Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:00   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvjascha View Post
So, if I put new tires, will that resolve the breaking noise completely?
Definitely.
If you want to stick to 14" go for either 185 or 195.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:06   #32
Ice
BHPian

Brake Failure: Total loss of any kind of stopping power. Pedal depresses all the way to the floor, and driver has an omigod expression. Seen often in movies where the hero's rich father dies in a car accident.

Poor braking and brake failure are 2 entirely different thing! Poor braking can be caused by a variety of external factors, such as poor (wet/loose sand) road surface, tyres (narrow, bald, over/under inflated), wearing down of brake pads and discs, and other such reasons. The car takes longer to stop, and probably stops with great drama. But it still stops!

Mods, delete the thread, or at least change the title please!
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:32   #33
BHPian

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest

Looks like I stirred up a hornets nest here. Well I was not sure when my post would appear on the forum, and hence the delay in responding.

Read through all the reply posts - let me try to provide answers to a few questions(that stick on the top of my mind) raised across the thread:

1. Is this post driven by any Maruti competitor? Hell No!!. I am also just one of the many folks trying to zero in on a good car to buy.

2. Do I own a swift? No. I am researching which car to buy.

3. What car does my co-worker own? - He owns a Swift Petrol!!.

4. Is this a rumour? -As far as my co-worker's experience is concerned, no! He was driving Bangalore Chennai- and the Swift brakes just failed. Steering also froze. Ended up ramming into the back of a tractor trailer - his spouse got injured. By God's grace nothing else happened. His car got badly damaged. He showed me photographs. If I get them I will post them.
In addition, it was at this instance that he learned that
Maruti was trying to brush it under the carpet.

5. Is this an issue with ALL Swifts? No idea- rather - it is highly unlikely. I was trying to get the BHPians experiences up here to get clarity and an understanding on the gravity of the incidence.

6. Is it due to the stock tyres? - No. It had nothing to do with the tyres. The brakes just went hard is what he said. No response on pressing the brake as hard as one could try.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:31   #34
BHPian

This thread has served a purpose of getting all Swift owners to speak up.

Definitely Swift has no brake failure issues. This thread title is an exaggeration.

Regarding poor breaking as mentioned by others here, this is a relative term depending on the cars one has handled before. In the segment Swift is positioned it has a superior quality of brakes. Same is not applicable for the OE tyres used in Swift.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:44   #35
BHPian

I am facing the same problem of weak brakes on my Swift Vdi (No ABS). I have upgraded my tires but the problem is not about wheel locking or skidding. Its just that they are weak. I had raised this issue on my first service and the Sai service attendant told me that the brakes are normal and you are welcome to check it on any other swift. I drove another LDi and the brake felt the same. After this I immediately upgraded my tires and the brakes still feel the same.

I had a palio before, I have an Innova and santro as well so comparing brakes with these cars. Even my santro that has driven 50k kms have better brakes.

I was also explained (Sai Service) that the in gear braking on swift D is bad because of the torque that engine produces. I have experience it. I went upto speed of 70 ( 4th Gear) and hit the brakes without cluth the car slowed down to around 50 and then the brakes felt very weak and at 40 I pressed the clutch. However I did the same by pressing the clutch and braking, the braking was much better.

Is it possible that suzuki carried forward the brakes of petrol swift to swift D and is not adequate enough for the torque it produces?

Is it possible I can upgrade the brake pads to some performance ones for better bite? I personally suspect very hard break pads for a longer life.

Experts advice I am scared to drive my swift on Highways anymore because of this reason.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:45   #36
BHPian

No brake issues so far

I own Swift ZXi, driving it for last 3.5 years and never experienced any braking issues. I have driven it on good roads, bad roads, ghats and highways. Few times had to brake at 100+ speed, and it responded as expected.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:57   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
4. Is this a rumour? -As far as my co-worker's experience is concerned, no! He was driving Bangalore Chennai- and the Swift brakes just failed. Steering also froze. Ended up ramming into the back of a tractor trailer - his spouse got injured.
From these words it looks like the engine got switched off (how?). Only then the Steering will freeze and the brakes loses the power. I think he should investigate why the engine was put off at that time?

In my experience with my Swift D, never felt that the brakes were insufficient.
Old 3rd March 2009, 12:58   #38
BANNED

I've done a lot of highway driving on my Swift, and I've never faced any serious break-related problems. So, the issue isn't about poor/weak braking, but the noise that emanates while breaking or when making tight turns.

Last edited by luvjascha : 3rd March 2009 at 13:00.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:09   #39
Team-BHP Support

I haven't heard of or experienced any brake problems with Swifts. My uncle's ZXi is now more than 2 years old and the brakes are still very good. The JBL cars that I had been driving for a while didn't suffer from brake problems either. The one problem that most Swift owners I know are complaining about is rattle.
Brake trouble - maybe a one off case or just plain rumors.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:39   #40
BANNED

Thats serious lin-jo. Glad that all are safe.
Maybe the problem is with certain batch of Swifts. Could you get the manufacturing date of that particular Swift?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
He was driving Bangalore Chennai- and the Swift brakes just failed. Steering also froze. Ended up ramming into the back of a tractor trailer - his spouse got injured. By God's grace nothing else happened. His car got badly damaged. He showed me photographs. If I get them I will post them.
In addition, it was at this instance that he learned that
Maruti was trying to brush it under the carpet.
Its just a mechanical part. It can fail. How can you be so sure it will never fail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Definitely Swift has no brake failure issues. This thread title is an exaggeration.
Old 3rd March 2009, 13:56   #41
BHPian

Brake failure for me

I am a victim of Swift brake failure - I had a VDi Swift + ABS with ZXi tyres and alloys (wider tires)

The brakes failed me at a crucial moment, and I had the worst accident of my life. The car got totaled, but that was the least of my problems.

I swore not to buy any Maruti stuff ever again in my life. (I am free to have my own opinion based on my experience - I am not telling all Swifts are bad. Just that I cannot buy any Maruti ever again in my life, unless something drastic happens)

I am not a novice driver either. The brakes locked and I couldn't use the ABS.

I am not writing more about it because the accident was quite traumatic for me personally.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:07   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I am a victim of Swift brake failure - I had a VDi Swift + ABS with ZXi tyres and alloys (wider tires)

The brakes failed me at a crucial moment, and I had the worst accident of my life. The car got totaled, but that was the least of my problems.

I swore not to buy any Maruti stuff ever again in my life. (I am free to have my own opinion based on my experience - I am not telling all Swifts are bad. Just that I cannot buy any Maruti ever again in my life, unless something drastic happens)

I am not a novice driver either. The brakes locked and I couldn't use the ABS.

I am not writing more about it because the accident was quite traumatic for me personally.
@Sriram: Sorry about the incident!

And this news is a shocker!
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:18   #43
BHPian

3 years of ownership - no problems yet. rumors suck!!
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:26   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
3 years of ownership - no problems yet. rumors suck!!
Rumors don't suck. People are simply narrating their experiences.
Old 3rd March 2009, 14:29   #45
BHPian

One of my friend had a similar brake failure in his Swift Dezire and rammed into a truck.. he also swears he'll never buy a Maruti again..
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks