Team-BHP > Electric Cars

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 00:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does this mean owner has to have a 3-phase power supply at his premises to utilise this. I am not sure if 3-phase power supply is granted for non-industrial purposes.
I believe it can be set up in a residence too.IIRC,we used to have a 3-phase power supply in our previous house.
Old 10th March 2009, 00:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

payload for the car is low.if not ,with two batteries ,will be fun driving this car.
Old 10th March 2009, 00:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishasrani View Post
I saw it near M.G Road ,
well it was following another Reva and both were heading towards lavelle road, where they have a Reva showromom or something (i have heard ).

also this month's autocar features this car !
wow awesome find!
the car looks more muscular with a better defined body.
btw, yes the reva showroom is on lavelle road
Old 10th March 2009, 11:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Does this mean owner has to have a 3-phase power supply at his premises to utilise this. I am not sure if 3-phase power supply is granted for non-industrial purposes.
if you have 3 phase it can be charged fast, its not necessary to have 3 phase power, BTW even my place has 3 phase power.
Old 10th March 2009, 11:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have seen this a number of times on Bommasandra-Jigani link Road. That is where their & my factories are located. Am waiting to catch it without the the camouflage. Should not be long now.
Old 10th March 2009, 12:06   #21
BHPian

Sure, it looks good.
But too pricey for what it offers.
Sid, Do you have the dimensions as well?
Old 10th March 2009, 13:28   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

If only Maini realized what a potential goldmine they were sitting on to free this country's middle-class from OPEC's whims. 5 lakhs for a car with limited utility - irrespective of how long their battery range is, simply wont cut ice here.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think they should drop the 2+2 format and just go for a two seater. As it is no one buys the Reva to ferry four people around, a fully laden (dad, Mom, kids and luggage) Bajaj Chetak would be faster. This is primarily a lifestyle car or for the really eco concious. Dont think a family man looking for a four seater would go for a two door-four seat Reva. As it is nobody with a sane mind would expect people to use the back seats.
  • Just having the two seats would reduce the weight of the car since it can be more compact, improving both acceleration and range. There will even be savings on costs.
  • As it is the payload would only take a max of three adults, may as well carry two and their luggage comfortably rather than struggle with four.
  • Since a majority of the Revas are exported, they would make more sense competing against city cars like the Smart ForTwo.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:10   #24
BHPian

IMO also, the car looks more spacious than older version.

Any body has the information about the prices / date of launch?
Old 10th March 2009, 14:15   #25
BHPian

who would buy a Reva for 5 lacs when they can get a Nano for 1/4th that price? IMO it looks good but priced horribly wrong if it is 5 lacs.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

Looks like a literally hot car.The front looks very European and tail lamps are well clsutered.Nice new avatar.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:37   #27
BHPian

If memory serves me right, Autocar India had featured this in one of their issues.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:42   #28
Senior - BHPian

i have seen the car personally and it promises to be ground breaking from our indian engineering expertise. after all, lithium ion technology is the most expensive technology in the world and even the cars like prius and insight hybrid are using nickel-metal hydride batteries.

once launched, the reva L-ION will be the cheapest lithium ion powered car on earth and instead of criticising the reva in terms of price and comparing it with cars like nano and swift, we should at least praise the company for the steps it is taking to make this technology more affordable, more so than GM which is still struggling to keep the costs of chevrolet volt and opel ampera under 40,000 us dollers despite the potential 7000 us dollers tax credit that it will enjoy.

don't judge this car by th virtue of price, look at the technology and engineering that goes into development of this car.
yes it is true that in india it will sell in miniscule numbers but in scandenavian countries demand for mass produced l-ion powered electric cars will be high and that's from where reva's profits will come but kudos to RECC for considering India as its important market and its commitment to keep our environment clean and pollution free.
Old 10th March 2009, 14:46   #29
BHPian

I really wish they could do something about the prices, but seems impossible since it is unlikely the Reva will sell enough to achieve economies of scale. I was seriously considering buying one, but a lot of calculations later it comes down to the simple fact: A battery operated car with whatever range will continue to remain limited by the range. This can never be a dream first car, simply because weekend trips are out of the question.
It is still a steal for under 5 lacs, considering the technology and efficiency. But a formidable competitor is shaping up in the electric Indica. The Mainis simply won't have the scale or the technology to match up to the Tatas. But they get all the credit for pioneering electric cars at a time when nobody gave a damn.
I hope to switch to an electric, or a micro hybrid in the next 2-3 years. Let me end by urging all of you looking for a second car in the family to look no further than a Reva.
Old 10th March 2009, 15:14   #30
Senior - BHPian

They should sell it in the range 2-2.5 to get some good volume and also to attract buyers . Govt should also give discounts on it and make sure its priced right . I hate to see tons of co2 emitted daily into atmosphere .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed