Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2009, 23:15   #1
BHPian

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!

Dear Kapil.

I am fighting with Skoda for the last one year now. You may be aware their dealer in mumbai, Nummer Eins had replaced spurious parts in my car to the tune of around 4 lakhs. They had even stolen the 3rd injector and the steering rack and substituted them with fakes. They did not spare the battery either.

I took the matter up with skoda. You might find it hard to believe but customer care head Karthik Ramesh is hand in glove with the dealers. God knows what kind of kick back arrangement he has with them but i can assure you he is the recipient of this fraud committed by Skoda dealers.

I followed up with
Andreas Prinz, MD, Volkswagen India
Jorg Mueller, President, Volkswagen India
Eva Dradkova, Consul General, Czech Republic, Mumbai
Reinhard Jung, Chairman, Skoda Auto, Czech Republic
Karsten Bugon, MD, Skoda Auto India
Adam Pavel, Customer Care, Skoda Czech Republic
Walter Stechel, Consul General, German Consulate, Mumbai
Bernhard Steinrucke, Director General, Indo German Chamber of Commerce

I got few encouraging replies from some of them. Andreas Prinz in fact followed it up personally with Bugon. Unfortunately these Germans are not aware of the mischief played by Skoda, Indian executives.

Skoda india have no care and regard for the Indian consumer. They treat them with utter disdain. i visited Aurangabad and insisted on meeting Bugon. I was stopped at the gates and not allowed to do so. However this visit galvanised customer care head Karthik Ramesh to hush up the matter. He diverted my car to JMD Auto and sent one of their engineers to inspect my claim. One of the most honest guys in Skoda, Mr. Ramakrishna Surabhi inspected my car at JMD Auto and confirmed all my allegations.

I am in possession of their internal vehicle inspection report submitted by Surabhi. I got this with great difficulty and maneuvering.

Skoda replaced all the faulty parts in my car with originals. They then tried to pull a fast one on me. They wanted me to give them an undertaking as a precondition for delivering my car with rectified original parts. The undertaking mentioned that these spurious parts were not put by their dealer.

I refused to do so and Skoda asked me to pay for the repairs and take delivery of the car.

Also, the night after the parts were replaced, Skoda official Yogesh Vaidya, tried to smuggle out the spurious parts removed from my car out of jmd showroom after it was shut and i had gone back home. Some one known to me at jmd called me up and informed me. I rushed to jmd to see the parts just about being loaded in a car. Guess whose car? Nummer Eins car. Can u imagine? The fake parts were being taken back to Nummer Eins under instructions of Karthik Ramesh. Car enthusiasts at team bhp - draw your own conclusion.

Also, Nummer Eins, meanwhile tried to hush me down with attractive offers of cash, new car and threats. I chose to fight.

I approached the district consumer forum which gave an interim ruling ordering Skoda to release my car repaired to its international standards immediately. Skoda appealed to the state forum which stayed the release of my car. Due to a huge backlog of cases the case is proceeding slowly.

i was helped immensely by the media namely
Hemal Asher, Mid day
Soumitra Pote, Maharshtra Times
Danish Khan, Mumbai Mirror
Ravi Rao and Hafeez Mateen, Times of India
Durgesh Singh, Navbharat Times
S. Muralidhar, The Hindu

Skoda is a big advertiser in newspapers. Lot of pressure was put to stop these newspaper articles.

However the press reports finally worked and on 5th september 2008 skoda terminated the dealership of Nummer Eins in their ad in the Times Of India giving them an apt teachers day lesson.

Skoda continues to fight with me with their clout and resources because they have to protect their image and my matter has kind of become a prestige issue for them.

I have all the documents and photographs to prove my entire case.

A piece of advice for those people who have been cheated by Skoda. Don't go to court. They wouldn't mind paying the compensation even if they lost. It is small change for them. I have observed what hurts them most is the press publicity. Hit them where it hurts. Go to the press and present your case with proper documentation and records. The entire media is aware of the renowned skoda attitude ' obsessed with arrogance'. They will take it up.

Also, I wish to file a class action suit against Skoda in India. For that I need similarly affected people. At least ten of them. We can teach Skoda a lesson. - the common car owner in india is not to be taken for a ride. I am waiting for people to come forward and fight with me. So far I have been fighting single handedly. I would like to appeal to all team bhp members similarly affected to come forward.

Harish Kanchan
+91-98331-38094
harishk63@gmail.com
harishv is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 10:32   #2
BHPian

Hello Harishv,

Hats of to your resilience and commitment towards your conviction to do the right thing.

I suggest that you approach TOI with your story for their Lead India 09 campaign which is targetting among other things the "Chalta Hai" attitude.

Best Reagrds,

Danc
Old 10th March 2009, 11:36   #3
BHPian

Harish:

Hats off, congratulations and allow me to salute your perseverance to get justice. It is always very good to know that the good guys won over the bad guys.

I was affected by Skoda / their BLR dealer because they passed a lemon to me (late 2006 make car in Dec 2007) and was found defective upon PDI (can't stop thanking t-bhp enough). When I rejected the vehicle, I discovered that the dealer had already registered the car in my name.

When I looked at the Form 20, I found the signature was forged. Thankfully BLR police came to my rescue.

But boy, Skoda expressed helplessness. After the matter was resolved they sent a regret note from one Mr Keuhl saying sorry and that "it was because of their back door efforts with the dealer that the matter was resolved" - I had a good laugh felt like letting Mr Keuhl enjoying his moment, even if it's false credit.

Great show again Harish.

Cheers,
Kimi

Last edited by diffsoft : 10th March 2009 at 11:38. Reason: English
diffsoft is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 15:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good going Harish. Not many people will like to chase an issue like this. Unfortunately i dont own a skoda car and not been a victim of theirs thankfully otherwise would have joined you regarding the case.
The way am hearing Skoda stories i dont think i will recommend anyone to buy their car.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 18:12   #5
BHPian

Dude, you are quite fortunate not owning a Skoda with issues. If the car runs trouble free, she's fine. But service costs pinch. But if she has issues, then you're in for a whole crap load of money leaving your hands.

PLus, you have to then deal with the swindling dealers and worse, uncooperative company officials.

Without a doubt, I must specify that Skoda as a company on the whole, atleast in India, is living a life of a dream and reality is that their products and service is the worst of the lot in the country. Worst of the LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Good going Harish. Not many people will like to chase an issue like this. Unfortunately i dont own a skoda car and not been a victim of theirs thankfully otherwise would have joined you regarding the case.
The way am hearing Skoda stories i dont think i will recommend anyone to buy their car.
kapiljolly79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 22:06   #6
BHPian

thanks for your support guys. encourages me to fight harder.
some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-a1.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-e.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-f.jpg  

harishv is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 23:17   #7
BHPian

vehicle insp report by skoda engineer ramkrishna surabhi

sorry to clutter up this thread guys.

From: Sudhir, Srinivas [mailto:Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in] 
Sent: Saturday, April 26, 2008 1:03 PM
To: h.dee@skodajmd.com
Subject: FW: Mr.Harish Kanchan's vehicle inspection report.

Dear Mr. Dee,

Kindly call for Mr. Harish Kanchan’s vehicle and provide us with the list of components to be replaced, so that these parts will be made available to you. The labour chargers for the job work will be paid by M/s. Nummereins. Your cooperation and understanding in this matter is solicited,

Thanks &

Best Regards

Srinivas Sudhir
Customer Care
After Sales

SkodaAuto India Private Limited
Plot No:A-1/1,Shendra
Five Star Industrial Area,MIDC
Aurangabad-431201
Tel :+91 240 6631256
Fax :+91 240 6631277
E-mail : Srinivas.Sudhir@skoda-auto.co.in

Sent: Thursday, April 24, 2008 4:19 PM
To: 'shammivijan@yahoo.com'
Cc: Srinivas, Satya; Sudhir, Srinivas
Subject: Mr.Harish Kanchan's vehicle inspection report.

Dear Mr.Shammi,

Kindly find enclosed report with regards to Mr.Harish Kanchan’s car. Request your feedback with regards to the report and the course of action from your end to rectify the customer’s vehicle.

Thanks & Regards,
Karthik Ramesh | Business Development
ŠKODA AUTO India Pvt. Ltd. | A-1/1, Shendra, Five Star MIDC | Aurangabad - Mahrashtra | India
Tel: +91 240 663 1206 | Fax: +91 240 663 1299 
karthik.ramesh@skoda-auto.co.in | ?koda Auto - Homepage | ?koda Auto - Homepage

Vehicle particulars;
Model: Octavia/1.9 TDI/66KW/Rider/MT/White.
VIN No: TMBCGK1U56A012587.
Engine No: ALHE15272.
Reg.No: MH-06AF-6115.
Present KMs: 33,756.
I have inspected the said vehicle at M/s.JMD Auto, Bandup workshop, Mumbai on 23rd, April 08 as per the customer’s grievance lodged at Customer care cell, SAIPL. The inspection details are enclosed below;

Initially, the said vehicle was reported to M/s.Nummer Eins, Chembur workshop for accidental repair work in the month of February.
- Please refer carefully the enclosed photographs of the said vehicle and extent of damage at the time of accident was occurred. The accident was taken place at only front LH side.
- The enclosed photographs are received from the Insurance Surveyor.
As per the customer’s apprehension and as per the final invoiced parts list, all the replaced parts have been inspected for their originality.
- Please carefully refer the enclosed photographs of inspected parts by me; all the replaced parts are Non Genuine (substandard spares which are available in grey-market).
Apparently there were some unjustified/unnatural repair works also carried on the vehicle along with accidental repair jobs, the details follows as;
- V-belt with belt tensioner assembly was replaced without any reason.
- Electric magnet clutch of AC compressor was replaced without any reason.
- Original battery fuse box was swapped and fitted with damaged/burnt fuse box is fitted on vehicle.
- Original battery was swapped and fitted with underspecified voltage and substandard (make AMRON) battery was fitted without battery clamp.
- Original radiator fan was swapped and fitted with a damaged fan.
- In the month of January 14th, 08, the said vehicle was reported for periodic service and during that service schedule the dealer had replaced both front brake rotors (brake discs), but within a month period the customer has faced concern about brake juddering, as per the customer apprehension, I have inspected the replaced brake discs, found the same are Non-Genuine parts (substandard spares which are available in grey-market).
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-mr.harish-kanchans-vehicles-jmd-mumbai-23.04.08-007.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-mr.harish-kanchans-vehicles-jmd-mumbai-23.04.08-010.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-mr.harish-kanchans-vehicles-jmd-mumbai-23.04.08-012.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-mr.harish-kanchans-vehicles-jmd-mumbai-23.04.08-016.jpg  

Skoda dealer changes parts in my car = Consumer Court. *UPDATE* Case Settled!-mr.harish-kanchans-vehicles-jmd-mumbai-23.04.08-025.jpg  

harishv is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th March 2009, 23:21   #8
BHPian

can somebody tell me what does the green light at the left bottom of my post signify?
harishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 07:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
sorry to clutter up this thread guys.
I am sure the Skoda owners will appreciate you sharing your experience.

And not able to see the report that you have mentioned about from the engineer Ramkrishna Surabhi.
Old 11th March 2009, 10:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

On-line indicator

Quote:
can somebody tell me what does the green light at the left bottom of my post signify?
That button if green means the member is on-line.

Cheers,
Old 11th March 2009, 10:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

@Harish :
I am shocked to read what you have posted. Threats ? What kind of threats ? All I know is that Chembur is not a great area and this dealer is located at Chembur, so they might be using their all available contacts, etc. It mental torture to have bought a costly car and then facing these disturbing problems.

Its true that for a company as large as Skoda ( i.e. VW ) it doesnt matter if they have to replace an entire car. Skoda should be banned from India I think. I had heard bad stories, but one seems to be the worst of the stories. The best part is that you choose to fight it out, not many do this. Again if you take 10+ people with you, VW will try its best to sort out the matter. I suggest you dont, but heart in heart I appreciate if you manage to take then down. IIRC, even one of TBHP moderator's car ( Skoda Octavia VRs ) had some reliability issues.

I suggest we provide the TBHP thread links to as many people as possible and spread the word. No other manufacturer who is in top three will have ever green A.S and S. related problems in India. And these things can happen in India only.

I think the car is finally with you now.
aaggoswami is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2009, 10:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

It is disgusting to see such unscrupolous workshops & car dealers. Surprisingly Skoda seems oblivious to the damage such actions can do to their reputation. The principlas of the company should have a more hands on approach in seeing to it that the global standards are folowed & adhered to. Any un-ethical action on part of the dealer needs to be dealt with an iron hand !!

Kudos to Harishv for following up with this case with persistence. Best part is that all the evidence is there to make Skoda see Red.

Hope the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2009, 11:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
@Harish :
I am shocked to read what you have posted. Threats ? What kind of threats ?
------
And these things can happen in India only.

I think the car is finally with you now.
no aago. the car is still at jmd auto from april 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
It is disgusting to see such unscrupolous workshops & car dealers. Surprisingly Skoda seems oblivious to the damage such actions can do to their reputation. The principlas of the company should have a more hands on approach in seeing to it that the global standards are folowed & adhered to. Any un-ethical action on part of the dealer needs to be dealt with an iron hand !!

Kudos to Harishv for following up with this case with persistence. Best part is that all the evidence is there to make Skoda see Red.

Hope the issue is resolved to your satisfaction.
Cheers
thanx ricky. hope so too

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th March 2009 at 11:34. Reason: Multi quote, back to back posts.
Old 11th March 2009, 12:18   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the car is still at jmd auto from april 2008
Whaaat????? Been following this thread for some time now, but didn't quite realise your car is sitting with jmd for almost a full year. That's astounding. And this despite approaching the consumer courts? Good God...
Old 11th March 2009, 12:32   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Whaaat????? Been following this thread for some time now, but didn't quite realise your car is sitting with jmd for almost a full year. That's astounding. And this despite approaching the consumer courts? Good God...
unfortunately thats how our system works and that is precisely the reason why people give up. but i have decided to see this through. i am just about concluding details on the class action suit against skoda. i am surprised at the overwhelming response from lots of people. thank u all
harishv is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed