Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2005, 15:12   #1
Team-BHP Support

Tata Safari Redux

Saw in the Overdrive today. It carries scoop pics of the new tata safari undergoing Road testing. The exteriors have slight modifications. The main change is the Common Rail DI engine. These guys had a very hard time playing catch up in their diesel innova. So looks like the beast finally packs a punch. If price remains same, is the new 120BHP safari a good deal? Should be in showrooms in a couple of months
Old 5th May 2005, 15:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

If it is reliable and does not look wimpy, then yes it is a good buy.
Reliability and tough looks are what a SUV needs to succeed along with a good powerful engine.
The looks and presence along with peace of mind are the reasons the endeavour is selling so much.
When Autocar carried the scoop, the look looked to VICTA-ish.
If OD has any pics can you please uplpad it?
Thanks.
Old 5th May 2005, 17:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Saw in the Overdrive today. It carries scoop pics of the new tata safari undergoing Road testing. The exteriors have slight modifications. The main change is the Common Rail DI engine. These guys had a very hard time playing catch up in their diesel innova. So looks like the beast finally packs a punch. If price remains same, is the new 120BHP safari a good deal? Should be in showrooms in a couple of months
to answer that...HELL YES!!!!!!!!! a 120 bhp safari would be a heck of a deal... it will be more powerful than the endeavour, the subaru (chevrolet here) forrester, the indian pajero 2.8 (!!!), hyundai tucson, and the scorpio. so, i guess it'll be the most powerful suv produced here in india (mark my words- produced in india, which discounts the pajero, forrester, cr-v, tucson, and the terracan).

therefore, it will be a HELL of a car..no..SUV for the current retail price. and true, the OD guys do look like they are running out of breath while catching the new safari.

expect performance figures of; top speed- 160 kmph+, 0-100 in about 13-15 seconds, and excellent torque with matching driveability.... oh, and a new gearbox...one which doesn't have the trademark "marching noise". plus, that all-important 4X4, and those C-O-M-F-O-R-T-A-B-L-E seats, that could put a pajero or a merc to shame...!!!!

really looking forward to this one...thinking of trading in my existing safari....and waiting for this one since a long time, too..... and it'll be out before diwali, maybe even by august!!

and here's the link.....

NEW TATA SAFARI !!!!

p.s- a thread already exists on this topic dude.... you could have searched before posting.... but it's okay...

Last edited by veyron1 : 5th May 2005 at 17:17.
Old 5th May 2005, 17:25   #4
BHPian

mmmmmmmm!! Crdi Safari, Mouth Watering!!
Old 5th May 2005, 17:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand
mmmmmmmm!! Crdi Safari, Mouth Watering!!

AMEN to that my brother!!!

p.s- on checking the link, you'll find that the new headlamps are, in fact, gorgeous, (i thought they might take away the car's MIGHT-iness).

also, just check out the alloys.....drool maal, man.....!!! and they are 16 inchers!!

at last, we may have a true indian pajero; provided the quality levels of the trims and panels move up a notch- the only problem areas for safari; they do not last the distance...

and for once, tatas can kick all other suv/muv maker's @$$- and i'm saying that not just because i LOVE tata, but i have faith in them.... and one very fine day (which is not very far), they shall triumph...!!

Last edited by veyron1 : 5th May 2005 at 17:41.
Old 5th May 2005, 17:41   #6
SUV
BHPian

New Safari Launch

Hey guy's

The Launch date is sometime end of 2005, I blv they are having issues with the CRDI motor(Source - A well know Tata Dealer). All my rides are Tata's (previous & Current) .. Going by the experience i would suggest to wait atleast a year before buying the New Model.
Old 5th May 2005, 17:47   #7
Senior - BHPian

I personally hate the fact that the Safari will have nearly the same design except for headlights and taillights. Engine should be good.
Old 5th May 2005, 18:29   #8
Senior - BHPian

this is gonna be launched at the end of 2005
source:tata dealer and workshop people of malik cars in hyd.
found out when i went to pick up my safari after major overhauling of gearbox and suspension.
Old 5th May 2005, 20:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the pics. I really dont see any ground breaking difference in the design and infact the rear looks the same as the existing Safari. The new CRDi engine should be powerful and I hope its refined . But no way is it going to be priced as the current Safari, its surely going to be more expensive .

The pricing factor will be very important in the now developing UV market

Dippy
Old 5th May 2005, 23:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody visiting Pune regularly in the early morning should be able to catch the car in disguise.
I remember seeing 3-4 Marinas, with the rear covered quite often on the expressway.
Old 7th May 2005, 13:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

New TATA

looks good, TATA Safari has always been good lookin, it was just a case of fitting better engine
Old 7th May 2005, 17:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

saw the pics in overdrive
think they trying to make the front look a little like the old landcrusiers.
Old 7th May 2005, 18:24   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
I personally hate the fact that the Safari will have nearly the same design except for headlights and taillights. Engine should be good.
well... i don't see anything wrong with the current design- it's a pretty good one- and remember, it's been designed in italy... so, i guess i am a fan of the new design as depicted in the pics.

and guys, the tata dudes aren't having problems with the crd-i motor; it's just that they're taking time to make it the best (read: compete with toyota quality- only in terrms of engine. tata has a long way to go in terms of build quality). also, making the engine commercially viable is taking some time.

and yes, the crd-i version won't be available at the exact same price- expect an increase of about 50,000 Rs ; so, it'll fall in almost the the same price range.....

and i also have doubts about the power (read: specs) of the engine- tata had said something about their all- new crd-i engine at the geneva auto show this year, and Mr. ratan tata himself quoted the power figures of their 2.2 litre crd-i engine to be 140 bhp, and torque of 300 nm+..... this engine was shown as an optional alternative to the indigenious MPV, the Xover, which was derived from their earlier design, the indiva.

so, i have my doubts about the 2.2 litre engine- it could be producing 140 bhp, instead of 120... and i ain't complaining...!!!
Old 7th May 2005, 18:57   #14
BHPian

This is awesome, do you guys think that the new Safari would be able to give the Fortuner a run for its money?? Tata's have just made my life difficult by giving one more option?? ;-) Heh Heh, Never-the-less, this is a welcome news. I just hope that they do launch it in India first unlike their other export only products. Finally Tata has started making world class products..

Looking forward to a comparison test between the Safari and the Fortuner..

Manish.
Old 8th May 2005, 22:14   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man23ish
This is awesome, do you guys think that the new Safari would be able to give the Fortuner a run for its money??

Dude, it practically seems impossible that the Safari will be better than the Fortuner in terms of quality, refinement, reliability.

But then it all depends on the pricing strategy. If the Safari is decent enough and is priced at around 9-10 lacs, its cheaper than its competition by around 4-5 lacs (Talk Tucson and Fortuner as the latter is expected to cost around 13 lacs atleast). This would definately give the Fortuner a run for its money.

I would buy a Safari scoring 8/10 rather than a Fortuner with 9.5/10, to save that extra money.

P.S. Think what the Indica is doing to its competition at the moment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks