Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 14:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

a debate that will never end. All these cars have their positives and negatives, and the people who's wishes are matched by the positives would vouch for the respective car! What are we trying to decide then?
Old 26th February 2009, 15:00   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Well at least it has a 90 bhp engine, we can't say the same for Fiesta and Verna when it comes to critical things like airbags and all the other features they don't even have an inadequate version of, but are missing.

In this segment Linea is the best all round package, you want to choose Fiesta or Verna for engine power and yet cannot place the emphasis on safety which should be a corollary with more power and speed. That is not very sensible.
Looks like you havent truly checked out the list of available features before commenting. A simple navigation through the Ford India website for the Fiesta and one comes to know that airbags are indeed available on the Fiesta TDCi in the SXi variant.

As for the Verna, i didnt bother to check.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:03   #78
BHPian

Incidentally I was in the market for a car and test drove both Linea and ANHC, both Fiesta and Verna feel a generation older and missing critical factors for today's buyer and that's why I didn't consider them and buying a car now I would hope all folks demand the basic safety features that should be standard but Indian auto makers have been profiteering on.

That's the only way to enforce some sort of accountability. And that's why I feel positive about Fiat offering these specs at attractive prices. Moving on I do hope we have new standards and these features that are offered abroad routinely are likewise offered here too.

I preferred ANHC to the Linea mainly because of the power + safety package, but was not keen to pay 9 lakhs for under equipped and low quality interiors. Others do not share my reservations and Honda is now laughing its way to the bank. In the same way I found Linea underpowered, and wasn't particularly motivated, I am sure others will feel differently. But I personally won't settle for Fiesta or Verna and I hope others do not either. The least they can do is offer airbags as an option.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29
Linea felt good for what it offerred, but the engine let me down during my test drive experience,
Hey Ben, did you post your Linea TD on the TD thread ? Don't remember seeing your experience. So wondering if I missed it.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:16   #80
BHPian

With due respect to all 3, I would still go for the Magnum. I had a contact in GM, got directly billed from the factory - and got the Magnum Diesel LS 8.54 OTR. For this price no other car comes close.

Don't know whether I would have plonked 10 big ones on the Magnum though.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:26   #81
BHPian

Though i have got civic now..i am still proud to say that i was using Verna for last 1 year and the power & driving pleasure i get from verna crdi Sx was indeed great.
mileage is also not so bad..i used to get 13-13.5 in city and 16-18 on highway.but those all will not matter when you get such a powerful hawk..i had touched 190kmph on bglr - chennai toll road which i havent experienced in anyother car till date.

Cons - no airbags

MY VOTE IS FOR VERNA....No Second thought
Old 26th February 2009, 15:29   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
Call it average if you want, thats fine. But dont say it is fast. by any stretch of imagination, it isnt. I dont have a problem with the car, I have a problem with its fans making it out to be something it isnt.
I wont call it slow if you dont call it fast. Deal?
No. I am not into this debate of slow and fast. I never called it fast just as I never called it slow. I have only given the numbers. It surely can't be fast (because if this is fast, what would I call one with 1.9 MJD, a rocket? ), but can't call it as a slouch either for practical purpose.

To put things in perspective, people enjoy driving Fiesta TDCi (68 bhp) and Accent CRDi (81 bhp). Once you cross 120, they start panting, but who drives consistently faster than those speeds on Indian roads? Even on Mumbai-Pune express highway, I see most of the traffic doing sedate 100-120.

BTW, Fiat cars "feel" slow inside the cabin than their actual speeds. Similarly, some other cars "feel" going faster than their actual speeds. (Experienced folks will know which one I am referring to). Has anyone else here experienced that, or is that just a figment of my imagination?
Old 26th February 2009, 15:39   #83
BHPian

Accent CRDI panting after 120kmph

nice joke lol i have myself taken it to 160kmph! and it was not panting after 120kmph..it was more liki hell yeah!! lets rock had more to go but no road. did it inside city limits hehe.
Old 26th February 2009, 15:51   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post
Actually it was fuming at the owner 'Gimme more!', which may have been mistaken for 'panting'.

Still, something to smile!
Old 26th February 2009, 16:03   #85
BHPian

BTW, Fiat cars "feel" slow inside the cabin than their actual speeds. Similarly, some other cars "feel" going faster than their actual speeds. (Experienced folks will know which one I am referring to). Has anyone else here experienced that, or is that just a figment of my imagination?[/quote]

Might be true for mighty Palio 1.6 but Linea will surely feel slow from every corner from the cabin also...

Its huge and the engine doesnt support the biggie...
Old 26th February 2009, 16:43   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

As you know,i booked Minimum Grey Linea MJD Emotion Pack .
still i love Verna Crdi.i had driven my brother's verna Crdi for more than 2000 kms within 4 days.
it has alot of power in it.But driving at good speed >100kmph will definitely scare you.
and the car is for enthusiast for speed run.Attitude like no one can beat me.
for daily run in city condition,i think verna is not a car.Turbo lag is very evident till 2000rpm.it's very boring to drive the car in city traffic.A lot of gear changes needed.Moreover we waste the car's reserve power too.
In Highway no one beat verna.
still i prefer Linea because i need a car for daily commutation between my home and office and some highway trips.
i know,it's not powerful but it serves its best what the car meant for
I don't need a powerful car rather i need a comfortable car to drive.
I am very much satisfied with the enough power(shows my age ) of my taste and driving capabilities of linea.
If you need a FAMILY car,go and buy Linea
If you need a Powerful car,go and book Verna Crdi

Last edited by aks_karthik : 26th February 2009 at 16:50.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameel View Post

nice joke lol i have myself taken it to 160kmph! and it was not panting after 120kmph..it was more liki hell yeah!! lets rock had more to go but no road. did it inside city limits hehe.
If you flog a Santro or an Alto 1.1, even that will go up to 160 kmph.

If you think, Accent CRDi goes like rocket after 120, so be it. Just get it alongside a faster car (substitute any of Fiesta/Vtec/Petra/Baleno for "faster" here), you'll know how fast your rocket goes

Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion and this is really getting off topic now.

Last edited by RX135 : 26th February 2009 at 17:09.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:20   #88
Senior - BHPian

I really would like headers to see these 2 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
people enjoy driving Accent CRDi (81 bhp). Once you cross 120, they start panting,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
If you think, Accent CRDi goes like rocket after 120, so be it. Just get it alongside a faster car (substitute any of Fiesta/Vtec/Petra/Baleno for "faster" here), you'll know how fast your rocket goes
P.S. : I am in no way agreeing or disagreeing with RX135's views on the Accent-D.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:39   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
for daily run in city condition,i think verna is not a car.Turbo lag is very evident till 2000rpm.it's very boring to drive the car in city traffic.A lot of gear changes needed.Moreover we waste the car's reserve power too.
What are you on about? One can easily modulate the clutch and ride the torque curve in the city with a Verna.
Old 26th February 2009, 17:58   #90
Senior - BHPian

@aks_K: congrats on your new purchase.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks