Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2009, 21:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

Misleading car/bike ads.

We all know that car/bike manufacturers hype things up in their ads. This, in an attempt to make their products more desirable over their competitors'. But unfortuntalely, they go overboard in their quest and in the process end up removing it far from ground reality. Their is no dearth of such ads but the recent Maruti SX4 ad is mother of all such ads. It beats them all and takes the cake. Imagine scaring a trailer-trucker into backing out by charging at him in an SX4. Come on, Maruti. Just who do you think you are kidding? Even a 6-year old won't buy this ad. And the ad did not come with the king size lettering warning," do not try this at home"? And oh, by the way, since I did not find a thread with this title, I started a new one. Can we please get inputs on more such misleading ads?
Old 11th March 2009, 21:31   #2
BHPian

The Hero Honda CBZ ads just suck. Imagine doing all that stuff on a bike.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

No one is really going to do that with an SX4. I don't see anything wrong with the ad, they're not depicting the car as doing anything which isn't impossible. It's just that no one would be bothered.

If we go by that logic most of the ads would have to be pulled up eg. All the pre-2008 Yamaha ads for showing R1's and selling us mopeds in comparision.

The Pulsarmania ads would go for a toss.

I think we should give some creative freedom to the guys who come up with this stuff.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

The HH ad where Hritik Roshan jumps from the helicopter astride his Yellow Karizma.
The Bullet ad where trains are held up at level crossing so that Bullet could pass.
Some dude riding across a Dam on his bike... er was it Pulsar ad or HH ad?

Pulsar Mania ads are cool... they might be misleading, but not stupid like the ones i mentioned above.
Old 11th March 2009, 21:50   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess all ads are misleading in their own right. If they would relay just real facts and their products sold on that alone, there wouldnt be a need to advertize/market in the first place!
Old 11th March 2009, 22:01   #6
BHPian

Advertisements are made for the sole reason of catching your attention. The point of them is to make sure you're familiar with the name of the product, and that you know its USP.

As this sector is becoming very competitive, advertisements are getting more elaborate and creative. They have a mini storyline and they project the car/bike in a way they think will appeal to their target customer.

Such concepts have been there since ages. In the 1980's, an ad showed cowboys smoking Marlboro's and riding horses. Doesn't necessarily mean that anyone who smokes a Marlboro can ride a horse as well as those guys.

Most examples given in above posts are of creative/attention-grabbing advertisements. They're not misleading. Misleading would be saying (for example) that the Skoda Superb is offered with 20" alloys, when in reality they only offer 16" or 17".

Last edited by f450 : 11th March 2009 at 22:02.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

The SX4 ad is quite cool. I don't think the purpose of TV ads is to show the ad goinf through streets and highways and list the features.
All ads are done to catch your attention and drive home a message and make you remember the ad.
They draw parallels in life.

The bike ads (most of them) are very monotonous and just show a lot of similar stunts and visuals. Each ad by itself is good - but almost all the bike ad concepts are just stale.

Quote:
Most examples given in above posts are of creative/attention-grabbing advertisements. They're not misleading. Misleading would be saying (for example) that the Skoda Superb is offered with 20" alloys, when in reality they only offer 16" or 17".
Agreed. An ad that misinforms or misleads is one that states a wrong fact.
Old 11th March 2009, 22:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Advertisements are made for the sole reason of catching your attention. The point of them is to make sure you're familiar with the name of the product, and that you know its USP.

true and true.i also feel that ads on print media showing all the accessories a car can have and gives a small star or hash mark which leads us to micro lettered words saying"accessories show above are not part of standard equipment".
now thats misleading more than anything specially to people who run off through pages looking at pics and come to conlusions!!
Old 12th March 2009, 00:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Heres a similar thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-cars-ads.html

cya
R
Old 12th March 2009, 00:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

the new bajaj 135 dtsi ad sucks. the two women fighting. initially you wont come to know what that ad is about. then later the 135 cc bajaj comes with a 1000 cc bikes firing, vrooom vroooom. bajaj firing sucks a big time with all rocker arm noises mixing with the valve banging noises. how do they show such sporty firing on the 135 cc bike.
Old 12th March 2009, 09:51   #11
Senior - BHPian

Very few ads concentrate on product details. They usually fancy what they can not do in real world with the same product.

Off Topic: According to me the "Safari" ads are the most entertaining to watch.
Old 12th March 2009, 10:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Very few ads concentrate on product details. They usually fancy what they can not do in real world with the same product.

Off Topic: According to me the "Safari" ads are the most entertaining to watch.
Do you see SX4 ""DUEL" ad?
Only if you have seen the movie, you can really enjoy, otherwise it will look a like a child's play, just pure fun!
Old 12th March 2009, 11:08   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Do you see SX4 ""DUEL" ad?
Only if you have seen the movie, you can really enjoy, otherwise it will look a like a child's play, just pure fun!

if Spielberg sees this ad, he would be surely interested in Directing "Duel 2, The rise of the cars" where our own SX4 will be chasing the Trailer laden trucks.
Old 12th March 2009, 11:39   #14
BHPian

Ads are there just to show-off the product and it remains in people's mind so that they start querying about it !! so that way SX4 ad had done its job ;-)
Old 12th March 2009, 11:51   #15

i think the only purpose of these car/bikes ads is to make them so attractive or wierd that the viewer is able to remember the ad and hence he can recall the brand as well.i think in such a competitive segment, just showcasing a bike/car's plus point will not help the product and so these ad companies go overboard most of the times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks