Team-BHP - Do After-Market Wide Tyres Void RC???
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Do After-Market Wide Tyres Void RC??? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/54488-do-after-market-wide-tyres-void-rc.html)

Bought a Maruti Gypsy few months back and have been running it on delhi roads without any issues though it host lots of external + internal mods.
Was taken aback this saturday when waiting at a signal in East Delhi, got a knock on the window- to discover it was from a traffic cop with a pillion rider on their bike telling me that the wide tyres don't conform to the vehicle R.C. and qualify for R.C. violation that attracts a fine of Rs 2000:Shockked:.

Well i didn't argued them on the point 'cause I wasn't sure.After being advised to think over it and change them asap I returned home and checked my R.C. - it doesn't mention of tyre size and profile though??

Just need to confirm here at the forum if Putting those heavy after market tyres is actually R.C violation or a bluff played by cops??

pour in your valuable inputs.

Regards

If the wheel/tyre size is not mentioned in the RC book, then it is fine.

I have a doubt whether the tyre sizes are mentioned in the RC. It is not mentioned in mine. Own a Santro and a Pulsar. Not sure if the news vehicles have it mentioned in the RC.

Hearing of such a fine for the first time. Guess it was a bluff played by the cops.

Technically it is illegal since vehicles get ARAI approval with certain specification including the tire size. If you change these parameters you are supposed to get ARAI approval again. I know that the person on this forum who has the Mahindra Major 4x4 in Kerala got fined for having radials on it.

It is one of those things that cops can get you if they want to be a jerk about it.

I think the newer RC books have the vehicle specifications including the tires size.

Traffic cops misbehave with NRI, inquiry on
Ramanjit Singh Sidhu

Chandigarh, January 13
Overzealous Chandigarh Traffic Police personnel went overboard allegedly in a drunken state late last night and misbehaved with a Non-Resident Indian (NRI) and his family near the Sector 40 and 41 intersection. After trying to find a fault on various counts, a constable and his superior, an ASI, finally issued a challan for apparently no fault. On the basis of a complaint at the police headquarters an enquiry has been initiated into the affair.

The NRI was stopped and reprimanded for having alloy wheels in his car. After the NRI refused to accept that there was anything wrong with having alloy wheels, the traffic policemen started questioning him about the antecedents of other occupants of the car. When they were told that the woman in the car was the NRI’s wife, the traffic policemen issued a challan for not wearing seat belt.

Today, Mr Yadwinder Singh, who lives in the USA and is currently on a visit to Chandigarh, lodged a formal complaint against Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Tilak Raj at the police headquarters in Sector 9 here. Mr Dinesh Bhatt, Superintendent of Police (SP) (Operations) after going through the complaint initiated an inquiry into the incident.

Mr Yadwinder Singh alleged in his complaint that he was coming from Sector 9 along with his wife and two female family friends. The policemen stopped their car and the constable on duty asked his wife, who was driving the car, to show her driving licence. When asked the reason, the constable told them to see his senior officer. Mr Yadwinder Singh went to the ASI along with his wife, but the officer talked to them in an abusive manner.

Mr Yadwinder Singh further alleged that the ASI told them that they had alloy wheels in their car, which was a violation. On which they told him that they were not aware about the violation and would change the wheels if they had been warned earlier about it. To which the ASI used abusive language and said it was not Canada or the USA where people were first warned and would teach them a lesson by sending them to jail and impound their car if they argue with him. The policemen went to the extent of humiliating him by asking him to stand properly.

“Following this some people gathered at the spot. They finally issued a challan for not for wearing a seat belt instead of the alloy wheels for which we were stopped initially”, said Mr Yadwinder.

The in-charge of the internal vigilance cell of the UT Traffic Police, Sub-Inspector Jaswinder Kaur, said the inquiry had been marked to her.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

Well for this is a first. I've never heard of someone getting challaned for having alloys or big tyres on his or his vehicle. If it were then alloy's and large tyres should not be on sale.
What I have understanding of is that any alloy wheel or tyre importer can only import wheels and tyres that have gone through homologation and are certified by the Govt. of India.

It's a "first" for me too. There's no mention of wheels and tyres in my car's RC book. New cars have an RC card. There's no mention of wheels and tyres on the card either.
Don't know if they've come up with something new. Remember, there's no mention of exhaust pipes on RC book / cards either. Yet we are stopped.

lol: What if you changed the air valve caps to those with LEDs in them ?

Wait till the Bangalore cops get a wind of this. Another round of collections for Ugadi. :D

As a foreigner I have been harassed by police but particularly Punjab police a number of times. One Punjabi wanted 1500 rupees or he would take me to his precinct office and spend the whole afternoon there while a charge sheet was created. I just waited him out and smiled a lot and pretended that I did not understand him. Mostly, I didn't. A large group of taxi drivers gathered around the officer and took turns telling him to let me go. Eventually he did so, too many witnesses, I think. Thank you, boys. My take on it is you have to stand your ground but not lose your temper. If you call their bluff most of them do not want to elevate it to where there is a written record and a chance for review.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 1198656)
As a foreigner I have been harassed by police but particularly Punjab police a number of times. One Punjabi wanted 1500 rupees or he would take me to his precinct office and spend the whole afternoon there while a charge sheet was created. I just waited him out and smiled a lot and pretended that I did not understand him. Mostly, I didn't. A large group of taxi drivers gathered around the officer and took turns telling him to let me go. Eventually he did so, too many witnesses, I think. Thank you, boys. My take on it is you have to stand your ground but not lose your temper. If you call their bluff most of them do not want to elevate it to where there is a written record and a chance for review.

Hey Dan, What was it about? Why did he want the 1500 rupees for?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregory (Post 1198679)
Hey Dan, What was it about? Why did he want the 1500 rupees for?

Seatbelt, going too slow and having a steel luggage carrier on top of my Spacio (Not allowable equipment for a private vehicle). Judging from his breath, his stock of "Old Monk" needed replenishing also.

You need a quicker vehicle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 1198736)
going too slow

We need cops to fining people on that in Jaipur too. There are many six lane roads here where people drive their damned Wagon-Rs at 40-50km/h.

I didn't know private vehicles weren't allowed roof racks. We have a very petty bureaucracy over here.

Just my two cents - what about those cars that come fitted with alloys like the Accord V6, Scorpio SLX, Safari Dicor VX etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigman (Post 1197984)
Traffic cops misbehave with NRI, inquiry on
Ramanjit Singh Sidhu

Chandigarh, January 13
Overzealous Chandigarh Traffic Police personnel went overboard allegedly in a drunken state

The NRI was stopped and reprimanded for having alloy wheels in his car. After the NRI refused to accept that there was anything wrong with having alloy wheels,

Quote:

Originally Posted by randeep04 (Post 1198438)
Well for this is a first. I've never heard of someone getting challaned for having alloys or big tyres on his or his vehicle. If it were then alloy's and large tyres should not be on sale.
What I have understanding of is that any alloy wheel or tyre importer can only import wheels and tyres that have gone through homologation and are certified by the Govt. of India.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aditya (Post 1198472)
It's a "first" for me too. There's no mention of wheels and tyres in my car's RC book. New cars have an RC card. There's no mention of wheels and tyres on the card either.
Don't know if they've come up with something new. Remember, there's no mention of exhaust pipes on RC book / cards either. Yet we are stopped.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gd1418 (Post 1199354)
Just my two cents - what about those cars that come fitted with alloys like the Accord V6, Scorpio SLX, Safari Dicor VX etc.?

Goes back to my point about ARAI certification. If they are certified with Alloys it is not illegal to use OEM alloys.

Again, I am sure if you looked at the mundane laws in out country, half the thing we do on a daily basis maybe illegal..