Team-BHP - The BEST Diesel for City Driving?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   The BEST Diesel for City Driving? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/54774-best-diesel-city-driving.html)

Assuming 95% of driving in a city, which one would you pick to be the best diesel, segment-wise? No pricing/A.S.S/boot space/other considerations here - just performance on congested roads which doesn't tire the driver. (Highway performance/dynamics not relevant here!)

Not making this a poll. Would love to hear your choices and the rationale here if you've driven some of them!

Looking at the following factors...

1. Minimal turbo lag.
To snatch that small sudden opening in traffic before a pesky Pulsar gets in without having to glance at the tacho! Assuming here that linear acceleration is better suited to a city than a 'on-off' performance. Nice roll on timings - 2nd gear - 15 to 40 ; 3rd gear 30 to 80; 4th gear 60 to 90...

2. Precise, easy to use gearshift.
Assuming tricep building is not on the list of priorities for the driver...

3. Light/Non-heavy clutch.
Again, assuming shapely, strong thighs are better built in a tennis court..

4. Good low speed ride
Moderately sized craters musn't cause that Coke in the cupholder to spill all over..

5. Decent 'flickablity' - handling/turning radius
Lighting quick U-Turns, ensuring you successfully catch that green signal on a relatively empty road in front of you and gracefully take that tight right turn.

6. Good FE
Lesser the turbo lag, greater the FE?

7. Good refinement/NVH.
Yes, there are people who think ICE isn't the solution to down diesel clatter/mask rattles!

8. Light precise steering for easy parking/deft lane changing/U-turns

9. Should seat at least 4 in comfort, 2 in utter comfort.

List: Includes a few out of production/but widely available in the second hand market; include any I may have missed out pls!

B Segment
Getz CRDi
Swift VDi
Indica Dicor
Indica Quadrajet
Palio 1.3 MJD
Palio 1.9 TD

C-Segment/D-Segment
Swift Dzire VDi
Ikon TDCi
Fiesta TDCi
Logan D
Indigo TDi
Indigo Dicor
Verna CRDi
Linea 1.3 MJD
Octavia 1.9 TDi
Laura 1.9 PD
Embera 2.0 CRDi
Elantra 2.0 CRdi
Accent 1.5 CRDi
Lancer Diesel
Magnum TCDi
Amabassador 2.0 Diesel

SUV/ MUV
Scorpio 2.2 MHawk
Scorpio 2.6 CRDe
Scorpio 2.6 TD
Scorpio M2DI
Xylo
Safari 2.2 Dicor
Safari 3.0 Dicor
Innova 2.5 D4D
Tavera
Qualis

My personal choice:

B Segment - Indica Quadrajet
C/D Segment - Octavia 1.9 TDi, Laura followed by Fiesta
SUV/MUV - Scorpio CRDe, Qualis

Quote:

Originally Posted by d_himan (Post 1205499)
My personal choice:
B Segment - Indica Quadrajet
C/D Segment - Octavia 1.9 TDi, Laura followed by Fiesta
SUV/MUV - Scorpio CRDe, Qualis

I would prefer the:

B Segment: Palio MJD
C/D : Fiesta, Linea, Indigo Dicor
SUV: Innova, Scorpio CRDe

I would prefer:

B Segment
Swift VDi

C Segment
Fiesta

D Segment
Laura 1.9 PD

SUV / MUV
Innova 2.5 D4D

You can count on Fabia i guess

Khabrein.info

B Segment
Palio 1.9

C Segment
Verna CRDi / Magnum TCDi

D Segment
Embera 2.0 CRDi (listed in C segment??)

SUV / MUV
Pajero

I would prefer the following cars:
B Segment
Swift Vdi
C Segment
Linea 1.3 MJD
D Segment
Laura 1.9 PD
Muv/Suv
Innova 2.5 D4D

Not sure about other segments, but its easily Swift VDi in B segment.

crn12;vicky5669:

Is the Linea in the C Segment more driveable than Fiesta/Ikon D? I have a totally different opinion after my TD...

loving_aalap:

Palio 1.9 - interesting choice! I've heard about its sweet torque delivery, havent experienced it.

Verna/Magnum? Beg to disagree, good highway cars, both. The Verna was quite painful to drive in the city! all the horses go hiding! The Magnum also didn't feel as eager as a Laura/Scorpio/Skoda 1.9 TDi in sedate city driving...

B Segment

swift would be the perfect choice , MJD is also good but the turning radius is very less , your choice the qudrajet is also pretty decent but the brakes on the car is very bad.

C Segment

Verna CRDi automatic should be fun.

D Segment

Laura 1.9 PD its pretty classy

SUV/MUV

Innova 2.5 D4D would the best choice.

My preferences:
B segment - The Vista. It is comfortable, easy to drive, looks good, can seat 4 in utter comfort, has good FE.
C Segment - The Fiesta. Have driven the fiesta and Octavia Combi back to back when I am in Mumbai and the Fiesta comes out tops in terms of city driveability (I find it difficult to stop myself from flooring the Octavia), FE, visibility. Infact, since most of my running in Mumbai is only in the city, I have my mother reserve the fiesta for me whenever I am in town.
D segment - Laura
SUV/MUV - Ideally, the Qualis. But since that is out, I cant seem to find any other SUV/MUV that was as easy to drive as the Qualis. Innova is too bulky for the city drive, Tavera, to put it nicely, OLD! The Scorpio seemed nice to drive at low speeds, but I am still not to sure, and the Safari is a bit too big.

swift not the obvious choice. side and rear visiblity is not upto the mark. I'd say getz or vista, since both have very good visiblity all around , and the vista's power delivery is more linear, and the getz.... :D .... you have more power than you need!

I would prefer
B-Segment:
Swift DDiS. There are some short comings, but this car is excellent for city. Length is less than the recent longer hatches, the confident handling lets you gun for the gaps, can seat 4 and 2 in utter comfort plus the engine is more than a nice match for the body.

C-segment:
Its not the Swift Dzire, but its Fiesta. Though its overpriced for what it offers, this is a good choise.

D-Segment:
Skoda Laura with that so called PD. The best to use in city, but there are drawbacks in owning one.

MPV:
Innova.

Get yourself a used diesel zen.

B Segment - Swift VDI+ABS
C/D Segment - Optra Magnum
SUV/ MUV - Xylo (This is a sedan killer :-) )

My Choices
B - Segment - Swift VDI
C - Segment - Optra Magnum
D - Segment - Embera Transform CRDi
SUV - Pajero