Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 13:02   #61
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
The Fiesta diesel is rather under rated.
It may have only 68bhp on paper, but it makes useful torque early in the rev range, and ford have got the gearing ratios spot on.
I was dismissive of the car till I TDed it.
Till around 80kmph from standstill, if driven well, it will keep up with much more powerful cars. Nice overall package.
On a winding road, the verna will find itself in sweating a little trying to get away from the fiesta.
Main thing is- the fiesta is very entertaining to drive.

Verna will always be my favourite Acceleration that is unmatched, with power all the way from 1800rpm to the redline. Its performance in a straight line compensates for everything else.
A very honest opinion from someone who owns a Verna CRDi.
Thanks Ripper.

Personally, i would prefer the Fiesta TDCi over both the Linea and the Verna. I kinda detest the Verna's looks, but it does look a tad bit better following the facelift.

Linea felt good for what it offerred, but the engine let me down during my test drive experience, not to forget the turning radius. With the other essential parameters in place, it is worth looking at.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:22   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajtheindian View Post
Wow 5 for 86 PS engine and 7 for 68PS
Power does not just means numbers. It is overall combination of pick-up, driveability in different gears and as per my personal TD of two cars, I could find Fiesta's engine more responsive than Linea.
On paper, it has output of 86 PS, but don't know where it is hiding?
Old 26th February 2009, 13:26   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
+ Excellent rear seat shoulder-space (Fiesta < city < Linea < civic)
For a six footer it should be:
Linea< Fiesta< Verna < ANHC< NHC

& why you are bringing civic here?
Old 26th February 2009, 13:36   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post

& why you are bringing civic here?
Because I consider Civic to be the benchmark in rear seat shoulder space.
The point is, Linea has the best shoulder space in the segment. Only lesser than Civic which is obviously in the next segment.

I agree if you are 6', then you cannot sit near the windows.
All my family is 5'8" and below so rear headroom wasn't a problem.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:43   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Less than 6-foot too. I'm 5' 10" and I felt the sides of my head rubbing against the C Pillar all the time. Legroom and seating posture of the Linea however is much better than the other two, but would you rather bend a knee that is meant to bend or would you keep your neck tilted all the time?

When the passengers on a Linea get out after a drive, you will be able to tell who the rear passengers were and who exactly was sitting on the left and who was sitting on the right.
Old 26th February 2009, 13:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

There has been so much talk about how poor Linea fares in the performance.

So here you go with numbers. Pick your choose among these, but don't sweat if a "mighty" Verna starts running out of breath along side of a "slow" Linea :-) Of course, it will eventually surge ahead once it crosses 120-130.

BTW, for all this talk of power to weight ratios, mighty Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi weighs around 1330 kgs and churns around the same power i.e. 90 bhp. Call that a slouch here and it will surely answer you back on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiesta Vs Linea Vs Verna - which is the best diesel?-comparo.jpg  

Old 26th February 2009, 14:06   #67
rippergeo

@RX135
for arthritic old people, in gear acceleration is useful.
if acceleration is needed, people without wrist/elbow/shoulder pain normally downshift gears.

The Linea is slow,slow,slow.

EDIT
I'm not sure about the above data.
1.the verna stalls/shudders at 30kmph in 3rd gear. how did they test 20-80kmph in 3rd then?
2.Linea takes in excess of 16 secs to 100. will hunt for the source.

Was this a Fiat linea impression from one of the car mags?
And honestly- do you think the Linea is anywhere as fast as the Verna.

Last edited by rippergeo : 26th February 2009 at 14:25.

Old 26th February 2009, 14:25   #68
BHPian

[quote=Nuts4wheels;1189838]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I don't understand some of the criticism of the Linea here, all agree on the engine deficiency but apart from that this is a seriously well equipped car with very decent interiors/exteriors and build quality, how does one compare a car with all these features and safety standards to a Fiesta and Verna which are missing most of these.

Engine deficiency..?

I believe the engine is the heart of the car..
So... what do we have? An elephant with a rats heart?
Well at least it has a 90 bhp engine, we can't say the same for Fiesta and Verna when it comes to critical things like airbags and all the other features they don't even have an inadequate version of, but are missing.

In this segment Linea is the best all round package, you want to choose Fiesta or Verna for engine power and yet cannot place the emphasis on safety which should be a corollary with more power and speed. That is not very sensible.

Last edited by raul : 26th February 2009 at 14:27.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:26   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
There has been so much talk about how poor Linea fares in the performance.

So here you go with numbers. Pick your choose among these, but don't sweat if a "mighty" Verna starts running out of breath along side of a "slow" Linea :-) Of course, it will eventually surge ahead once it crosses 120-130.

BTW, for all this talk of power to weight ratios, mighty Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi weighs around 1330 kgs and churns around the same power i.e. 90 bhp. Call that a slouch here and it will surely answer you back on the road.
looking at the figures the linea seems to be pretty fast. what is the source of this information. i have driven both the linea and the verna. verna seems to be faster in each and every gear.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

I know its not an apples to apples comparison - but with an auto tranny now Verna has a huge advantage. Its the only Auto available in the group and it will give the comfort of an auto in city, good performance on highway and a decent diesel mileage.

Its costly though.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:38   #71
BHPian

20-80 in 3rd gear??

are guys that foolish to lug the engine in 3rd gear at 20kmph!!

my dad is 60 yrs old yet he goes to seventy in second gear itself

100 in 3rd gear. 4th and fifth is used by him only when cruising at 100+kmph!

now you guys know from where i got the speed madness from

one thing over here which gives us guys a trouble free ownership experience is hyundai A-S-S its too good.

everytime i go there i feel good. dont intend to leave hyundai camp at all!!
Old 26th February 2009, 14:40   #72

Guyz I was just checking the new Verna facelift and came to know that the ABS is now standard accross the petrol and diesel top ends..
I think they have gotten rid of the issue by not offering ABS as optional this time with the facelift...

@RX135 the braking distances for Verna up there are from the old one (w/0 ABS)... right..?
Old 26th February 2009, 14:42   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
@RX135
for arthritic old people, in gear acceleration is useful.
if acceleration is needed, people without wrist/elbow/shoulder pain normally downshift gears.

The Linea is slow,slow,slow.
Relax!

My whole life doesn't hinge on Linea performance figures, so it doesn't matter to me if it's slow or fast :-) If you want to call it "super-slow" or "slow cube", I absolutely have no issues.

I posted it for those, who care more about FE/driveability and/or use in-gear acceleration more often than downshifting. There are several here on this auto enthusiast's forum, so surely many more in the outside world (see the "engine lugging" thread if you don't trust my word).

Finally, it boils down to the individual preference.

EDIT: I have taken the figures from ACI. If they are wrong, go and shoot their test driver and editor. In fact, detailed review of Linea in Nov 2008 talks about the in-gear acceleration figures.

Last edited by RX135 : 26th February 2009 at 14:45.
Old 26th February 2009, 14:44   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
I know its not an apples to apples comparison - but with an auto tranny now Verna has a huge advantage. Its the only Auto available in the group and it will give the comfort of an auto in city, good performance on highway and a decent diesel mileage.

Its costly though.
Bang on buddy... I also feel that the AT I drove was a cakewalk in the traffic... probably the issues of the city drive that were bogginig the Verna are now more or the less taken care of..

Old 26th February 2009, 14:45   #75
rippergeo

[quote=raul;1190005]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuts4wheels View Post

Well at least it has a 90 bhp engine, we can't say the same for Fiesta and Verna when it comes to critical things like airbags and all the other features they don't even have an inadequate version of, but are missing.

In this segment Linea is the best all round package, you want to choose Fiesta or Verna for engine power and yet cannot place the emphasis on safety which should be a corollary with more power and speed. That is not very sensible.
You make a good point. Safety wise- Linea comes out on top.
The Verna is way costlier even at spartan levels of equipment.
None of these cars are perfect.
Maybe we should start looking at the Dzire ZDi.
Is that car an allrounder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Relax!

My whole life doesn't hinge on Linea performance figures, so it doesn't matter to me if it's slow or fast :-) If you want to call it "super-slow" or "slow cube", I absolutely have no issues.
Call it average if you want, thats fine. But dont say it is fast. by any stretch of imagination, it isnt. I dont have a problem with the car, I have a problem with its fans making it out to be something it isnt.
I wont call it slow if you dont call it fast. Deal?

Last edited by rippergeo : 26th February 2009 at 14:56.

Closed Thread

Most Viewed