Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 20:18   #91
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Incidentally I was in the market for a car and test drove both Linea and ANHC, both Fiesta and Verna feel a generation older and missing critical factors for today's buyer and that's why I didn't consider them and buying a car now I would hope all folks demand the basic safety features that should be standard but Indian auto makers have been profiteering on.

That's the only way to enforce some sort of accountability. And that's why I feel positive about Fiat offering these specs at attractive prices. Moving on I do hope we have new standards and these features that are offered abroad routinely are likewise offered here too.

I preferred ANHC to the Linea mainly because of the power + safety package, but was not keen to pay 9 lakhs for under equipped and low quality interiors. Others do not share my reservations and Honda is now laughing its way to the bank. In the same way I found Linea underpowered, and wasn't particularly motivated, I am sure others will feel differently. But I personally won't settle for Fiesta or Verna and I hope others do not either. The least they can do is offer airbags as an option.
The part which i have highlighted in bold is purely your wish, but probably because ignorance is bliss. At the cost of sounding repetitive, here is what i had posted with reference to your same rant earlier :

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Looks like you havent truly checked out the list of available features before commenting. A simple navigation through the Ford India website for the Fiesta and one comes to know that airbags are indeed available on the Fiesta TDCi in the SXi variant.

As for the Verna, i didnt bother to check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Hey Ben, did you post your Linea TD on the TD thread ? Don't remember seeing your experience. So wondering if I missed it.
Biju, my brief TD experience can be read here :

TD_of_the_Linea
Old 26th February 2009, 21:00   #92
BHPian

My vote among the three goes for Verna.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:36   #93
BHPian

Nothing beats the feeling that the verna gives you when you zoom away from random guys on the road who keep honking for no reason, or when you outrun and smoke guys who act smart by trying to overtake. Every single bhp churned out from that engine translates into pure attitude on the road.
To be honest, the verna, though not as refined at lower speeds as the fiesta, is stil very much driveable at lower speeds. It just takes some getting used to. And about the higher speeds, I hit 170 on the chennai-blore highway and I was very very comfortable. The throttle gets you up there in no time, and the ABS brings you back down to lower speeds equally efficiently. How does it matter if the steering weighs a tonne, or if it weighs just a gram? At high speeds, if you dont know how to handle your car anyone can lose control. For all those who keep saying that the fiesta handles better at higher speeds - yes i agree the fiesta body is better built - but the final word is that if you can handle your car, then the verna it is anyday of the week, and twice on sundays!
Old 26th February 2009, 21:49   #94
Senior - BHPian

Engine/Performance - Verna
Handling/FE - Fiesta
Build quality - Verna
Looks/Safety - Linea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It surely can't be fast (because if this is fast, what would I call one with 1.9 MJD, a rocket? )
Like that then even Hyundai will also bring in the R series engine and the 1.9MJD will be smoked left right and center.

Last edited by kpzen : 26th February 2009 at 21:56.
Old 26th February 2009, 21:59   #95
BHPian

Linea I dare to say that once the novelty factor dries down thats it. the fate will be same as all other Fiat cars. Because Fiat is yet iron out the long in the tooth problems. in short their painful A*S*S. It sucks.

And howmany Lineas you have seen on the roads. I am yet to see one here. I have not seen even one Linea in Kerala malabar area except for the test cars

Go for the Verna if you want a diesel car in that segment. For sheer power no one can beat the Verna.

I once( some 6 months back) had a drive from Chennai to B'lore and back on the Verna. Since then I am a hardcore Verna fan.

I was in the market for a 5-6 lakhs diesel hatch. Just because the future of Getz is blurry I didnt had the guts to go for that rocket. And I dont have the money to go for the Verna
Alas booked Swift VDi
Old 26th February 2009, 22:13   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Like that then even Hyundai will also bring in the R series engine and the 1.9MJD will be smoked left right and center.
hmmm.. i hear the smallest R is a 2.0 liter VGT with 184 ps and 392 nm torque. But if it comes, i am sure some tbbpian's will Pete that too
Old 26th February 2009, 22:23   #97
BHPian

yes and like the skoda 500 bhp this 2 litre engine will be 600 bhp plus?
Old 26th February 2009, 22:50   #98
BHPian

Hi

i have test driven fiesta & linea too..

Fiesta - nothing much to say as everyone have already spoken about it

Linea - its MJD is even with indica, indica vesta, fiat stile, swift, swift dzire & the same is been used in Linea..the car looks cool..more gizmos... for a big car(bigger than verna & fiesta) 1.3L MJD doesnt make sense according to me..i may be wrong..

But...

can some one answer my question? how will be linea's pickup,performance & drivability when 5 people(avg of 60kg) are inside the car with its boot completely packed????

Last edited by deepanonline : 26th February 2009 at 22:52. Reason: spell
Old 27th February 2009, 00:45   #99
Ice
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pras.oct25 View Post
How does it matter if the steering weighs a tonne, or if it weighs just a gram?
Pras,

Let's hope and pray that you don't every have to find out why it matters.
Old 27th February 2009, 01:11   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The part which i have highlighted in bold is purely your wish, but probably because ignorance is bliss. At the cost of sounding repetitive, here is what i had posted with reference to your same rant earlier :
Of course it is my wish, I say as much in that sentence. What differentiates a comment from a rant and who are you to decide these things. As for your comment about ignorance I have yet to understand why folks get so worked up in discussions.

I wasn't aware any version of Fiesta had airbags and I am glad to be corrected but the world has has hardly fallen apart because I didn't know. This is discussion forum among friends, not a warzone. Let's leave bitterness and sarcasm for another place.

Last edited by raul : 27th February 2009 at 01:15.
Old 27th February 2009, 01:24   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I wasn't comparing Verna and Linea, but Linea 1.3MJD and 1.9 MJD. Just because you became kpgetz from kpzen, you don't have to take it so personally

And talking of smoking, if Hyundai brings in R-Series 2.0L at 181 BHP, Fiat already has 1.9L MJD putting out 190BHP doing duty on Lancia Delta and so on. But talk of having any in India in near future, pigs will fly
Old 27th February 2009, 04:08   #102
BANNED

I would recommend this way:
1. Verna
2. Fiesta
3. Linea

Disclaimer: I haven't driven a Linea with the 1.3 Mjd mill (that engine was designed for cars half it's size or so.. Mind it).
Verna is the best overall package in this trio.
A good meaty engine, good finish, good looking, spacious enough, good A.S.S, decently priced and a well looked after customer care.
Then comes Fiesta.
Reasonable engine, good finish, good looking, not so spacious, not very good A.S.S, costlier to maintain and decently priced.
Linea is the last and the least.
Poor engine (for a car of this size), good finish, nice looking, less usable interior space, worst A.S.S, costliest to maintain, decently priced and good for nothing customer care.

So if somebody is just in love with the brand FiAT or wants a curved up showcase piece in the garage, it's the Linea.
If somebody wants A better F brand, usable space, driveable engine, non present curves and can live with a bit bad service and costly maintenance, it is the Fiesta for him.
If somebody wants a car which does everything better but has a bad brand name and lesser curves, it is the Verna!
Hyundai is afterall much better than many so called 'reputed' brands of late. Ain't it?
Old 27th February 2009, 09:37   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
If somebody wants A better F brand, usable space, driveable engine, non present curves and can live with a bit bad service and costly maintenance, it is the Fiesta for him.
Zak, i know you don't like FIAT, but saying Fiesta has more usable space than Linea - whether its front or rear seats is just way over the top.

Among the cars you have specified, Linea is indeed the most spacious. I have driven and sat inside all cars and i can comfortably say Fiesta is the most congested here and feels a full size smaller than the other two.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wasn't comparing Verna and Linea, but Linea 1.3MJD and 1.9 MJD.
This thread is a comparison between Linea/Fiesta/Verna and not between the two MJDs.

Quote:
And talking of smoking, if Hyundai brings in R-Series 2.0L at 181 BHP, Fiat already has 1.9L MJD putting out 190BHP doing duty on Lancia Delta and so on. But talk of having any in India in near future, pigs will fly
Don't worry about the engine, worry about the brand F more.
Anyways those 8bhp won't make much difference as Hyundai will put that engine in a car and Fiat will put in some tank which would be 200kg heavier. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Zak, i know you don't like FIAT, but saying Fiesta has more usable space than Linea - whether its front or rear seats is just way over the top.

Just for your knowledge. Zak is a Hyundai hater as well.
Old 27th February 2009, 10:21   #105

Surprise! to me the whole linea package which is being boasted is not very impressive thou. The car is longer wider than the fiesta but has a lower ground clearance and is a full 100 kg heavier, leaves aside the poor engine power. I have a looker on the road but it’s not game when it comes to speed.
The turning radius is also huge compared to the ford the big wheels are also not going help when freaking! taking a u turn.

Last edited by Nuts4wheels : 27th February 2009 at 10:27.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks