Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2009, 00:13   #121
BHPian

hmmmm.......

ive been reading some posts here which say the best in handling is the fiesta, i think the Fiat chasis has been sorted out proper and a whole bunch of magazines rate the linea handling to be sublime. well the ford is tried and tested and surely it handles like a dream. but surely the linea is going to give the fiesta a run for its money there.

overall refinement, yes nothing beats the linea. add the gorgeous looks to that even.

but if power is all you crave, verna it is. but jus dont show her any corners, she doesnt like it that way. also its unusually expensive!!! for that ride quality and those horrible interiors that price is too much.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:13   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
It's the same F brand which came up first with CRDi and MultiJets, which is now licensed to many car manufacturers. It's the same brand which also owns Alpha Romeo and Ferrari. It commands much more respect that any Korean brand in Europe.
I knew that was coming. Anyways we are talking of cars in India so talk of indian market.
Was Fiat the first to bring CRDi technology to India ?
Fiat India commanding respect ?

Quote:
Anyway, the whole idea was to put down figures and let individuals decide. If you think Verna is great and Linea is crap, you are entitled to your opinion.
Go check out my posts if anywhere i have anywhere mentioned about Linea as CRAP or Verna as Great.

Last edited by kpzen : 28th February 2009 at 00:14.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:21   #123
Senior - BHPian

Have driven only 2 out of the 3 mentioned here.

Fiesta:
Very smooth sometimes i cannot even make out whether the engine is on or not. The outside clatter increases with time. Space wise its compact but has the looks and handling to die for. Features wise Linea beats both Verna and Fiesta.

Verna:
The engine to die for. But handling puts you off. Powerful engine and but such a shoddy handling. Even Getz CRDi drives better and has better high speed handling.

Looking at the features, space, looks etc i would go for Linea but then FIAT badge puts me off, not because of its FIAT just because of After Sales.

I just hope we don't get to see the TATA effect in Linea unlike Palio MJD.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:51   #124
BHPian

The Verna's strength - its engine - is also its weakness. Its simply not reliable.
According to a friend at Hyundai Service, the turbo or intercooler (he wasn't clear on this) has a known flaw and they're routinely replacing them. Hyundai has been generous enough to even subsidise costs on the spare part as well. In fact, now that I think about it.. last year (long before I was aware of this turbo issue), I had asked for a Verna TD which never arrived. When we called them later on, they said the vehicle broke down and was having issues with its turbo. At that time I never thought of it as an issue specific to the Verna, but merely thought turbo diesels were unreliable.

The thing about the suspension is up in the air. But everyone will concur that the Verna suspension is soft. IMHO if Hyundai have made a soft suspension that is great at high speeds as well, they ought to patent the technology ASAP.

Another thing I guess any honest enough Verna owner will admit to, is that it has lousy steering feel. There's a weird rubbery kinda feel as feedback, and a noticeable dead centre where slight inputs do not register. Other EPS systems like the SX4 and the ANHC in comparison aren't as far behind a HPS.

Although the latter 2 don't matter to me as a sedate driver, the first one is a serious concern.
But for those who still claim it is a driver's car, the latter 2 just don't seem to justify that.
Old 28th February 2009, 00:54   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta View Post
R series engine smoking left right and center.

There is a word "IF" in your statement .... what if 1.6L CRDi ... plonked into Verna?
Now, that will make the so called powerful 1.6L Duratorq Fiesta actually R.I.P.

So, let talk about the things which is available in India. Chill man.
Agreed that the word if exists.
But i am not talking total fantasy here. The 'if' i talked here is about the long rumoured and due 1.6 Duratorq engine.
As far as i last heard, Prototypes of Fiesta 1.6 Diesel were being tested in and around the Chennai plant.
And don't worry dude, i was just sharing my viewpoint.
Having driven the Verna on numerous occasions, I still stand by the fact that the 110 BHP of Verna is done away with the shoddy handling and drivability of the car. To each his own! Touche!
Old 28th February 2009, 01:11   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
The Verna's strength - its engine - is also its weakness. Its simply not reliable.
According to a friend at Hyundai Service, the turbo or intercooler (he wasn't clear on this) has a known flaw and they're routinely replacing them. Hyundai has been generous enough to even subsidise costs on the spare part as well.

Although the latter 2 don't matter to me as a sedate driver, the first one is a serious concern.
But for those who still claim it is a driver's car, the latter 2 just don't seem to justify that.
They had some issues with the Accent Crdi engines. What you said is a valid point. Hyundai diesel engines have a cloud about reliability. Any Hyundai Verna owners here done near to 1lak Km to carify this issue? Pls chip in.
Old 28th February 2009, 01:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I knew that was coming. Anyways we are talking of cars in India so talk of indian market.
Was Fiat the first to bring CRDi technology to India ?
Fiat India commanding respect ?
Oh, were we? I didn't know Hyundai launched or announced to launch 184 bhp R-series in India.

Anyway, I think we were clearly talking of engines and their output and smoking others. Looks like when there was nothing to boast about on that front, it had digress to brand image, that too only in India

Talking of technology, Fiat first brought ABS/Airbags in hatch, 100 bhp hatchback 10 years back, drive-by-wire, 32-bit ECUs technologies blah blah.... Having said that, Hyundai has been proactive in bringing their world class models in India, so I don't have anything against them. (But "that one" still rocks like a boat )
Old 28th February 2009, 07:44   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
Agreed that the word if exists.
But i am not talking total fantasy here. The 'if' i talked here is about the long rumoured and due 1.6 Duratorq engine.
As far as i last heard, Prototypes of Fiesta 1.6 Diesel were being tested in and around the Chennai plant.
And don't worry dude, i was just sharing my viewpoint.
Having driven the Verna on numerous occasions, I still stand by the fact that the 110 BHP of Verna is done away with the shoddy handling and drivability of the car. To each his own! Touche!
yeah i had heard too in the forum. But do you know i20 will be coming in 1.6L engine too.. it will be a killer. lol anyways i'm going out of the topic now.

ok ok 2 of my friends had engine seize in their fiesta diesel and costed them like hell. also i had seen few issues with fiesta in this forum and thanx to ford's A.S.S and spares parts cost. I wont ever come near to ford after hearing that. Cheers!

Same thing goes to linea. Fiat A.S.S highly poor in India atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
According to a friend at Hyundai Service, the turbo or intercooler (he wasn't clear on this) has a known flaw and they're routinely replacing them. Hyundai has been generous enough to even subsidise costs on the spare part as well. In fact, now that I think about it.. last year (long before I was aware of this turbo issue), I had asked for a Verna TD which never arrived. When we called them later on, they said the vehicle broke down and was having issues with its turbo. At that time I never thought of it as an issue specific to the Verna, but merely thought turbo diesels were unreliable.

Another thing I guess any honest enough Verna owner will admit to, is that it has lousy steering feel. There's a weird rubbery kinda feel as feedback, and a noticeable dead centre where slight inputs do not register. Other EPS systems like the SX4 and the ANHC in comparison aren't as far behind a HPS.

Verna never came with the Intercooler. Correct me if i'm wrong and my cousin's Verna had done 95k KM since he bought it in nov. 2006 i guess. He havnt spent a single penny on it. No Turbo Issues. No Engine broke down. Nothing. Just the service costs. Just he had a suspension overhaul and that too under warranty which is normal for indian road conditions. I can anyday go for Verna for it's shear power, reliability, A.S.S , low spare parts cost, low service bills, extended warranty (hyundai is giving now for it). What else do you need? People say it is ugly, but people havnt seen a blood red or white verna with black glasses and alloys, it looks like a killer and sporty.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:11   #129
BHPian

i have heard of this turbo issue in orkut . its all bogus!!

and yes there do is there an intercooler in the verna. its kept vertical on side of the radiator if i remember correctly i saw it after i had my freak accident

whats the buzz with all the handling and stuff?? i have never had the chance to take turns at 140kmph!! not anywhere in cbe and kerala!!

everyone speaks of linea and fiesta as if they are headed for a rally. lol.

just chill. power is one thing i enjoy in the verna . but the breaking in ABS is real good. front and back discs none in the competition now have it. except for NHC VTEC( its out of production now!!) but the icing on the cake is Cheap Spares and excellent After Sales Service.
Old 28th February 2009, 13:24   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Was Fiat the first to bring CRDi technology to India?

Quote:
Talking of technology, Fiat first brought ABS/Airbags in hatch, 100 bhp hatchback 10 years back, drive-by-wire, 32-bit ECUs technologies blah blah.... Having said that, Hyundai has been proactive in bringing their world class models in India, so I don't have anything against them. (But "that one" still rocks like a boat )
What a reply !!

Its like someone asks you which flight should he take to Mumbai from Delhi and you start telling him about Rajdhani express.

Peace out !
Old 28th February 2009, 14:32   #131
BHPian

for me, as on today the Verna scores because it offers the only sub 10L diesel automatic. i'd go for an automatic any day for my daily city commute. i believe it has taken care of the painful experience of driving a manual Verna with high turbo lag in heavy traffic. NOTE: i havent tested the Verna AT yet, but going by the good reputation enjoyed by i10 AT box.

I am a very defensive driver and usually drive <60kmph in city and <100 in the highway. so i'd love owning a good looking and goody packed Linea. but like I said Verna AT now has the potential to sway my opinion in case I am looking for a diesel sedan.

i dont care about Ford cars.
Old 2nd March 2009, 14:17   #132
BHPian

I think I have made my choice... its Verna VGT SX all the way...
Both Fiesta and Linea are incredibly low on power and Fiat especially has a lot more concerns of resale and A. S. S associated with it...
Regarding Ford, after going through what has been mentioned here, I feel the after sales is as bad too..
The users, especially Sameel (Verna ) and Shatrugna (Fiesta and Verna both) have shared their experiences which have been great not only with their cars but with the maintainance part of it... frankly, it was a difficult choice but I have fallen for Verna...

Power rules.. gotta get a real taste of it soon...
Old 5th March 2009, 14:02   #133
BANNED

Congrats !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerator View Post
I think I have made my choice... its Verna VGT SX all the way...
On owning based on looks alone, my ranking between the three would be:
  1. Fiesta
  2. Verna
  3. Linea
Old 27th March 2009, 22:12   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav911 View Post
But the catch here is that the time taken from 20-80 for Verna and Fiesta is almost the same.
Really? I've driven a Verna CRDI for the last 8 months and 15000 km now - have never seen a Fiesta TDCi performing like that. A few Fiesta TDCi drivers have at times tried their hand at this when zooming off from signals, and I have watched them go farther and farther away in my rear view mirror!

If there is a test drive data that got you this information, kindly share that so that I could go through that.

Warm regards,
Sandeep
Old 28th March 2009, 00:16   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

@sdmn: This is actually true. 20-80 in 3rd gear and 40-100 in 4th gear.
However, in a straight line, once the Verna crosses 2000rpm, there is no doubt it will leave the fiesta behind.
See, the fiesta's forte is in the city, where you rarely cross 2K rpm between shifts. The Verna doesn't fare well in that regard as it has major turbo lag.

In another thread, i mentioned how I felt the Fiesta D to be faster than cars such as the Palio 1.6, OHC 1.5 and Getz 1.3 in the city.
In yet another thread, my friends found it difficult to keep up with a fiesta D in their Accord V6 in the city.

On the highway, it is completely different though, with the fiesta running out of breath at 100-120 kmph. However, we have taken ours upto 176kmph (see my gallery for photo) with 5 people and luggage, and the car felt impressively stable, and if we are to believe reports on T-BHP, even more than the Verna at those speeds.

The reason I am not a big fan of the Verna is because of its boring interiors and exteriors, and poor suspension.

OT: One thing I realized: I have been a big Fiat and Ford fan ever since we had an Ikon and a Siena. I always wanted to exchange the fiesta for a Linea. Now however, I have realized one thing. The more I drive the fiesta, i fall even more in love with her and can't see myself using the Linea as my car. Maybe as another car in the family but not as something that I would want to replace the fiesta with. I think the 1.6MJD/1.9 MJD is long overdue from Fiat.

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th March 2009 at 00:31.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed