth acceleration and i am confident of taking much more speed than i ever did in my Palio. Is the Palio bad? No - i just got used to the ANHC and i know how it handles now.

I know a lot of people makes claims here like - i overtook car X,Y without a sweat on highways. Think about it again folks - the reasons could be
  1. The car performance is poor
  2. Its a sedate driver
  3. The driver is spirited but doesn't want to go over a specific speed (lets say 130)
  4. You are a better driver
So lets not get into my dad and punch your dad thing. We don't need to prove anyone anything.

On a lighter note: i beat the hell out of a Porsche in my city run last Thu morning. Poor guy was struggling with the potholes and speed breakers and bikers and couldn't manage to get an open stretch

Chill!

ps: i found the Verna handling to be pretty decent during my TD. It was the automatic version

Last edited by SkyWalker : 30th March 2009 at 15:29.
Old 30th March 2009, 15:45   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
guys - chill, shall we?

The fact is - People get the hang out of the cars they drive and get used to its negative points.

Just to cite an example, when i started driving my new ANHC, i was feeling - hell - no way i will carve a corner on this car like i did in my Palio. It just didn't inspire confidence in me - felt too light. A week and 300 kms later, i am in love with this car, the smooth acceleration and i am confident of taking much more speed than i ever did in my Palio. Is the Palio bad? No - i just got used to the ANHC and i know how it handles now.

I know a lot of people makes claims here like - i overtook car X,Y without a sweat on highways. Think about it again folks - the reasons could be
  1. The car performance is poor
  2. Its a sedate driver
  3. The driver is spirited but doesn't want to go over a specific speed (lets say 130)
  4. You are a better driver
So lets not get into my dad and punch your dad thing. We don't need to prove anyone anything.

On a lighter note: i beat the hell out of a Porsche in my city run last Thu morning. Poor guy was struggling with the potholes and speed breakers and bikers and couldn't manage to get an open stretch

Chill!

ps: i found the Verna handling to be pretty decent during my TD. It was the automatic version
swift handles better...overtook Porsche wow
Old 30th March 2009, 16:05   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I just try to tell.
The verna power is wasted in City driving.
you can really enjoy the beast only after 2000 rpm.
Till it's get bored to drive in city Bumper to bumper traffic.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:06   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
I just tried to tell.
Old 30th March 2009, 16:15   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I just tried to tell.
How can you call it "boring"? That way driving any car in the city is "boring" as per your calculations. And I must emphasize on the fact, that when you manage to get a little clear of the "boring" traffic, thats when the verna makes things fun by letting you rocket away from the boredom that is the traffic.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:13   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
How can you call it "boring"? That way driving any car in the city is "boring" as per your calculations. And I must emphasize on the fact, that when you manage to get a little clear of the "boring" traffic, thats when the verna makes things fun by letting you rocket away from the boredom that is the traffic.
you never ever see such space to run the verna in Chennai city especially during morning/evening peak hours.
After driving in a city definitly you can feel very fatigue/pain in legs due to the higher usage of clutch/gear to move verna in traffic chaos.
I felt it numerous time whenever i took verna to my office.
I accepted,it's very good in highway.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:21   #189
BHPian

Depends on what you want :

For the city,Linea is the better one and for the highways,it has to be the Verna...Pretty simple
Old 30th March 2009, 17:21   #190
BHPian

Quote:
you never ever see such space to run the verna in Chennai city especially during morning/evening peak hours.
After driving in a city definitly you can feel very fatigue/pain in legs due to the higher usage of clutch/gear to move verna in traffic chaos.
I guess it also depends on the route you take. But funny that you say you find it stressing driving the verna. I feel nothing after driving everyday. In fact I find it quite relaxing. The only difficulty is getting used to the turbo pushing the car forward in traffic, but you get used to that with time.
Old 30th March 2009, 17:40   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Karthik - Don't bother. Rational people have tried to reason out.

Verna is God's gift to the mankind.

When Verna-drivers move ahead of others, they're just zooming & others can't match. When others move ahead them, the others are rash & careless drivers.

When rear passengers go all over the place, the driver is driving it just too fast which is needless.

If the verna-driver is zooming ahead than other cars & rear passengers are all over the place, the Indian Roads are too bad.

If the driver asks about the Airbags in Verna, He is an immature & reckless driver. Blame him & also blame the govt. for ridiculous excise and duty structure in India for big cars (other C segment cars giving Airbags are wither giving it for free or they are overall cheap cars so as to absorb airbags cost)

If one says Verna looks ugly, as a strategy beautiful looks & shapes are not given to save it from bad & evil eyes
Old 30th March 2009, 18:16   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

When Verna-drivers move ahead of others, they're just zooming & others can't match. When others move ahead them, the others are rash & careless drivers.

When rear passengers go all over the place, the driver is driving it just too fast which is needless.

If the verna-driver is zooming ahead than other cars & rear passengers are all over the place, the Indian Roads are too bad.

If the driver asks about the Airbags in Verna, He is an immature & reckless driver. Blame him & also blame the govt. for ridiculous excise and duty structure in India for big cars (other C segment cars giving Airbags are wither giving it for free or they are overall cheap cars so as to absorb airbags cost)

If one says Verna looks ugly, as a strategy beautiful looks & shapes are not given to save it from bad & evil eyes
1 more addition

If Verna feels boring to drive, as a strategy its designed that way as they do not want drviers to get excited as a safety feature more so because there are no airbags
Old 30th March 2009, 18:18   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post

Hahaha... Good point. Many H-addicted people are thinking like it.
Old 30th March 2009, 20:35   #194
Senior - BHPian

@VahanPujari: Nicely put up.
Old 30th March 2009, 21:06   #195
BHPian

I think many of us here are getting too personal before going for ANHC i had TDed Verna and frankly, i didn't see any performance related issues with Verna, it is a great product with powerful engine and quite decent handling. surely, it is not as bad as it pointed out here.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed