Old 10th March 2009, 17:41   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1787 View Post
My preference:-
B segment- Swift vdi
C segment- Verna Crdi
SUV- Safari 2.2

now just imagine having all three in your garage; the most difficult part of the day would be to decide which one to drive.
In C segment, I'll vote for DZire - Fuel efficient, low initial cost and low maintenance cost, though it looks ugly from some angles.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th March 2009 at 17:50.
Old 10th March 2009, 17:47   #32
Senior - BHPian

My Prefrence-

B Segment
Indica Quadrajet

C Segment
Fiesta TDCi and Linea 1.3 MJD

D Segment
Magnum TCDi and Laura 1.9 PD

SUV / MUV
Innova 2.5 D4D
Old 10th March 2009, 22:17   #33
BHPian

Thanks for some thought provoking responses! I must mention my typical diesel driving style in the city before commenting further. Shift really quickly from 1st to 2nd and as quickly as possible from 2nd to 3rd when i'm confident that engine lugging wouldn't happen. 4th gear/5th gear when the road opens up a bit. Must further say, a lot of drivers i've seen do the same in diesels for FE viz. they dont hold on to gears. This leaves 2200 rpm + a little unnecessary in most rush hour drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004;
i find both the scorpios ideal for city traffic with their responsive behaviour, light clutch & good visibility. innova does not respond to throttle movements the way the scorpio does & its visibility is not as good as the scorpio or safari.
Bingo. They are such a pleasure to drive in traffic - real hooligans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknophobia;
Indica Dicor: the quadrajet doesn't have the same response
Wow, I didn't know the DICOR is more responsive than the Quadrajet. Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos;
The magnum is painful for city driving - too much turbo lag and power delivery is really non linear. The controls especially the clutch is really heavy as well. Handling is pretty pathetic as well.
Concur with reign-of-chaos here. Had sky high expectations of the Magnum TCDi - with journos praising it to the skies. Felt really let down when I did the TD on busy roads. The gaps in traffic frustratingly disappear by the time the turbo kicks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect;
Multijet engines suffer from turbo lag in varying degrees, and the Getz / Verna do so even more. Anybody who claims otherwise should drive an Octavia to appreciated the difference.
Bingo. Also applies to people around here say 'the linea is 90bhp, the octy is 90bhp too'..one 5 minute TD is all it takes to settle the debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini;
SUV/MUV - Ideally, the Qualis. But since that is out, I cant seem to find any other SUV/MUV that was as easy to drive as the Qualis.
Ah, I'm glad someone agrees with me on the Qualis.. Its such a grin-inducing machine in the city - what immense, instant torque at 3rd gear crawling speeds! I used to beg/cajole/plead/bribe my cab driver to allow me to drive the Qualis when I was a software engineer in Gurgaon years back.

Interestingly, I think diesel cars which have lesser lag compared to immediate competition seem to sell better, power be damned! Of course, this is a broad sweeping statement - various other factors like cost, A.S.S. etc., but still..... Fiesta D outselling Verna D, Accent 1.5 CRDi outselling Ikon 1.9 D, Qualis was outselling Tavera, Scorpio outselling Safari - the quadrajet story remains to be seen...

Oops, forgot to include Fabia D, looks like there aren't too many fans of its 1.4 PD here..
Old 10th March 2009, 23:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Man i just drove a 1 lac KM ran Fiesta 1.4TDCi. I was unable to make out whether it was a diesel or a petrol. NO LAG or anything. Drives and sounds just like any other petrol car. AMAZING!!!!!

Nothing beats this car in city. Skoda, Swift doesnt even comes close. The turbo lag was 0 NIL.
Old 11th March 2009, 02:16   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Man i just drove a 1 lac KM ran Fiesta 1.4TDCi. I was unable to make out whether it was a diesel or a petrol. NO LAG or anything. Drives and sounds just like any other petrol car. AMAZING!!!!!

Nothing beats this car in city. Skoda, Swift doesnt even comes close. The turbo lag was 0 NIL.
Very very true. Unfortunately there's a price to pay for the lack of turbo lag - this car has absolutely no top end. It fizzles out even before it begins . Tiny turbos which spool quickly can only give that much additional power. Still as a city car, it can't be beaten.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 11th March 2009 at 02:17.
Old 11th March 2009, 11:54   #36
BHPian

Can comment only on B Segment. It has to be the swift DDiS
Old 11th March 2009, 12:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

B Segment - Swift VDi or Getz CRDi
C-Segment - Accent CRDi / Fiesta TCDi.
D-segment - Elantra CRDi

MUV - Innova 2.5 D4D

SUV - Scorpio 2.2 mHAWK - 6 speed automatic
Old 11th March 2009, 12:14   #38
BHPian

For me its

Getz CRDi
Verna CRDi
Magnum TDCi
Captiva TDCi
BMW 3 series D
BMW 5 series D
Old 11th March 2009, 12:15   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
C-Segment - Accent CRDi / Fiesta TCDi.
SUV - Scorpio 2.2 mHAWK - 6 speed automatic
The nomenclature is TDCi which Ford uses, and not TCDi. TCDi is the naming GM uses for their diesels such as the one on the Magnum.

Headers, have you driven around the Scorp AT? How was the vehicle's behaviour in varied driving conditions?
Old 11th March 2009, 13:16   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
The nomenclature is TDCi which Ford uses, and not TCDi. TCDi is the naming GM uses for their diesels such as the one on the Magnum.

, me bad, am sorry.

The scorp AT looks promising..will do a TD soon!
Old 11th March 2009, 15:29   #41

Yes, as most of you who are following this thread, must be eager to know the results right. Find the same.

Swift VDI / Fiesta TDSi / Innova are the clear winner.

B Segment

No of VotesSwift VDi13Indica Quadrajet9C-Segment/D-SegmentFiesta TDCi11Laura 1.9 PD7SUV/ MUVInnova 2.5 D4D11

Source - Gone through the pages and accumulated the result
1st Choice has been taken, 2nd choices are ignored, in each segment

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th March 2009 at 15:35. Reason: Font tags
Old 11th March 2009, 16:23   #42

I am pasting it again, as the essence of the mail get lost. I just used a excel sheet. Will take care henceforth.

Yes, as most of you who are following this thread, must be eager to know the results right. Find the same.

Swift VDI / Fiesta TDSi / Innova are the clear winner.

B Segment No of Votes
Swift VDi 13
Indica Quadrajet 9
C-Segment/D-Segment
Fiesta TDCi 11
Laura 1.9 PD 7
SUV/ MUV
Innova 2.5 D4D 11

Source - Gone through the pages and accumulated the result
1st Choice has been taken, 2nd choices are ignored, in each segment
Old 12th March 2009, 15:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Surprising that the Swift VDI wins in the B segment but the Dzire fails to make the grade in the C segment. Does the boot make such a difference to the drive? After all both these have the same drive train but the Dzire is only 40kg heavier. Which should not make much difference.
Old 12th March 2009, 17:13   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Surprising that the Swift VDI wins in the B segment but the Dzire fails to make the grade in the C segment. Does the boot make such a difference to the drive? After all both these have the same drive train but the Dzire is only 40kg heavier. Which should not make much difference.
Are you planning to buy Dzire. Just go ahead. If Swift VDI can win what is the problem with Palio MJD that I own. The thread was not for *** or their dependability, right? I am very sure, Palio handles road at par with Swift VDI and the engine and its response is just very same.

Swift VDI sells more and hence the perception. Same for Fiesta. Innova is truely a great car.
Old 12th March 2009, 22:55   #45
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Just that there are better cars available in the C-segment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks