Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 14:11   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
One more pic for clear front view
I feel that this is a good attempt by tata and pinnafarina . Eventhough there have been a lot of design cues snatched from other models, but still as a package, the car looks pretty nice. Somehow the front seems too bland IMO. Maybe i am thinking a more agressive grille and bumper will give it a better front profile. But like most people have said, i hope this is just not a concept and will get to see this car on the roads someday.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:12   #62
BHPian

I hate this comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
now all it needs is a mismatched diesel engine, some cheap plastics, a few design defects, and the promise of ABS/Airbags in the next 6~8 months to become a real tata product
Hey bro that's not fair, they are in the business (Passenger vehicle) only for the past ~10 yrs, and there are manufactures who are there for centuries still struggles to make a complete product, so please don't pass on a sarcastic comments like this. and I hate that bcoz Mr.Tata is the one person who turned the world to look India as a country interms of global automaker.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:22   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Cross between The XF and the Opel Insignia.... which is not a bad thing.
Exactly my thought plus inspiration from the Peugot 407 front but none the less a very neat looking car that should shake the Indian premium segment with TM's VFM USP. By the way does anybody what happened to the proposed TATA MAGNA which was showcased in Auto Expo 04/06

Good engine specs and quality build can definitely make it a world beater.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-peugeot407coupe.jpg  

Last edited by MileCruncher : 4th March 2009 at 14:31. Reason: missed a few posts so my response was incomplete
Old 4th March 2009, 14:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
The car looks really attractive (from outside).

Give solid built, good interiors, remove all the niggling issues & above all, please bring it India with a good engine (Best is not expected) (please dont put fiat 1.3 MJD-the universal engine of India again).

After Vista this is the car which can revolutionize the TATA's Image in Indian car market.
Lol. Yes we dont want the UNIVERSAL engine again- please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
While I'm pretty sure this vehicle will not see daylight for quite some time, it is quite amusing to see how people are more interested to point out design cues from other vehicles rather than rate this vehicle on its own.

This is a concept designed by Pininfarina, a reputed design house who have more at stake in the design business than Tata has. While an all-new, ground-up design that is free of ANY design cues used in any other product around the world MAY be possible, the question is whether the client is willing to take a risk with such a design or even pay for the effort involved in the same. Therefore it is not entirely unexpected that some design elements seen elsewhere may be apparent in this vehicle. In any case, VERY few vehicles today look totally new in this segment of 'value' sedans. Unless its French, of course - and we know their designs are on either extreme.

Yes it does look Peugot-ish(front-on), Maserati-ish (grille), Jaguar-ish, Opel-ish. However as a vehicle (and not as parts) it does manage to look pretty decent.

The pity is that we will NEVER get to see lines (shut or otherwise) this perfect in any of their production vehicles unless they stop building to a price. The other issue is that the market now EXPECTS them to build to a price and deliver at an even lower price. They need a re-positioning and IMHO the only way they an reposition is to take a hit on their margins and build quality into the priceband they are in. Once they have built up a reputation for quality I am sure they can slowly increase their prices to more realistic levels and nobody will actually complain.
Extremely well said. I agree with everything u said. We need to understand as there are so many designs and so many cars a resemblance is quiet possible. Dont they say every person has 7 identical looking people around the world, so why not cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
this car looks supercool! most of the cribbers here are talking about familiar design cues to justify their dislike of this one.

so what if its ripped off from 100 other existing cars? the question should be if looks good by itself or not. to me, it looks quite good, though i dont think that the front outstandingly great. i see it priced in the 8L-11L band competing with City, Optra, SX4 etc.

i hope there is an automatic variant too. if they can grab the engine from Fiat, why not an auto tranny?
On the money CAD. If launched TATA will price it on a killer basis as that is the only company which believes in given VFM product(maybe cos of being the complete Indian company).
People should remember when Indica was launched way back it was awarded the best looking hatch. And even i find Vista quiet good looking(Marina and Indigo were not that great designs though). Even the Euro Nano looks damn cute. As Ratan Tata has said they will launch Nano in europe in 2011 so they are quiet serious for the car market.
If Tata plans to release this vehicle in near future we can expect Honda,Fiat,MUL,Ford,Hyundai to sweat a bit as currently TATA does not give any vehicle in C segment as a competition to them.

@Pulsar- Rightly said. Yes the quality of their current cars are not world class however they know that and thats why the price it the lowest among the competition. They are learning and going ahead and I am quiet proud of the way they have been progressing in India and on the world scene. Its not easy to go and compete with century old car makers.

Last edited by harry10 : 4th March 2009 at 14:35.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:36   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post

On the money CAD. If launched TATA will price it on a killer basis as that is the only company which believes in given VFM product(maybe cos of being the complete Indian company).
May be because if they even sell one car to each TATA group employee, they will recover all their investment and breakeven on the project.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:43   #66
Senior - BHPian

Design looks promising...Are they going to fit the 1.4 ltr engine to this as well ? lol
Old 4th March 2009, 14:43   #67
Senior - BHPian

The car looks pretty good even though design elements are lifted from a lot of cars.

I feel TATA should start a new premium brand for their new cars (eg. toyota-lexus). They should launch their newer cars with good interiors and a lot better build quality so that they can compete with the skodas,toyotas and hondas. They could have started their new brand with the vista but it is still not too late.
Another concept that could positioned in the new brand is the people carrier (indicruz??). The new safari also could be in. They can start building a new brand with completely new brand value. They can learn from their mistakes from the tata cars regarding build quality (panel gaps) interiors, A|S|S etc.
They could seriously enter the international market. Hope some of the technoligical advances from JLR rubs off on tata too.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

An intern from JLR could have done a better job. Would have also helped in implementing it to compete with Honda or Toyota.
Old 4th March 2009, 14:54   #69
BHPian

A car which looks like that coming out of an Indian stable should make us all proud. Although it borrows styling cues from a variety of other cars mentioned previously, you have to admit, it is still a TATA product. And it has been developed for the global market. Yes, it is still a concept and not a production car yet, but it is still eye catching. Way to go TATA!!!
Old 4th March 2009, 16:10   #70
BANNED

Tough call as to which looks worse - the Prima or the Linea.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:19   #71
Senior - BHPian

Not Bad i must say..Tata is capable of producing such sleek cars after all...But i still feel there are traces of Indica in this car too...old habits die hard.
Old 4th March 2009, 16:35   #72
BHPian

The rear end of this is quite stunning - the front & side profiles are missing something (I don't know what, but something is missing I feel)

IMHO - Tata's should take a Jag - fit it with Fiat's MJD engine, brand it as a TATA & launch it in the indian market
Old 4th March 2009, 16:57   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Tough call as to which looks worse - the Prima or the Linea.
You are really one of the rarest people who think Linea looks bad.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:18   #74
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
You are really one of the rarest people who think Linea looks bad.
I'm serious and I'm not saying this to ruffle any feathers - the Linea just does not move me (even after seeing it in person). I have said it before and I'll say it again - of all the cars that FIAT brought into India, the pre-Stile Palios still look the best - killer looks and still look contemporary.
Old 4th March 2009, 17:28   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I'm serious and I'm not saying this to ruffle any feathers - the Linea just does not move me (even after seeing it in person). I have said it before and I'll say it again - of all the cars that FIAT brought into India, the pre-Stile Palios still look the best - killer looks and still look contemporary.
Looks are subjective always. What looks quiet good to me may look quiet ordinary to you .
Lets not be OT.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed