Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 16:20   #76
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea engine options that will be launched in the Indian Polo?? I hope we dont get the diesel clatter from the Fabia in the Polo
Old 27th July 2009, 16:31   #77
Senior - BHPian

From whatever the ACI said, it will be 1.2 TDi 75 bhp dsl engine, and 1.2 litre petrol engine in the Fabia initially. VW might bring in the 1.2 TSFi at a later stage depending on the sales. This 1.2 TDi is said to be India spec engine.
Old 27th July 2009, 17:27   #78
Team-BHP Support

Internationally it also comes with 1.6L TD CR engine. This engine in the Polo is 105PS with a DSG box.

This will be really expensive as it wont even get tax exemptions but will be the car to look out for. It maybe priced at 10L.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:31   #79
BHPian

all i want is a true hot hatch - good handling, nice turbo petrol engine which throws out 120bhp or more, all disc brakes and independent suspension. To cut costs, they can get rid of alloys, audio and other aftermarket stuff! Price it under 8 lacs :-)

Last edited by jassi : 27th July 2009 at 23:32.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:53   #80
Senior - BHPian

Asking for too much jassi?

It ain't possible for all this spec to come under 8 lac.
If they do offer something like this, it won't be less than 10 lakh on road i'm sure.
Old 28th July 2009, 00:01   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

He meant "18 lakh" --- just forgot to type the "1"
Old 28th July 2009, 00:11   #82
BHPian

yeah i guess i asked for too much - maybe 10 lacs would be a good price.
i will lower the specs - turbo 100bhp petrol, front discs, independent suspension, no alloys and no audio. PCD 100 - so that one can add alloys of choice!
And an official aftermarket tuning option from VW itself (or like abarth) so that we can move to all disc brakes and all the goodies later

edit - ok lets make it 11 lacs! but it better look good and handle well :-)
Old 30th July 2009, 09:24   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
From whatever the ACI said, it will be 1.2 TDi 75 bhp dsl engine, and 1.2 litre petrol engine in the Fabia initially. VW might bring in the 1.2 TSFi at a later stage depending on the sales. This 1.2 TDi is said to be India spec engine.
Just saw an old episode of Overdrive. Shirish did mention that 1.2 TDI is one of the most fuel efficient diesel engine - 30km/l. Let us wait for this car to run on our Indian bumper to bumper traffic. The other engine would is yummy is 1.2 TSI petrol 0-100 in 9.67 secs!! Bring it on VW!!!
Old 30th July 2009, 10:18   #84
Team-BHP Support

Its quite ironic that a group that has a range of award winning high tech engines at its disposal is shoving bottom of the pile options here. I'm not a big fan of the fabia powermills (petrol and diesel) and if the Polo will get the same engines initially then its quite disappointing. If they're gunning for premium pricing then lets see their premium engines. 1.2 TSi from the beginning for instance with Manual and DSG options.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:21   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
all i want is a true hot hatch - good handling, nice turbo petrol engine which throws out 120bhp or more, all disc brakes and independent suspension. To cut costs, they can get rid of alloys, audio and other aftermarket stuff! Price it under 8 lacs :-)
hmmm something similar is the Bravo, which will cost around 24 lacs. Agreed 100 % duty but still 12 lacs is the cost.

And adding DSG shoots up the price a lot, so i guess they would be better off without the dsg as we said before the 1.2 tsi is a good engine, the tsis are beign used in the new Superb, the Audis....

cheers,
ac
Old 30th July 2009, 21:07   #86
BHPian

The simple logic is that somebody who pays a premium for a Polo over a Fabia or i20 (which is already a premium over a Swift or a Punto) would expect goodies such as a 100bhp+ engine, DSG, high quality plastics, rear disc brakes, satnav and so on.

Everyone already expects the Polo to be the highest priced car in this segment (so called premium hatches). However, nobody expects this car to be outpowered and out-featured by an i20.

VW needs to stick to its brand identity of building high quality cars that are slightly more expensive than the Japanese and the Koreans. Thats why it would be best to leave the cost cutting to those same Japanese and Korean cars, or even the Skoda (VW's in-house budget brand).

If VW tries to pass off 3/4ths or 9/10ths of a European Polo as an Indian Polo, the move will surely backfire. Starting with me (if there's no TSI engine with DSG, I'll be buying a Honda)!

Last edited by theEnd : 30th July 2009 at 21:08.
Old 12th August 2009, 16:47   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEnd View Post
The simple logic is that somebody who pays a premium for a Polo over a Fabia or i20 (which is already a premium over a Swift or a Punto) would expect goodies such as a 100bhp+ engine, DSG, high quality plastics, rear disc brakes, satnav and so on.

Everyone already expects the Polo to be the highest priced car in this segment (so called premium hatches). However, nobody expects this car to be outpowered and out-featured by an i20.
Agreed. And can someone explain to me how the new Laura/ Octavia has a 1.8 TSI engine when VW claims that fuel quality is too poor to bring the 1.2 TSI to india with the Polo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
yeah i guess i asked for too much - maybe 10 lacs would be a good price.

edit - ok lets make it 11 lacs! but it better look good and handle well :-)
If you look at the UK prices being quoted on road, the top of the line spec for a 1.6 diesel with pretty much the works comes to 11 odd lakh. WITHOUT lowering the spec!!
What are we doing wrong other than being born in the wrong damn place?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th August 2009 at 14:01. Reason: Please read the note in post, Thanks
Old 12th August 2009, 16:53   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
This 1.2 TDi is said to be India spec engine.
India spec means what. Technical differences or `India'/developing country quality and material used. To be fair to VW, this India version quality attitude seems endemic to nearly all companies (foreign and domestic).
Old 12th August 2009, 17:12   #89
Senior - BHPian

I've said this before: I hope to god that the 1.2 crackpot skoda engine isn't there. Ideally I'd want the 1.2 TSI, but if that's not possible the 1.4l petrol should be decent enough.

I dream of owning a 1.2 TSI polo fully loaded (sat nav, touchscreen interface etc) in red with beautiful rims and low profile tyres...

sigh.
Old 12th August 2009, 17:12   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
India spec means what. Technical differences or `India'/developing country quality and material used. To be fair to VW, this India version quality attitude seems endemic to nearly all companies (foreign and domestic).
From what I know, they do not have any 1.2 TDi in their portfolio yet. This engine is designed for India. Whether they use components from India or not, I have no idea.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks