Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2013, 11:32   #1531
BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 5 Yea

Hi Harish

This is really an eye-opener. i just chanced upon this thread today. i admire your perseverance. i don't have words to say. it must have been hell. more than anything i think the feeling of being wronged is something which is so difficult to get to terms with.

like many others in this community i too am a great fan of skoda cars, infact last year I almost bought the rapid, booked too, but for a last minute change of heart hearing 2 first hand horror stories from 2 friends, one who bought a laura and the second a fabia. So probably skoda has improved but i am still not sure how much. Having said that let me also admit that I am anxiously looking forward to the Mk3 octavia. It is really pulling at my heart strings but my mind is saying no. After reading this my mind has probably gaining the upper hand

After the experience i have seen that you have decided to play it safe with the Altis. i truly admire the reliability and hassle free experience of Japanese cars. Nothing like Japanese cars for peace of mind.

Wish you all the very best, i am sure you will not only get your money but the interest and also some compensation (although from what i have noticed consumer courts are quite tight fisted as far as compensation is concerned)

BTW what about the class action suit. did you make any headway on this. i know this are quite common in the US but haven't heard much about this in india

i will be following this thread. once again good luck
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 14:19   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 5 Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Also, I wish to file a class action suit against Skoda in India. For that I need similarly affected people. At least ten of them. We can teach Skoda a lesson. - the common car owner in india is not to be taken for a ride. I am waiting for people to come forward and fight with me. So far I have been fighting single handedly. I would like to appeal to all team bhp members similarly affected to come forward.
Harish did you manage to get the desired quorum of customers for a class action suit?
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:20   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
BTW what about the class action suit. did you make any headway on this. i know this are quite common in the US but haven't heard much about this in india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Harish did you manage to get the desired quorum of customers for a class action suit?
We had a few people willing to go ahead. However, I did have enough on one outing with our judicial system and opted against it. Also, the status of the class action suit litigants of one of the most severe tragedies ( the Bhopal gas disaster ) deterred me from any further judicial adventures.
harishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 22:57   #1534
BHPian

Well as far as I know it can be a public interest litigation in our courts (Indian and British Judicial systems) A class action lawsuit is limited to US & US style judicial systems.

A PIL can be filed by anyone, you needn't need a minimum number (more than one) to apply for a PIL.
Old 23rd May 2013, 01:15   #1535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Well as far as I know it can be a public interest litigation in our courts (Indian and British Judicial systems) A class action lawsuit is limited to US & US style judicial systems.

A PIL can be filed by anyone, you needn't need a minimum number (more than one) to apply for a PIL.
But for PIL you will need to prove how is the public at large affected which, I think, would become a herculean task in this case.
Old 23rd May 2013, 08:56   #1536
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque18 View Post
But for PIL you will need to prove how is the public at large affected which, I think, would become a herculean task in this case.
Also, you risk losing focus of the main issue.
Old 23rd May 2013, 11:24   #1537
BHPian

Harishv, I've been following this thread for some months now, and you can count my family among the many others who have vowed to stay away from Skoda after reading your experience. Within a few years of them being in India, when the initial lot of Octavia horror stories were coming to light and their expensive spares, I was wary of the company's business practices but this incident sealed the deal for the company as far as I'd ever think of buying a Skoda.

What your resilience has done, along with showing Skoda and their dealers that they can't practice high-handed tactics in India as you had pointed out, is caused a commercial hit to them as well. In absolute terms it may be looked at as very small, say about several dozen bhp-ians staying away from Skoda as a token gesture for the terrible experience you had, but if one vehicle owner can dissuade several dozens, imagine the other people with horror stories dissuading potential customers in their own spheres. Even if I couldn't care less about Skoda's fate in India, I'm glad that other manufacturers who are watching this space and seeing the terrible brand perception that the company A.S.S. has are more on their guard NOT to make the same mistakes Skoda did and make Skoda an example of a terribly managed foreign manufacturer in India. Seeing how dealerships and the main company are run by people of the same family is a scary nexus that Skoda owners have to go up against.
Motored Mindset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2013, 12:57   #1538
Senior - BHPian

Many , many Happy returns of the day, harishv !

I really admire your perseverance in this case...hope this gets resolved to your favour soon.
Blue Thunder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 14:55   #1539
BHPian

Got a call from CNBC Awaaz. They wanted Team Bhpians and me to watch and express our views on their telecast.

Pehredaar, CNBC Awaaz.
Sat: 3:30PM, 8:00PM
Sun: 1:30PM, 7:30PM.
harishv is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 15:00   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Are they covering your story Harish or is it a general feature on how Automakers take customers for a ride. Did you approach them with your issue.
Old 12th June 2013, 15:08   #1541
BHPian

I did not approach them. Am not sure about the content.
harishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 15:13   #1542
BHPian

I really hope they cover your issue Harish sir, this czech automaker's indian op's attitude has gotta go. Its the customer's way or the highway for these unscrupulous people. Justice shall be yours.
Hope this knocks some sense into the thick skulls of other automobile manufacturers trying to pull similar stunts on innocent people.
Old 15th June 2013, 16:07   #1543
BHPian

These are some of the recent episodes of CNBC awaaz pehredar.
Both the episodes highlight the indifferent attitude of Skoda towards it's customers.

Episode 94:

Episode 106:
ksaurabh21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2013, 20:02   #1544
BHPian

Cant view these vids in Canada. Can you change settings ?

thanks
Old 16th June 2013, 14:10   #1545
Distinguished - BHPian

Missed the telecast on Saturday, but just caught up with the repeat telecast. The episode was 'dedicated' to the long list of dismayed Skoda India car owners. The episode highlighted at least 3 cases. I think Harish's case may not have been discussed as it is 'sub-judiced'. However, I wish that Skoda starts caring just a little for its customers, else we should make sure that they wrap and leave asap. A company that sells expensive cars (or any other co. for that matter) which cares a damn about its customers does not have any right to operate. I wonder they aren't even ashamed of this fact. Time is not far when Skoda will become what it was perceived before being taken over by VW- A Joke.
The channel has taken a strong stance against the co. and has vowed not to keep silent until Skoda wakes from its slumber. That's probably the last hope that we can keep with our spineless system and ultra-slow judiciary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks