Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2009, 22:24   #46
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
the Linea might be the best all rounder
why is the linea the best all rounder?
The Fiesta is by far the best all rounder.

Old 25th February 2009, 22:33   #47
BHPian

As someone earlier asked why not look at the Chevy Optra Magnum. Good engine and Good looks. The base model comes with most essential features and should cost under 10L on road. The 3 year warranty should give you peace of mind for sometime.

Yes, Verna is the most powerful. But are you going to be doing jack-rabbit starts at the traffic lights all day. Its certainly not comfortable. And looks like a obese rat.

Fiesta's anaemic engine really does its duty well. The gears are just perfectly matched to get the best out of the 1.4L. But if your 5'9" or taller you might want to put your legs in the trunk before you try getting into the back seat. Rear legroom is a joke.

Linea. Looks brilliant. So good infact you just want one. Until you get in the drivers seat and realise that you should probably get a tow truck to help you gather some speed. What was Fiat thinking?? Just plain stupid. But I guess there is enough power to potter around in the city.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 25th February 2009, 22:38   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The Fiesta is by far the best all rounder.
Yes it is, if your a midget and like to be chauffeur driven.

But seriously, how often is a sane family man going to turn into a corner at 80kmph inside the city in a diesel?? Fiestas are great handlers but then I don't see its relevance in an everyday scenario. Its a different story if your an enthusiast, but if you are, you should be looking at its petrol version.
Old 25th February 2009, 23:12   #49
BHPian

Verna, Linea & Fiesta Test Driven

I have been in the market to buy a sedan since last 9 months. Had decided on a diesel looking at the rising fuel prices even though my monthly commute was only 1000km.
Compared verna & Fiesta and almost decided on Fiesta.
Then heard about Linea and kept on waiting for it .... the ford salesman was expecting to close the sale and I kept on postponing. He might have quit his job because of frustration

I test drove each car 2 times from 2 different dealers.

Fiesta:
+ superb driving position
+ Good Handling & suspension
+ NVH was good
- Not great but Decent pickup
- Rear seat shoulder-space was cramped (almost same as my zen!)

Verna:
+ Awesome pickup
- Uncomfortable driving position (too low)
- Unsteady Handling & suspension (maybe due to those small tyres)
Also the sudden turbo burst was kind of unsettling.
- NVH wasn't good. There was a constant vibrating sound from front right of the car (both TD cars. ~30k on ODO)

Linea:
+ Excellent Handling & suspension
+ NVH was good too
+ Excellent rear seat shoulder-space (Fiesta < city < Linea < civic)
+ All new gadgets and aggressive pricing
- Driving position not comfortable (the front of the car felt too far away)

Overall I was comfortable with both Fiesta & Linea. Personally I am leaning towards the Linea as it offered all the goodies and the exclusivity factor.

Well, my status now is ... I have decided to go for petrol (as fuel prices reduced and due to recession don't want to spend 1L extra). So now its a tossup between the petrol cars for me: Fiesta, ANHC and Linea

Last edited by neotraveller : 25th February 2009 at 23:27. Reason: more descrption in verna
Old 25th February 2009, 23:23   #50
BANNED

The Verna's engine in the Fiesta? That would be something, wouldn't it?
Old 26th February 2009, 04:09   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post

I test drove each car 2 times from 2 different dealers.

Fiesta:
+ superb driving position
+ Good Handling & suspension
+ NVH was good

Verna:
+ Awesome pickup
- Uncomfortable driving position (too low)
- Unsteady Handling & suspension (maybe due to those small tyres)
Also the sudden turbo burst was kind of unsettling.
- NVH wasn't good. There was a constant vibrating sound from front right of the car (both TD cars. ~30k on ODO)

Linea:
+ Excellent Handling & suspension
+ NVH was good too
+ Excellent rear seat shoulder-space (Fiesta < city < Linea < civic)
+ All new gadgets and aggressive pricing
- Driving position not comfortable (the front of the car felt too far away)
That's exactly what I have said in my previous post.

For a petrol car I wouldnt look further than the 1.6S fiesta.
Old 26th February 2009, 06:15   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

4. Power 5 7 9

--------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTAL - 62.5 70.5 75.5

Mods unable to post in a tabulated form! Should I attach an excel sheet?
Wow 5 for 86 PS engine and 7 for 68PS
Old 26th February 2009, 09:18   #53
BHPian

Well, we went on a trip to Corbett recently.. 5 of us in my friend's verna.. the car just cruises on the highway, great pick up and drivability.. overtaking is effortless...

The rear room was sufficient and there was nothing like lack of comfort...
The basic reason why most of the peole buy diesel cars (in my opinion) is because they travel too much and long distances... that is the area where the Verna scores I feel...Actually have no idea about the network / cost of spares but going by what Sameel (he owns a Verna) says I have a +ve impression of that..

With regards to the Linea I am definitely skeptical about the network.. still remember we had to wait two months to get the wiper blade for my dad's UNOwhen we were in Indore (MP)...

Linea in reality it looks bigger and wider then Fiesta and Verna but what is on offer? a 1.3 L engine that's definitely sluggish, bad perception of parts and service, unimaginable resale value, the quality of interiors/ equipments dont cope up with the BIG car stance/ imagery that the exterior projects..

Fiesta will not be my choice because of really poor power output.. guyz my Swift DDiS churns out 75 BHP and when I graduate to a bigger car I dont want to come down to Fiesta with 68 BHP of power...
Old 26th February 2009, 09:55   #54

Fiesta is car for city dwellers who are always close to comfort the people who drive in close proximity of safety.

The car on the highway is a hand full even when you are over-taking you have to go thought a lot of lower gear shifts to punch the car. The car bottoms out even on small pot holes which is very unnerving at high speeds. The vibration in the car were also high, the car I was driving had already clocked about 15000~km on the ODO. The owner till now had not faced any service issues but I wonder for how long?
Old 26th February 2009, 11:50   #55
Senior - BHPian

The Verna has space, quality, power, great after sales network and peace of mind that comes from a well built product. The only real negative for it is the soft suspension in the rear, something that you can either live with or correct at a reasonable cost.

The Fiesta has much better interiors (the best of the lot) and great chuckability. However it doesnt have the kind of power that makes the handling and agility useful, so it kind of shoots itself in the foot. Otherwise a very well built and goodlooking car, it loses out on space and a bit of power. I say bit of because the Fiestas can move a lot faster than their 68bhp rating suggests, plus the engines are really smooth. Its weakness can be undone to a certain extent by a Pete's box.

The Linea I only have a test ride of. It wins on looks and some space, but it loses out on power, mixed-bag interiors and usable space - people call it roomy because it is the biggest and offers the best leg space in the rear, but sitting in the back can be a real pain with the C Pillar intruding majorly into the head space. The car is heavy and I'm not sure if a Pete's box is going to help it a lot, so that weakness will remain, and I found it a bit choppy compared to other cars (but better than Verna).

Therefore:

1. Verna - Best choice for a regular motorist - great engine, great after-sales-service, Toyota-like reliability record and good quality even if uninspiring interiors.

2. Fiesta - Excellent choice for a regular motorist, except for the lack of rear space.

3. Linea - Too many compromises but its one great looking car. If you are only interested in point-to-point transportation but want a good-looking car, this might do the trick provided A/S/S, quality and reliability are up there with the two others. On the brighter side, it is probably the cheapest of the lot so it is not a compromise at a price.

Last edited by Steeroid : 26th February 2009 at 11:54.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:58   #56
BHPian

I don't understand some of the criticism of the Linea here, all agree on the engine deficiency but apart from that this is a seriously well equipped car with very decent interiors/exteriors and build quality, how does one compare a car with all these features and safety standards to a Fiesta and Verna which are missing most of these.

This is a forum where even missing fog lamps is a big issue and yet here things like airbags, abs, alloys, well sized tyres, climate control and much more at very reasonable prices are irrelevant? With Linea offering all these and not taking folks for granted customers should reject other cars untill the manufacturer gets the message. That's the only way things will change.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:14   #57
agm
BHPian

My first choice would be Verna followed by linea.
Will never ever consider Fiesta.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:56   #58
BHPian

i think linea is a better package over all. right from italian styling, the heavy gause sheet metal, safety and lifestyle accessories. 90 BHP engine is comfortable for city as well as highway (safe driving). at a price so low its a serious compitition.
Old 26th February 2009, 12:57   #59
BHPian

If it comes to Personal Choice.. Than

1. Verna CRDI Auto
2. Linea
2. Fiesta
Old 26th February 2009, 13:00   #60

[quote=raul;1189695]I don't understand some of the criticism of the Linea here, all agree on the engine deficiency but apart from that this is a seriously well equipped car with very decent interiors/exteriors and build quality, how does one compare a car with all these features and safety standards to a Fiesta and Verna which are missing most of these.

Engine deficiency..?

I believe the engine is the heart of the car..
So... what do we have? An elephant with a rats heart?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed