Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2013, 10:07   #1471
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 5 Yea

Where is the car actually?
Do you inspect it regularly?

What's the next date?

All the best.
Old 1st March 2013, 10:07   #1472
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court = Car not returned in 5 Yea

That is why only way to make such brands feel the heat is to actively boycott their products. This has been my standard response to any one contemplating SKODA purchase.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 10:58   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Where is the car actually?
Do you inspect it regularly?
What's the next date?
All the best.
Car was at JMD. I am not sure though. I havent seen it since I went to court.
The next date is on the 22nd of April.

Thanx for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
That is why only way to make such brands feel the heat is to actively boycott their products. This has been my standard response to any one contemplating SKODA purchase.
Correct. What hurts them is bad publicity and bad publicity only. This thread is creating more damage than my court case. I receive at least two calls per month from aggrieved Skoda users. I am working on non judicial options. I will keep them spending on damage control, advertisements and 5 year free Fabia schemes.

Thanx for the support.

Last edited by harishv : 1st March 2013 at 11:00.
harishv is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 11:08   #1474
BHPian

Dear Harish:

Agree 1000% on the damages they have created to themselves and they way it is spilling over to VW as well. Makes me wonder about their approach of doing business - i.e. engage in a lose-lose proposition.

In any case Skoda is making losses continuously (from what I read in the MCA filings). They are letting out their plant to other VW brands and making money by cross charging, but really the brand is no where IMHO, save the Superb and to an extent the Laura.

My deepest desire is to see you rightfully compensated monetarily or otherwise and I know how it feels because I had a close brush, but luckily survived - and I owe a debt of gratitude to T-BHPians to this day.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 1st March 2013 at 11:14.
Old 1st March 2013, 11:24   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
Dear Harish:

....and I owe a debt of gratitude to T-BHPians to this day.

Cheers,
Plus 1 to that. The greatest thing that I became part of, in this entire stupid Skoda episode.

Cheers and thanx buddy. Owe you a Mumbai dinner. Waiting.
harishv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 15:59   #1476
BHPian

Harishv, from my limited knowledge of Indian laws, even if the Consumer Court gives a judgement in your favour, Skoda can ignore it and not pay any damages. Then the only course left to enforce the judgement of the Consumer Court, is to go to a Civil Court. Which with backlog of cases can take 10 years. No doubt, finally Skoda will have to pay the damages + interest (if the Consumer court's judgement is so), but will such a delayed victory be worth it?
I am not writing this to demoralize you, fully understand your stand. Just offering a point to ponder upon.
Old 1st March 2013, 16:12   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomi View Post
Harishv, from my limited knowledge of Indian laws, even if the Consumer Court gives a judgement in your favour, Skoda can ignore it and not pay any damages. Then the only course left to enforce the judgement of the Consumer Court, is to go to a Civil Court. Which with backlog of cases can take 10 years. No doubt, finally Skoda will have to pay the damages + interest (if the Consumer court's judgement is so), but will such a delayed victory be worth it?
I am not writing this to demoralize you, fully understand your stand. Just offering a point to ponder upon.

pity, the state of affairs in our great country
IMO justice delayed is justice denied
Old 1st March 2013, 17:02   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
What you are saying is quite practical Bomi - and I thought of it as well. I thought I had nothing to lose in persuading Harish to fight to the finish; whereas he had much higher stakes - in terms of stress and money.

But then I also feel there comes a time and situation in each of our lives when it just comes down to the principle and not the money / stress. We feel enough is enough and it doesn't matter where it goes but the principle needs to be taken to its logical end - philosophically that's how society progresses, around some pivotal incidents. Like the Dec 16 Delhi rape incident for instance. She did more for society than so many who took the practical way out. I am not making out Harish as a martyr, but as I also get along with life, I realize taking the practical way out at all times is detrimental to those who can't in society. When Skoda's dealer forged my signature ( just over 5 years ago) to palm off my fully paid car as new - when it was old and likely damaged and likely with connivance of Skoda, I just told myself that I am willing to write-off the whole amount than to accept it, even if at a terrific discount. I can't explain why I felt what I did but I just couldn't think of any practical way out.

I was lucky though as my ordeal ended when police brought things to an orderly end without seeking any favor from me (not that I would have obliged). Their then GM was sacked (you needed a scapegoat right!) and he was in near tears when he later spoke with me. I am now told by a friend owning a Yeti from them, that they are more meticulous than he expected - odds are, this incident had an effect on them.

In any case I feel Harish is doing a favor to society through his actions; and I am not sure of his pay-offs. But I am glad that he is doing what he is and sad that our systems function as horribly as they do.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 1st March 2013 at 17:28. Reason: Added another point I wanted to make
diffsoft is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st March 2013, 17:21   #1479
BHPian

Quote:
They cannot ignore the forum's decision, whenever it happens. An arrest warrant can be issued in the concerned person's name. But they can always challenge it and push the case for years.
Old 2nd March 2013, 10:13   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Correct. What hurts them is bad publicity and bad publicity only. This thread is creating more damage than my court case. I receive at least two calls per month from aggrieved Skoda users. I am working on non judicial options. I will keep them spending on damage control, advertisements and 5 year free Fabia schemes.

Thanx for the support.

Oh for sure! believe me over past 2 years I have discourage atleast 20 people from buying a Skoda or a VW. I myself bought the accord instead of superb no matter how many gadgets they were offering and I am damn happy at 20k kms.

Now for the math 20 cars at say 10 lac average cost. That would be 2 cr of just sales and after sales revenue extra. Thats just me as one of the members on forum imagine how many have done this and still doing this. You thread is hitting them where it hurts and why not?
tazmaan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 17:19   #1481
BHPian

Harishv, Many thanks for this thread.

A sales team from the local Skoda Dealer had dropped in to my office with their sales pitch. Listened to them, then told them how bad their ASS is, and what others are going through. They of course said it can't be true. Then made them read the first page of this thread, they had no answers for why the parent company can take this issue lightly.
Hopefully they report back saying that the sales are suffering because of such incidents and you get your long overdue justice.
slicvic is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2013, 18:09   #1482
BHPian

Just as we speak, another horror story. This time from the VW stable.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-twice.html

Wonder how long will these things continue. One thing is for sure is, Skoda and VW image is definitely taking a beating for good.
racer_ash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 10:08   #1483
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
It is the same stable - VW owns Shhkoda.
Old 8th March 2013, 10:38   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...car-twice.html

Wonder how long will these things continue. One thing is for sure is, Skoda and VW image is definitely taking a beating for good.
Unless we have tough laws for consumer protection and fast track courts for serious cases or cases involving substantial purchases (maybe > 5lacs), we will keep seeing such incidents.

I'm not saying manufacturers can totally stop doling out lemons altogether. They don't do so on purpose for sure! But at least they won't hide behind a court case and escape responsibility. Also, if the court cases reach a judgement within reasonable time frames (Harish's case makes me go ), i'm sure manufacturers will not wait for the consumer to lodge cases against them to fix the car.

What people like Harish are doing is forcing a change in attitude at the dealer and the company level. If more and more consumers press charges, there is bound to be a lot of attention given to this issue some day. I see that already happening. If forums like ours can reach so many people and help them make sound judgement cause people can read about struggles posted by members, we already are on to the path of changing mindsets.
Its amazing to see how much strength one member draws from reading about another members struggle and fight to finish. And then decides that it actually is worth fighting it out in his case too. That he can take on the muscle of a manufacturer!
Old 8th March 2013, 13:31   #1485
Mik
BHPian

Time and again i chance upon this thread and i wish for some sort of closure in this episode. But, justice is a drag in India.
Meanwhile, I keep dissuading any prospective car buyer from thinking about Skoda products and am sure the word of mouth has its effect. 3 known cases atleast. Even my colleague with zilch knowledge of cars said "skoda dhaandle baazi karti hai - isn't it"

Even i love the Yeti for what it offers - but - NEVER!

Most Viewed