Team-BHP - Ambassador, Premier Padmini Specs ??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Ambassador, Premier Padmini Specs ?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/5489-ambassador-premier-padmini-specs.html)

Hi Guys,

Was just wondering, we keep talking about the specs of all the new cars, does any one has specs of the Great cars of yesteryears(Padmini's were used in rallies) the Premier Padmini & the Ambassador.

Also it would be nice if some can tell the differences between the variants of these cars (yes they had variants)

Premier Padmini :

1) Safari (the estate version of padmin, any different specs ?)
2) President
3) Deluxe BE
4) Deluxe BU (I think it had air con)
5) Executive SE (not sure about the name but it was the lastest one which had Altrerntor instead of the Dynamo)

Ambassador :

1) Mark I
2) Mark II
3) Mark III
4) Mark IV

Techno

Guys this is really surprising. We keep talking about all the big dadies which are not even present in India(& whom may not come either) & no body on TBhp knows the specs of these cars which were here for so long :(

This is an excerpt from a website, i am not sure about the credibilty. Also no info about the variants.

"This aging model lives on. The Padmini is derived from the 1962 Fiat 1100 and its 1089cc engine, which evolved way before 1953, continues to be used till this day. The Padmini's performance is quite adequate for our roads and fuel economy is not bad either. The suspension is still old fashioned, with leaf springs at the rear, while the car's road manners are a far cry from modern standards. This car was the preferred choice before the Maruti came along. The only redeeming feature of the Padmini is that it can be serviced and repaired just about anywhere in the Indian sub-continent. Fit-and-finish and refinement is not the hallmark of this car. This car is for people who need a boot but don't have much loot."

Technical Specification:

Type Four-cylinder, in-line, longitudinal, petrol
Displacement 1089cc
Bore x Stroke [mm] 68 x 75
Cylinders Four
Maximum power 40bhp @ 4800rpm
Maximum torque 7.20kgm @ 3000rpm
Compression ratio 7:8:1
Transmission Manual, rear-wheel drive
Number of gears Four
Dimensions Values
Length 3,9305 mm
Width 1,460 mm
Ground Clearance 128 mm
Wheelbase 2,340 mm
Weight 895 kg
Maximum Speed 105 kph

Thanks mate, thats a nice info :)

HM Ambassador (Pre-Mark 4) Technical Specifications

4 cylinder, in-line, longitudinal, carburetted petrol
Displacement 1489cc
Bore x Stroke [mm] 73 x 89
Maximum power 50bhp @ 4400rpm
Maximum torque 76lbft @ 2500rpm
Compression ratio 7:2:1
Transmission 4 Speed Manual, rear-wheel drive
Dimensions
Length 4,312 mm
Width 1,675 mm
Height 1,600mm
Ground Clearance 160 mm
Wheelbase 2,465 mm
Weight 1163 kg
Maximum Speed 105 kph

Mark 4 / Nova had 56bhp, compression 8:3:1

I drove an Amby Mk3 for many years - know that car inside out!

Difference between models of the Padmini (I had read this somewhere)
BE had a bench seat in the front, BU had bucket seats.
S1 had the AVL desiged petrol engine with 45bhp.
Safari was nothing but a Padmini with an Estate body.
I don't know much about the President, but I think that name was used before they thought of "Padmini".

Difference between models of the Amby
Most of the differences in the Mk1, 2 & 3 were just cosmetic except, the Mk1's engine was a sidevalve one. The Mk2 & 3 had an overhead valve.
Mk4 & Nova had more power and torque and Nova had a more responsive steering.

the last of the Padmini's were called the S1 ( for Step 1 )
they had a different instrument cluster with a clock and some more lights, also the alternator.

Step 1 was for the changes the company wanted to bring, but i guess they were too late.

they were some pics in Car and Bike mag somewhere in 1994, Premier had hired a french company to re-design the padmini which looked some what like a saab 900 from the front.

i still have the mag, will scan it and post those pics

Pankaj

guys, a bit off-topic.

my dad used to own a mark3 amby which was converted from a petrol engine to a diesel "matador" engine. can anyone help me with the engine specs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pankaj09
they had a different instrument cluster with a clock and some more lights, also the alternator.

I well remember the S1 had a synchromesh gearbox that they use to advertise a lot about. They used to sell the car for around 2.4 lacs. I remember my friend had bought one for that much in '95. rl:

Quote:

they were some pics in Car and Bike mag somewhere in 1994, Premier had hired a french company to re-design the padmini which looked some what like a saab 900 from the front.

Dammm thats News for me. Pankaj, please scan as soon as possible

Quote:

Pankaj

Whoa, I never knew about that!! Quickly buddy, even I can't wait to see how it looks!!!

Talking of Premier Padmini, my dad owns a 1968 model. Does not want to sell it bcos it wont fetch more than 20000, also bcos of sentimental reasons. The car is in running condition and is fitted with CNG kit.

Know anyone in South Mumbai who can restore the car?

Quote:

Ever heard an S1? That was the best sounding exhaust I have heard to date on any Indian car.

GTO

Had 3 of them in 1995.
I remember i used to love them so much that i would wake up and wash them before school.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
Ever heard an S1? That was the best sounding exhaust I have heard to date on any Indian car.

GTO

yeah,
a white S1 with those greenish tinted glasses looked and sounded awesome