Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 22:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The Indian mentality still thinks battery cars are toys.
Wait till the range increases to 500-600 KM for a single charge in the not so distant future. Electric cars will mean serious business then.
As of now at first 60 KMPC, 80 KMPC(reva i), 150 KPMC is all toy business
Old 31st March 2009, 22:10   #47
BHPian

800 KM is a minimum necessity for a electric car to cut the main stream.

A 150 km on the new Reva is decent but as some one pointed out Kudos to RECC in bringing Li-ion technology for sub 10L price tag even for India where Li-ion is practically not available. Like in US none of the big manufacturers here are seeing space in this segment, lucky for them none of us want an electric.

Also would like to point out
  • Li-Ion unlike the Lead acid ones will last for 1500 cycles where the Lead acids last less than 500Cycles
  • Li-ion cells are really good at handling top-ups
  • Most Li-ion battery packs can handle currents up 10C Compared to 2C of lead acid types. This means a lot more bigger motor can be fitted on to the Reva depending on the battery pack design.
  • This also means regenerative breaking will become much more serious and efficient.

The biggest concern with Li-ion is its safety under heavy usage but a good battery construction technique should solve the problem.

Any Idea where the Battery pack is sourced from or any specification of the battery pack.

Good to see that every year we are now seeing an increase in range of the Reva. Who knows next year we might see a 200 KM version and soon a 400kM one.
Old 1st April 2009, 22:43   #48

No matter what people might say, Reva is still very expensive to buy for a common man. Its a good option for someone who already has a Petrol/diesel car and just uses his reva to visit the mall/office. Ofcourse if you are visiting the mall you better ask your wife to get the kids and grandparents in the other car.

Jokes apart, the new Reva looks promising. Both in terms of passanger carrying and range ( Li-Ion batteries). Any idea what batteries are there in this new Reva Car.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:50   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
Probably OT, but would like to make a point here. Toyota and others might be using NiMH batteries for a very good reason. Lithium Ion batteries are not known to handle extreme temperature conditions well and a small manufacturing defect could be catastrophic (remember Nokia and Dell battery recalls). I would be very concerned about such a product coming close to me, forget the thought of sitting in one.

[FONT=Arial]I agree with the post that li-ions are dangerous, but what the R&D of companies like toyota are doing. you should look at tesla roadster. a group of normal engineers started a new car company in US to make first electric race car.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]it uses li-ions and is the safest one. the technology they are using to make these battery system safe is very simple. i personally think Toyota prius is not a big achievement than reva when companies are compared. People in Europe find Reva as the cheapest and reliable electric car. for company like RECC gaining confidence in European market is a major achievement. We Indians can only be consumers of patented products but can never produce products which can be patented just because we want the every new product to be as cheap as it was invented ages ago.[/FONT]
Old 17th May 2009, 23:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

i wouldn't mind driving a tesla and the look on few supercar owners when something that runs on battery's beats em.
although range with all electric cars are a major problem+2 much charging time while you can fill fuel in 2 mins and get on with your trip.
Old 18th May 2009, 00:01   #51
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Nice looking Reva. Looks a lot like the SMART.
Agree with everybody about the pricing of this car.
I have heard that there is a huge subsidy that US govt pays for hybrid cars.
Wonder why there is no subsidy provided by our govt for these cars.
Old 18th May 2009, 09:47   #52
BANNED

It is indeed looking good. However only problem is high cost considering "Economy of Scale" is not being achieved.
Old 1st July 2009, 23:37   #53
BHPian

Is this the new Reva or the modified one....looks are similar to small amby.

Is this the convertible one.
Attached Thumbnails
pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-sp_a0265.jpg  

pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-sp_a0266.jpg  

pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-sp_a0267.jpg  

pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-sp_a0268.jpg  

Last edited by kdeepakk : 1st July 2009 at 23:42.
Old 2nd July 2009, 07:59   #54
BHPian

Thats the convertible version of the Reva. Read further here
REVA Electric Car Company - Makers of the REVA electric car, electric vehicle
Old 2nd July 2009, 08:41   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Is this the new Reva or the modified one....looks are similar to small amby.

Is this the convertible one.
its fugly. why that ugly roof? why? i hope it doesn't belong to Reva athough the TC number suggests so.
Old 2nd July 2009, 09:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

The roof and the rear glass looks as if its the smaller version of Ambassador.
Old 13th July 2009, 10:13   #57
BHPian

SPOTTED Reva: testing mule for newer version

Last Friday I saw a car parked on the Hosur road just after E-City, initially I thought it might the Chevy Beat, It was a bit dark without any street lamps and hence asked the person who was sitting inside the car, he said it is the new Reva and is currently being tested.

It was a Red car with almost 80 - 90% size of the spark, 2 door but certainly much bigger than the current Reva and was looking like a "car" unlike current Reva which looks very puny. It had black stripes for disguise and the console is all digital with blue lit background and was looking stunning. Speedo, battery and other indicators are all digital and was looking very nice.

Since it was late in the night and me without any camera was unable to take any pics. Sorry about that.

I dont have much information on that but on the first look it certainly was a giant leap by Reva. Hope it has good mileage (per charge) and better battery management and a right price.

Last edited by Jaggu : 13th July 2009 at 10:30. Reason: Please search before opening a new thread. Thanks
Old 26th May 2010, 07:47   #58
BHPian

Spotted New REVA Car on Hosur Road

Last night while returning from office at 7:00 PM, spotted a REVA, it looked to me like NXG (with roof still in tact) but Iam not sure, signal turned green and I had to take right at Kudlu gate and hence missed to capture few more better snaps. Will it be available in India?

Car looked pretty good in the green shade, if priced appropriately I guess it would hit the market good.

Excuse for the poor picture quality, it just happened very fast
Attached Thumbnails
pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-img_0212.jpg  

Old 26th May 2010, 08:37   #59
BHPian

Mahindra close to buying out Reva

Mahindra close to buying out Reva - India Business - Biz - The Times of India
Old 26th May 2010, 09:31   #60
BHPian

Reva

This is the one which has been spotted yesterday by me, a better quality pic from internet.
Attached Thumbnails
pics : New Reva spotted in B'lore !-reva.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks