Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2009, 10:42   #106
BHPian

Gosh! I have never understood why everyone talks so much about Verna's power. How many of you actually drive your car like a rocket- only concerned with the pickup?

Even at high speeds (>100) I want the car to be well planted and instill confidence. Verna never does that.

I just wonder what will happen if Ford actually launches the Fiesta Diesel with a 1.6 L Duratorq engine giving 100+BHP.
Now, that will make the so called powerful Verna actually R.I.P.
Old 27th February 2009, 12:57   #107
BANNED

Usable!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
but saying Fiesta has more usable space than Linea - whether its front or rear seats is just way over the top.
Over the top??
You can sit comfortably with your head straight in the rear seat of a Fiesta.
Make 3 decently sized males sit in the rear and Linea appears two segments down.
The front legspace, even though it appears more in the Linea, my leg was never comfortable there and my friend who was 6ft plus hated it. Fiesta hasn't caused this to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
Among the cars you have specified, Linea is indeed the most spacious.
But only good in paper. Practically it ain't that usable.
I consider Fiesta to be better in space management. To each his own....... Nay!
Old 27th February 2009, 13:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post

I just wonder what will happen if Ford actually launches the Fiesta Diesel with a 1.6 L Duratorq engine giving 100+BHP.
wishful thinking. Yes, If FIAT launched a 1.6MJD @ 150 bhp or Ford launched a 1.6L or Hundai launched an R. None of them are here, let move on with what we got.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:25   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Gosh! I have never understood why everyone talks so much about Verna's power. How many of you actually drive your car like a rocket- only concerned with the pickup?

Even at high speeds (>100) I want the car to be well planted and instill confidence. Verna never does that.

The feeling to zip past the stuggling (still in control) guyz is exhilaration and nothing else.. and the fact that the Verna does it so well is clear...
And the confidence at high speeds is subjective and differs from person to person.. someone might feel nervous at 60 KMPH in a Fiesta and other might exude confidence at 150 in a Verna...

And by the way Ford to have such plans is more then a news to me..
Old 27th February 2009, 15:20   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I wasn't aware any version of Fiesta had airbags and I am glad to be corrected but the world has has hardly fallen apart because I didn't know. This is discussion forum among friends, not a warzone. Let's leave bitterness and sarcasm for another place.
Leaving aside the sarcasm part of it, lets come to the facts.

You'd repeatedly mentioned in your posts that the competition offers no safety features and that in itself should turn the vote towards the Linea, while the others need to be shunned.

Even on the Linea the base version doesnt come with all the safety offerrings. That the same is also an option with the competition is something you should have verified before making blanket statements.

Hope that settles it.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:26   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
The feeling to zip past the stuggling (still in control) guyz is exhilaration and nothing else.. and the fact that the Verna does it so well is clear...
And the confidence at high speeds is subjective and differs from person to person.. someone might feel nervous at 60 KMPH in a Fiesta and other might exude confidence at 150 in a Verna...

And by the way Ford to have such plans is more then a news to me..

Got to agree with Accell on this one, every one has his own way of driving and every one knows their own limits when it comes to speed. I remember when I used to have a Scorpio and was used to taking it to 140+ on good highways and every time I would talk to the GM works at the M&M dealership he used to tell me how could I do that, According to him his palms used to get all sweaty if he would take the Scorpio to 80+.This is a perfect example for "knowing your own limits" thing.

I also feel that the Verna D is a rocket of an engine. I remember doing 180 on it once. Its not how fast you can go, it is more of how fast you can get to your own speed limit and how easy it is for you to stay there.

Last edited by ranc : 27th February 2009 at 15:27.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:32   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Like that then even Hyundai will also bring in the R series engine and the 1.9MJD will be smoked left right and center.
R series engine smoking left right and center.

Quote:

There is a word "IF" in your statement .... what if 1.6L CRDi ... plonked into Verna?
Now, that will make the so called powerful 1.6L Duratorq Fiesta actually R.I.P.

So, let talk about the things which is available in India. Chill man.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This thread is a comparison between Linea/Fiesta/Verna and not between the two MJDs.
Well! You didn't read my post, did you? Here is what I said for your benefit.

"I never called it fast just as I never called it slow. I have only given the numbers. It surely can't be fast (because if this is fast, what would I call one with 1.9 MJD, a rocket?)"

Where did Verna or Fiesta come into picture? I still don't understand what are you cribbing about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Don't worry about the engine, worry about the brand F more. Anyways those 8bhp won't make much difference as Hyundai will put that engine in a car and Fiat will put in some tank which would be 200kg heavier
What has brand anything to do with engine and output? It's the same F brand which came up first with CRDi and MultiJets, which is now licensed to many car manufacturers. It's the same brand which also owns Alpha Romeo and Ferrari. It commands much more respect that any Korean brand in Europe.

First you boast about BHP figures of R-series. I just replied back with another set of Fiat engines. Now you talk about how that's useless due to weight. Going by such argument, for a rocking boat like Verna, even if you fit 1000 BHP Veyron engine, it's pretty much useless other than straight line drags.

Anyway, the whole idea was to put down figures and let individuals decide. If you think Verna is great and Linea is crap, you are entitled to your opinion.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:41   #114
BANNED

This is directed at each one of us.

If manufacturers gave us even a rupee for each time we demonstrate brand loyalty on this forum, we would be so much richer.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:46   #115
Senior - BHPian

Nice one, hrag.
Yeah, something on the lines of Google Adsense and can be called 'SIAM Carsense', with auto-credit of the money to our accounts.

BTW, it is not just about cars. Unless we have had real bad issues with products we use, we are fiercely loyal to the brands we have experience with. For eg. look at the cellphone or SLR thread and you would see the same thing.
Old 27th February 2009, 15:56   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
This is directed at each one of us.

If manufacturers gave us even a rupee for each time we demonstrate brand loyalty on this forum, we would be so much richer.
Lols for that! But how will the bankruptcy filing ppl give us money..?
Vicious circle...huh..!
Old 27th February 2009, 16:26   #117
BHPian

Quote:

I would disagree with you about the stability ( or lack of it at high speed) in case of Verna. I have driven it at speedo reading of 200 kmph marker crossed at Mumbai -Pune expressway several times and never had any skittish experience. Of course I have been extra cautious , careful and alert for any indications of vehicle getting out of control. It was a SX model with ABS( all four disc brakes) which I found absolutely comfortable and confidence inspiring.

My elder bro has a Fiesta 1.4 ( diesel) and he is equally happy. He gets around 18kmpl while I rarely get over 15.7 kmpl but if you ask me - even if Verna had FE of 12kmpl , it would still have been a good fun to drive and own vehicle. Its not only on the highway that our family likes to be in Verna but also in the city as rear seats (maybe because of soft suspension)are more comfortable. After sales of course is much better for Verna than we experienced for Fiesta. Its here that we dread Linea and so its a big NO for us even to consider anything from the Tata showroom ( unless of course if its a Safari 2.2 VX 4*4 in Pearl White colour)
Old 27th February 2009, 19:02   #118
BANNED

Void!

Quote:
First of all, a car's power isn't just useful for rocket shot drives. Even a normal overtaking is very much effected on car's moving ability.
Verna sold in India now is 110 bhp (as claimed by Hyundai). So even if Ford brings in it's 100+ thingy, Verna will rule.
Verna is very far a better package than Fiesta in many aspects.
The only negative thingys in a Verna is the wavy handling and the Hyundai badge. :(
Old 27th February 2009, 19:24   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
The only negative thingys in a Verna is ... and the Hyundai badge. :(
You know Zak, a lot of people would consider that as a positive.
Old 27th February 2009, 23:40   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I consider Fiesta to be better in space management.!
Fiesta's seats are very flat & offer no support. Even the new TDCI Ikon's seats & rear bench are better!
Agreed for Linea about rear seat crampness but Fiesta loose out due to flatness of front seats & rear bench. Of all three cars, Verna's interior space is a notch above the other two.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks