Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2009, 21:52   #1
BHPian

Wild rumour about Swift brakes. Baseless though.

I got to hear recently from a co-worker that Maruti's Swift's(Diesel as well as Petrol) are highly prone to brake failures. That there have been numerous instances of such mishaps happening. Also got to hear that Maruti is kind of brushing under the carpet all such failures(or most of them).
Is this true? Has anyone on this forum faced any such issues with their Swifts or heard of such issues?
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:22   #2
BHPian

Stay away from the Rumor Mongers dude! If it was the case, it would be all over T-Bhp.

Which car does your co-worker own btw?
Old 2nd March 2009, 23:29   #3
BHPian

you are making me apprehensive mate!!. I just now wanted to book a swift as my second car . Now i think i must do some research on this. Will keep a watch on this thread before i decide
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:07   #4
BHPian

one of my friend had a brake failure in his swift and had to get the brake booster changed....even when i am driving my swift diesel i feel the brakes are a little weak...overall in all swifts
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:15   #5
BHPian

I once said- "India is a land of rumors and superstitious"

This post is a good example of it.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:20   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
Maruti's Swift's(Diesel as well as Petrol) are highly prone to brake failures.
Is this true? Has anyone on this forum faced any such issues with their Swifts or heard of such issues?
Absolute, utter nonsense, rubbish, balderdash and figments of a demented person's imagination.

(From someone who owns a Swift)
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:41   #7
Senior - BHPian

Must be misinterpretation of the 165/R14 JK tyres.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Somehow I feel this to be a marketing ploy adopted by the rivaling company. This news about Brake failure on Swift is utter rubbish.
Old 3rd March 2009, 00:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Well i feel that the breaking is a little weak in swift compared to Palio and Getz. But never heard anyone that had a break failure.
Old 3rd March 2009, 05:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbkamit View Post
one of my friend had a brake failure in his swift and had to get the brake booster changed....even when i am driving my swift diesel i feel the brakes are a little weak...overall in all swifts
Once a seed of doubt has been sown in one's mind, one starts to find all kind of problems with one's car, most of them non existent. The Swift has very capable brakes, what it lacks is grip, with OE tyres. Under hard braking the OE JK's are known to lose traction, maybe that is the root cause of all these rumours.

Switch to good footwear and watch the brakes work. You can stop on a dime(or Rupee, if you wish) if you chose to.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is this the first time we are hearing about it on TBHP? I have never heard anyone say this since its launch.
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:30   #12
BHPian

Break failures on Swift is something i'm hearing for the first time. Does your co-worker own a swift?
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:42   #13
BHPian

I've never heard of a brake failure in the swift but yes the brakes are a little weak IMO. If you subject the car to even a little hard braking, you'll definitely hear a distinct creak everytime you brake(MASS will fix this for you). Also the stock tyres make for an unnerving braking experience so maybe that's what your friends talking about.

As a rule, try & gear check to slow down, done within the right ranges, its actually good for your car and saves you the trouble of braking(save those brakes!) everytime you wanna slow down even a little.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:15   #14
Team-BHP Support

It's mainly due to the tyres and not anything to do with the brakes. A tyre upgrade will improve braking by a great deal. Also the ABS versions have excellent braking. I'm sure Vikram_d will vouch for that. lol.
Old 3rd March 2009, 09:16   #15
BHPian

Do you or your co-worker have at any point of time owned a Swift (Petrol or Diesel)? Dude you do not sweep something as important as brake issues under the carpet, as you said.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks