Team-BHP - Now the CNG Innova
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Now the CNG Innova (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/54235-now-cng-innova.html)

Thanks to this CNG version Toyota may actually end up selling some petrol Innovas!:

Toyota launches first ever CNG MPV in India

 Energy efficient version of the fast selling Innova debuts in the country
 CNG version available in all petrol grades of the Innova
 Offers about 50% saving over diesel in running costs
 To be priced at about Rs 85000 higher than petrol version

Toyota Kirloskar Motor (TKM) today announced the availability of the Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) powered Innova, the first energy efficient multipurpose vehicle in the country, which is available in all petrol grades of the Innova. The dual fuel Innova will use CNG as an alternate fuel. The Innova, India’s most popular multipurpose vehicle since its launch in 2005, will now provide customers a more economical and environment friendly driving option.

The Innova comes with a 1998 cc, 16V DOHC VVTi petrol engine which is compatible with CNG. The CNG Innova has a manual selector switch that enables the driver to easily switch from gasoline to CNG and vice versa. The on-board cylinder has a capacity of approximately 12kg of CNG and the running cost on CNG for the Innova is estimated to be around Re. 1.6/km or even less depending on the driving cycle. Taking into account mileage, increased engine oil life and reduced maintenance costs, the CNG Innova offers about 50% saving over diesel in running costs. The CNG Innova will be priced at around Rs 85000 higher than the current petrol version.

TKM has tied up with the leading CNG kit supplier M/s Minda Auto Gas Ltd to supply the CNG kits. The sophisticated kit is not only safe; its advanced Lambda control system ensures that it meets the Euro III emission norms. To ensure that there are no flaws in the fitment process, TKM has a special arrangement with M/s Minda Auto Gas Ltd to retro fit the kits on the Innova.

In the first phase of launch, the CNG Innova has been introduced in Delhi, Mumbai, Surat, Hyderabad and Ahmedabad. The CNG Innova will also soon be launched in Baroda and Vijaywada. All Toyota dealers in the above 7 cities are equipped to sell and service the CNG Innova.

Since its launch in 2005, the Innova has been the market leader with sales exceeding over 1.62 lakh vehicles so far. It has dominated the MPV market and appealed to MPV customers as well as Sedan buyers who prioritize spaciousness and performance, achieving a 36% market share in the MPV segment in calendar year 2008. In January this year, TKM launched the updated version of the Innova with advanced and dynamic styling.

Thats good move, 85,000/- more means it would cost same as corresponding Deisel Innova variant. It should help taxy operators in better way.

I hope they would launch LPG version too in future.

Regards,

Ravi.

Assuming the FE, 12 Km per kg, a 12 kg full tank will run for almost 150kms.

So, Its is not good for a Taxi operators frequently doing long trips.

Also the huge tank will kill the luggage space.

One has to also deal with small niggling issues with CNG.

So, still Diesel sounds better. Not sure about power drop of Innova CNG.

12 KG tank will realistically hold 8 KGS MAX. At a 12 km/kg average, an Innova will cover approximately 100 kms per fill.

Doesnt sound like alot but once you experience the economy, you forget everything else :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 1191892)
Taking into account mileage, increased engine oil life and reduced maintenance costs, the CNG Innova offers about 50% saving over diesel in running costs.

Increased engine oil life is due to CNG which is termed as clean fuel or something else??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screwdriva (Post 1192054)
12 KG tank will realistically hold 8 KGS MAX. At a 12 km/kg average, an Innova will cover approximately 100 kms per fill.

Doesnt sound like alot but once you experience the economy, you forget everything else :)

screwdriva is right, a 12 kg cylinder will not be able to give more than this.
I think the CNG variant would be really useful for the people who use it as a family car and not for the cabbies.

I think they made mistake by adding CNG to Petrol Innova. If they have done this with Diesel they could have attracted cabi guys.

Is the maintenance cost of the petrol Innova significantly lower than the diesel? Is the service interval of the petrol longer than the diesel's 5K schedule?
There are a couple of die-hard petrol Innova fans on the forum who can answer this.

Now give us an AT transmissioon in the Innova Toyota - to trully end the era of sedans for the Indian family man!!:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam003 (Post 1192197)
I think they made mistake by adding CNG to Petrol Innova. If they have done this with Diesel they could have attracted cabi guys.

Can you add CNG to a diesel? I don't think so. CNG will still need the spark plug of a petrol engine to combust, me thinks.

Will the Kit be dealer fitted or company fitted? What I mean is that will the ECU be controlling gas flow as well because in after market fits, your vehicle's ECU doesn't play complete role. Will there be other changes corresponding to the CNG fitment like suspensions etc designed accordingly to have the extra cylinder load?

Quote:

 Offers about 50% saving over diesel in running costs
Can this be right? that's a huge saving over a frugal diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 1192202)
Can you add CNG to a diesel? I don't think so. CNG will still need the spark plug of a petrol engine to combust, me thinks.

All DTC and public transport in Delhi is on CNG and they are running on Diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam003 (Post 1192236)

Yes, you are correct but I think they cannot switch back to diesel on their wish, i.e. just pressing a button as in case of petrol engine.
May be that, conversion from diesel to CNG needs some serious modifications in the engine.

Oh finally. Delhi already has many CNG innovas running around. Now they'd wished that they had waited :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by sam003 (Post 1192236)

The very old busses tried to retrofit CNG on a diesel engine. I believe that experiment was a failure. The newer busses come with dedicated CNG engines like Cummins' B Gas Plus. There is no diesel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s10 (Post 1192246)
Yes, you are correct but I think they cannot switch back to diesel on their wish, i.e. just pressing a button as in case of petrol engine.
May be that, conversion from diesel to CNG needs some serious modifications in the engine.

Yes, you are right - trying to get a diesel engine to run on CNG is much more problematic than doing the same on a petrol engine.

I don't know about CNG rates and how much FE Innova would give. But what I understood is Petrol Innova with LPG economy is around 8-9 kmpl of LPG. So still Diesel Innova which would give 11-13kmpl as FE is cheaper to run.

Cost differance between Petrol and Diesel Innova is around 85000/-

So unless CNG Innova is tuned for very good FE I didn't understand how this would help ?

About sevice intervals of Petrol and Diesel Innovas:

Petrol Innova need service once in a year or 10,000km and well maintained Petrol Innova service cost would be 3000/- per service towards oil change, wheel balancing/rotation/alignment and general service and wash once in 10000km.

Based on experience I calculated it would cost max. 35 paisa per kilometer for first 40,000km in Innova as service charges.

40,000km (air/ac filter etc.. change), 80,000km, 1 lac km (belt etc.. change) service would attract more money but not more than 8000/- as per my knowledge.

From 40,000km onwards service costs would be around 60 paisa per km for Petrol Innova. Only weakness I found is Battery replacement needed once in 2 years or 30,000km but again it might be due to more usage of features when vehicle is off.

For Diesel Innova there slightly extra costs involved. Only thing is it needs service once in 5000km or 6 months. But I don't know how much it would costs per km to maintain Diesel Innova.

Regards,

Ravi.