Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2014, 23:14   #1876
BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Congrats Harish, a battle well fought.

Somehow I had a feeling that Skoda might solve your case after reading the Skoda India Head's interview with ACI in its August Edition. In fact I was thinking why the ACI editor didnt ask about the ongoing customer cases to him, he should have as he asked a lot about bad customer service of Skoda India.

Nevertheless, I still say a big NO for skoda for all the friends who ask me an opinion.
RakishRam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:36   #1877
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I am a bit sad for the country that yet again a case has to be settled outside the judiciary, because it seemed/is inefficient! Ain't this, what gives people/companies, like Skoda, the courage to play with consumers in the first instance. I expected the court to bring Skoda on its knees; yes for this goondaism, they deserved it and quickly

I get what you are saying but settlements are part of the justice system and do help in general by reducing the load on courts. In fact the US follows a system of plea bargaining (in criminal cases) which is not available in India where prosecutors offer a lower sentence in exchange for a guilty plea on a lesser charge. The judge then just signs off on it to ensure there is no miscariiage of justice. Much needed in India where cases drag on for years with those accused rotting in jail, often wrongly.

In this case Skoda was wilfully dragging the case out and while nothing can justify a simple case like this taking so long to resolve, Harish shouldn't be denied of the satisfaction at his victory just because he "settled". Important to note that HE thinks the settlement is fair, and that IMHO is all that matters!

Last edited by noopster : 24th August 2014 at 08:38.
noopster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 08:59   #1878
J.Ravi

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 6 Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Just to let you know that I reached a fair and satisfactory settlement with Skoda Auto India today.
At last, the horror movie has ended as a comedy. Congratulations and best wishes, harishv, for having undergone mental agony and physical torture for many years. Now, it's time to relaxe.
  (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 12:09   #1879
BHPian

Great that HARISH got the justice and case has come to the closure. He deserves a lot of appreciation for the perseverance he showed in getting the justice. There is no way SKODA could have compensated the real loss of time, energy, stress etc, by HARISH which is unfortunately can not be calculated in any calculator ever invented. If HARISH has agreed for some materialistic offers, it is just because he did not want to undergo any further loss of the same. Not for compensating the loss that he has already undergone. He could have demanded a public statement by SKODA at least in this forum as to why they delayed and why they are settling now as a part of his settlement deal.

Though the details of the settlement can not be shared, if he wishes, HARISH can share the process of the same. May be he can ask permission from SKODA itself to get that shared in the forum for the purpose of creating genuine goodwill and as a token of appreciation of support of the members who stood by him. If SKODA refuses, that also can be shared, to know the true colours of SKODA and now coveted Mr. Rao. Kebabs can not compensate that, IMHO.

This thread should definitely have been the catalyst for the settlement, as otherwise GTO would not have been called upon by SKODA. Therefore members who contributed in this thread should be, at the least respected and not just informed.

Sorry HARISH for having a slight difference of opinion. Hope you appreciate it. I want you not to leave forum members feeling "used" due to the lack of explanation of how the "closure" took place. This is exactly happened in case of Arvind Kejriwal's AAP experiment at Delhi.
Old 24th August 2014, 15:53   #1880
BANNED

@srameshdelhi; It is very likely that harishv is constrained by the terms of the settlement, so cannot reveal all.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:14   #1881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srameshdelhi View Post
Great that HARISH got the justice and case has come to the closure. He deserves a lot of appreciation for the perseverance he showed in getting the justice. There is no way SKODA could have compensated the real loss of time, energy, stress etc, by HARISH which is unfortunately can not be calculated in any calculator ever invented. If HARISH has agreed for some materialistic offers, it is just because he did not want to undergo any further loss of the same. Not for compensating the loss that he has already undergone. He could have demanded a public statement by SKODA at least in this forum as to why they delayed and why they are settling now as a part of his settlement deal.

Though the details of the settlement can not be shared, if he wishes, HARISH can share the process of the same. May be he can ask permission from SKODA itself to get that shared in the forum for the purpose of creating genuine goodwill and as a token of appreciation of support of the members who stood by him. If SKODA refuses, that also can be shared, to know the true colours of SKODA and now coveted Mr. Rao. Kebabs can not compensate that, IMHO.

This thread should definitely have been the catalyst for the settlement, as otherwise GTO would not have been called upon by SKODA. Therefore members who contributed in this thread should be, at the least respected and not just informed.

Sorry HARISH for having a slight difference of opinion. Hope you appreciate it. I want you not to leave forum members feeling "used" due to the lack of explanation of how the "closure" took place. This is exactly happened in case of Arvind Kejriwal's AAP experiment at Delhi.

It's most likely that the compensation is accompanied by a very strict non disclosure as you have recognised by suggesting he seek their consent. That consent is impossible. Non disclosure is probably one of the only things they would have asked in return other than withdrawing all litigation.

He could have demanded many things ... fact is a settlement is what one person is willing to offer and the other willing to accept.

What you're seeking is unrealistic and going by all the responses I don't think the community is feeling used, only pleased that his long ordeal has ended.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 16:29   #1882
BHPian

Quote:
That was unnecessary insinuation. Nobody was "used" here. And nobody in this forum contributed to the settlement other than those mentioned by Harish in his post. Armchair activists can't take credit for it. As I said in my earlier post, we definitely are missing some pleasure by not getting to see the finer details, but we can't claim that we deserve to get it.

Non-disclosure clauses are included in the agreements so that details do not get to the public world, since it could be used by future litigants. No company would want to take that risk. Settlement agreements usually do not admit guilt or liability, because they fear that it could come back to haunt the company later.

Moreover this is not a victory for which Harish has to share the spoils with the world. A settlement is a mutual agreement where the parties agree to a middle path. There are no real victors and losers in a settlement. There is a reason why the thread title changed from "Skoda settles case" to "Case settled".

So stop looking for pleasure from where it is not available.

Last edited by blacksport : 24th August 2014 at 16:34.
blacksport is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th August 2014, 17:17   #1883
BHPian

Please allow others to have their own opinion. I am not insuniatiing. Just having a slightly different opinion, though ok if it not tallying with you as well as anyone else.

Hope nothing is wrong. This forum is only to share different opinions. Isn't it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@srameshdelhi; It is very likely that harishv is constrained by the terms of the settlement, so cannot reveal all.
Possible and I appreciate it.

Mod Note: Please do not post back-to-back; if posting within 20 minutes, use Edit button instead.

Last edited by noopster : 24th August 2014 at 19:02.
srameshdelhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 14:22   #1884
BHPian

Quote:
Kebabs can not compensate that, IMHO.
I agree. However, it would be a reason to meet up. In any case we have to take a raincheck on that. GTO is out of town for the week. I suggest we wait for him to return and then catch up. Silverwood, Axe I hope you don't mind.

Quote:
for having a slight difference of opinion. Hope you appreciate it. I want you not to leave forum members feeling "used" due to the lack of explanation of how the "closure" took place.
I do apprecaite it. I apologise for not being able to give a clear picture. Wish I could.
harishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 15:29   #1885
BHPian

Congratulation Harish. Your perseverance and persistence has paid off. I feel proud to be part of a forum where people go out of their way to help each other.
bigwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2014, 16:19   #1886
Senior - BHPian

I'm so happy that your ordeal has ended Harishv, but also disgusted that you had to settle after fighting a battle for 6 years. Can't blame you, since I, like most other Indians, would never have the energy to fight a legal case in India, and these companies know that, and exploit that.

To all the folks who are praising Skoda for this settlement, my 2 cents:
Skoda settled this because they knew this was a losing proposition for them. If they lost the court case, they lost their reputation and faced financial penalties at the very least. Even if they won the case, they still lost their reputation and sales due to this thread on Team Bhp. If they are serious about making amends, let them make a public statement about their mistake and apologize publicly. This settlement in no way prevents Skoda from speaking on their errors of omission and commission in this matter.

You settled because you were tired of the fight and they did offer you a satisfactory solution.

But will I have the stomach for a long drawn legal battle if I chose to buy a Skoda and get into a similar mess? No!!!

So I will still avoid Skoda, untill I see them treating their customers fairly, including the ones who do not pursue a legal case for 6 years.

This case, the sordid events in these past 6 years, the dates for the next hearings, corrupt judges, missing files, all point to the need for a total overhaul of the Indian legal system.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 08:59   #1887
Senior - BHPian

@HarishV, cant say this enough, but well fought! Kudos to GTO and others who have supported you throughout. Fighting a court case is not an easy task, especially when you have an industrial giant on the other side. 6 years is a very long time and this thread is a testimony to the mockery of the Indian judicial system. Hope you have really been compensated fairly.

Congratulations once again And as everyone is asking, any plans to replace the aging Corolla?

Last edited by _raVan_ : 26th August 2014 at 09:01.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:01   #1888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

And as everyone is asking, any plans to replace the aging Corolla?
No way. 1,30,000 kms and still a rock star. Will replace the aging Esteem after six months.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:10   #1889
Senior - BHPian

Mixed emotions here. Of course I am glad for Harish that this chapter is closed for him.

But on the other hand I wonder how this settlement impacts the few others who have been following this thread and the story. For me, the settlement does nothing to enhance the image of Skoda or the judiciary system. The judiciary system could have used this opportunity to set an example for the industry. But no one is accountable so everyone keeps looking at others for initiating the change. There was no way that Skoda could have anyway salvaged anything as they dug quite a deep grave with previous actions.

Nevertheless, I am glad for you Harish that you can now resume life as it should have been
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2014, 10:12   #1890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I get what you are saying but settlements are part of the justice system and do help in general by reducing the load on courts. In fact the US follows a system of plea bargaining (in criminal cases) which is not available in India where prosecutors offer a lower sentence in exchange for a guilty plea on a lesser charge. The judge then just signs off on it to ensure there is no miscariiage of justice. Much needed in India where cases drag on for years with those accused rotting in jail, often wrongly.

In this case Skoda was wilfully dragging the case out and while nothing can justify a simple case like this taking so long to resolve, Harish shouldn't be denied of the satisfaction at his victory just because he "settled". Important to note that HE thinks the settlement is fair, and that IMHO is all that matters!
Plea bargaining happens before the case begins. Not when its been going on for so many years. But out of court settlements happen everywhere but not for criminal and some cases.

Still for a case where the facts are clear, its shameful that it takes so many years for our system to not take it to the logical end. Lot of time was wasted both in the system and for others. Disgusting.

Last edited by srishiva : 26th August 2014 at 10:13.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed