Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2009, 23:05   #16
BHPian

Surely, going anything out of what OEM has prescribed is a prohibition, cause it may directly or indirectly effect the stability of the vehicle hence involve safety for all.
Still every other thing in mundane world is compromised to meet aspirations, and being caught in such a situation is a matter of you wanting to save some " Convenience tax", or trying out you guts to stand hooligans.
With little scope for improvements especially in India, Hope such things would continue happening, finding ourselves standing on one side or the other of the line.
Regards.
Old 5th March 2009, 01:11   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark View Post
Surely, going anything out of what OEM has prescribed is a prohibition, cause it may directly or indirectly effect the stability of the vehicle hence involve safety for all.
Regards.
That is understandable but are the police wale competant enough to assess the effects of wheel changes on stability etc.

Also what if the improvement has actually improved the car in some way. e.g. uprated brakes , swap from tubed to tubeless ? Also what about the official alloys that are sold by mahindra and tata dealers ?

Last edited by bigman : 5th March 2009 at 01:13.
Old 5th March 2009, 11:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
That is understandable but are the police wale competant enough to assess the effects of wheel changes on stability etc...
Forget it! Their sole purpose is to procure some off-hand money and seems this time they have come with an innovative reason.
Old 5th March 2009, 12:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

wow! fined for having radial tyres? Fined for having alloy wheels? What world are we in? The ones who break all kinds of traffic rules and cause accidents and distress to life, they are not even considered to be punishable!
Old 5th March 2009, 12:40   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
wow! fined for having radial tyres? Fined for having alloy wheels? What world are we in? The ones who break all kinds of traffic rules and cause accidents and distress to life, they are not even considered to be punishable!
Hahahaha Welcome to "INDIA" !!!!!
Old 5th March 2009, 15:25   #21
BHPian

Hows the scene in other worlds??
anyone like to share his experience overseas with cops???
Old 5th March 2009, 16:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I guesss it would be difficult to compare what happens in most of the developed world in terms of traffic rules.

Everyone is aware of the do's/don'ts/traffic rules to a great extent and it is followed religiously (there are always exceptions, am not counting that).

Earning a driving license itself is a rigorous excercise. You will be fined even for being on the wrong lane while approaching to take a turn (my personal experience), now howz that? A majority of the cops are civilized unlike what we see in India and they cannot fleece you.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:18   #23

Quote:
Bought a Maruti Gypsy few months back and have been running it on delhi roads without any issues though it host lots of external + internal mods.
Was taken aback this saturday when waiting at a signal in East Delhi, got a knock on the window- to discover it was from a traffic cop with a pillion rider on their bike telling me that the wide tyres don't conform to the vehicle R.C. and qualify for R.C. violation that attracts a fine of Rs 2000.

Well i didn't argued them on the point 'cause I wasn't sure.After being advised to think over it and change them asap I returned home and checked my R.C. - it doesn't mention of tyre size and profile though??

Just need to confirm here at the forum if Putting those heavy after market tyres is actually R.C violation or a bluff played by cops??

pour in your valuable inputs.

Regards
i think his tyres are protruding outside the body ,i think its illegal.
Old 5th March 2009, 18:47   #24
BHPian

Pure invention! They suckered you! There is no provision in the Motor vehicles Act re alloys or tyres. My Baleno had alloys as OE.
As for ARAi issues, do you think the cops have enough "bheja" to study these regulations and make out a case against you? Pshaw!
Old 5th March 2009, 22:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been driving for a good 15 years in the UK and have not been stopped once (touch wood).
Old 6th March 2009, 07:44   #26
BANNED

Registration is done on the basis of ARAI approval for a certain set of specifications. These specifications are provided to the RTO in Form 22, I think.

Technically, any deviation from OEM specification is illegal. The fact that the RC (for private vehicles) doesn't contain tyre size information doesn't make upsizing legal.

There are also rules regarding how much tyres / ORVMs etc. can protrude outside the body.

Please see Department of Road Transport & Highways for more information.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:03   #27
BHPian

As i understand anything coming out of the original body line is illegal. If your tyres are within the tyre arch than no problem. Only thing that the arch should not have been modified.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:16   #28
BHPian

Thats a first, but I guess there are a lot of such ones out there. I was pulled up once On my bike, All my paper work was fine. Finally they ended up writing a challan as the rear lamp cover was broken, but the lamp inside was working, I still got fined for 100Rs. I laughed all the way home that day.
Old 6th March 2009, 10:39   #29
BHPian

Of course they don't study those regulations but if they have not met their daily target they are smart enough to pull you into something you never dreamt off

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Pure invention! They suckered you! There is no provision in the Motor vehicles Act re alloys or tyres. My Baleno had alloys as OE.
As for ARAi issues, do you think the cops have enough "bheja" to study these regulations and make out a case against you? Pshaw!
Old 6th March 2009, 10:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Thats a first, but I guess there are a lot of such ones out there. I was pulled up once On my bike, All my paper work was fine. Finally they ended up writing a challan as the rear lamp cover was broken, but the lamp inside was working, I still got fined for 100Rs. I laughed all the way home that day.
Actually that is a voilation atleast in the US; not sure about Europe. Tail lights have different colors to indicate different intention. How is someone coming up behind you supposed to know if you are turning on braking or reversing if the lamp (cover) is broken. (ofcourse reverse indicator doesn'a apply to a bike). If it's not then this should be voilation in India too.

Most Viewed