Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2009, 09:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit27 View Post
Give them a chance yaar they can't do worse than Laura's for reliability ! Right ?
Hush. Suchlike aren't to be spoken of. Quiet, you.
Old 5th March 2009, 09:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

I think so too. But hey, I do believe that the production version is going to be nothing as decent, given the trend of manufacturerd. Look at the A-star for starters.
Old 6th March 2009, 16:52   #93
BHPian

If this car shares platform with Indica Vista, it must very well compete with Linea, I just hope Tata makes this car a reality, looks like a very desirable Tata indeed.

Also, where Tata lacks in cars is with respect to engineering, the JV with Fiat might be made beneficial to make this a good car and compete in the International markets. I just can't wait to see this car in the showrooms at the earliest.
Old 6th March 2009, 17:05   #94
Senior - BHPian

Even my son with some training can put together a good design that will look good in the pictures. The key is to put it into production and make something that does not break down regularly.
Old 6th March 2009, 19:00   #95
BANNED

Wow, now this is one amazing tata. I am getting bored with all their sedans here which are ll built on variations of the indica/indigo.

Time for some change now
Old 6th March 2009, 21:36   #96
Senior - BHPian

Any pictures of the interiors?
Old 22nd March 2009, 13:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Very interesting attempt. One can clearly see the 'Jaguar' effect. May be their designers had something to do with it.
Cardesignnews mentins that this one is based on Tata indigo, not sure how true.
New Cars
Old 23rd March 2009, 08:03   #98
Senior - BHPian

Good design but dissapointing grill .

Also, tata must have introduced new logo for this like FIAT has for Ferrari Toyota has for Lexus.

All I see is a car with indicab logo
Old 23rd March 2009, 19:29   #99
BHPian

I've no idea why people are upset with this design. It looks like a sports coupe, with an actual shape, not the amorphous blimps that pass of as cars nowadays. I'm partial to long and low, and this just works for me. I love the grille. It's completely below the bumperline, which makes for a long low bonnet. So what if it has several contemporary design elements? Why should every design 'break the mould'? Different is not always better. Just look at what Chris Bangle did to BMW. This car looks actually looks like a car.

For the people who complain of poor plastic quality in Indicas, they should also note that Indicas cost far less. If this is a luxury car, it would definitely be in a higher price bracket, and hence have better quality, imported plastics. Besides, Tata is already doing better with the Vista. I think that it's amazing for a ten year old company, with no prior experience and no international tie-ups.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

I agree, the Prima is a fantastic looking car and I would rate it higher than a Verna or SX4 or even an Altis for that matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
The pity is that we will NEVER get to see lines (shut or otherwise) this perfect in any of their production vehicles unless they stop building to a price. The other issue is that the market now EXPECTS them to build to a price and deliver at an even lower price. They need a re-positioning and IMHO the only way they an reposition is to take a hit on their margins and build quality into the priceband they are in. Once they have built up a reputation for quality I am sure they can slowly increase their prices to more realistic levels and nobody will actually complain.
This is a tricky one. I think the customer is ready and willing to pay equivalent money for a TATA if they can truly make it desirable. The Safari is a prime example. Its a lifestyle product and people are willing to pay up to 11 lakhs for it notwithstanding the Tata image. Nobody buys a Safari for VFm transportation.
Old 23rd March 2009, 21:42   #101
Senior - BHPian

I agree with MPower on that, If they can build a desirable vehicle people will oversee the lack of 'snob' value in the brand. But what I cant figure is how will Tata position the Prima without taking sales away from the Linea??
As far as looks go there is a lot of nitpicking one can do but if one takes the Linea out of the equation, this concept looks way better than any of the sub 9 lac sedans we have, incl. SX4, Logan, City, Verna etc. So why complain.
Old 24th March 2009, 02:09   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
Good design but dissapointing grill .

Also, tata must have introduced new logo for this like FIAT has for Ferrari Toyota has for Lexus.

All I see is a car with indicab logo
Ferrari or Lexus are not just logos, they are different brands targeting different segment and now TATA has similar brands Jaguar and Landrover .
Old 19th May 2009, 13:48   #103
BHPian

I feel the Prima looks a bit too similar to the current generation Opel Insignia (introduced in Europe circa Sep 08). Views?
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-opelinsignia22.jpg  

Tata Prima - Luxury Sedan-tataprimaatgenevamotorshow2009b.jpg  

Old 19th May 2009, 14:40   #104
Senior - BHPian

It actually does have a lot of similarities,
Heres the strange part, If Tata does need a luxury car a segment or two above the Prima, the Insignia will be a perfect fit. For one the similar looks will make it look like a part of the same family. Also now its pretty evident that GM's European operations (Opel, Vauxhall.. et all) will end up in the hands of Fiat, Mr.Tata could have the Insignia assembled here and slap on a Tata badge (honestly not the best street cred. for a 10+ lac car, but will anyday do better than saying Opel on it).
Yes I know, my imagination's on overtime today!!
Old 19th May 2009, 15:01   #105
Senior - BHPian

Tata Prima definitely looks stellar.If JLR comes thru to Tata,they can even pick up few JLR text books and redo Prima wiht out infringing the patents fo JLR.
Ratan tata Jai ho !!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed