Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:37   #16
BANNED

Yesterdays adverstisement of Hyundai in TImes second last page shows New Sonata.. but i guess it will be overpriced..
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:38   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_lover
if anyone watched the Auto Show episode on friday ... they did a review on the Tiburon ...
hyundai hasnt decided wether it should throw a 5 psd or 6 spd yet ... but the fact that it'll come with a speed stick and not an auto is certain ..
also ..the pricing is supposed to be around 17 L .....

hmmmm ...and why do they call it the TUscani ???and not the Tiburon ????
Well thats better news..still though, 17L is a rip off for that car..its barely 20,000 dollars in the US. Tuscani is the name for it in Korea..its called Tiburon in North America, and Coupe in Europe.
Old 22nd May 2005, 16:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
Well thats better news..still though, 17L is a rip off for that car..its barely 20,000 dollars in the US. Tuscani is the name for it in Korea..its called Tiburon in North America, and Coupe in Europe.
1. What do other cars sold in India (10 Lakhs plus range) retail for in the US? You might find a similar price differential. I can buy an E Class here for about Rs.12 lakhs and it sells in India for 42. I buy a Mondy here for 3.6 lakhs (okay it was a fleet purchase) and it sells for about 18 lakhs in India. I can buy a Camry here for about Rs.8 Lakhs and it sells for Rs.18 lakhs or thereabouts in India. Using this yardstick, every car sold in India is a rip off. We have about 35% Excise Duty and various rates of Sales Tax, Octroi, Education Cess and what not on top of the manufacturer's price. In the case of CBU imports I think the import duty alone goes over 100% (I THINK). It would therefore not be fair to compare prices of vehicles sold in India with those of the same model abroad.

2. Tuscani is a brand under which Hyundai were selling this Coupe/Tiburon without the Hyundai badge. I dont know why they did it, but I can see both Coupes (its called Coupe in the middle east) and Tiburons here. The Tiburon seems to have a different logo as well. I dont know if this will extend to India. The coupe is sold as the Tiburon in parts of Europe - Tiburon is allegedly a spanish word for 'Shark' and Hyundai does pretty well in markets like Spain.

I still feel that there will be few takers at 17 lakhs, and that it should be priced lower if it uses the Sonata engine which (I presume) should be localised by now. The floorpan is Elantra, so the additional costs shouldnt be all that much. However, the Coupe does come loaded with features (including leather seats here).
Old 22nd May 2005, 17:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
1. What do other cars sold in India (10 Lakhs plus range) retail for in the US? You might find a similar price differential. I can buy an E Class here for about Rs.12 lakhs and it sells in India for 42. I buy a Mondy here for 3.6 lakhs (okay it was a fleet purchase) and it sells for about 18 lakhs in India. I can buy a Camry here for about Rs.8 Lakhs and it sells for Rs.18 lakhs or thereabouts in India. Using this yardstick, every car sold in India is a rip off. We have about 35% Excise Duty and various rates of Sales Tax, Octroi, Education Cess and what not on top of the manufacturer's price. In the case of CBU imports I think the import duty alone goes over 100% (I THINK). It would therefore not be fair to compare prices of vehicles sold in India with those of the same model abroad.

2. Tuscani is a brand under which Hyundai were selling this Coupe/Tiburon without the Hyundai badge. I dont know why they did it, but I can see both Coupes (its called Coupe in the middle east) and Tiburons here. The Tiburon seems to have a different logo as well. I dont know if this will extend to India. The coupe is sold as the Tiburon in parts of Europe - Tiburon is allegedly a spanish word for 'Shark' and Hyundai does pretty well in markets like Spain.

I still feel that there will be few takers at 17 lakhs, and that it should be priced lower if it uses the Sonata engine which (I presume) should be localised by now. The floorpan is Elantra, so the additional costs shouldnt be all that much. However, the Coupe does come loaded with features (including leather seats here).
ok u got me on point 1..i had discussed it earlier..those sorts of taxes and stuff need to be lowered in order to promote more equitable prices. I always thought Tuscani was just the name of the Tiburon in Korea, i wasnt aware that it was a seperate brand, but iono, i havent kept up much with Hyundai. Yep, Tiburon is 'Shark' for spanish. The car does have the looks (saw a preety sweet black one on the freeway 2nite, with the griles on the sides lit up with red LEDs), bu the power is lacking :(. Im betting it will be anywhere between 15-17 lakhs...ballpark figure. Personally i havent driven or sat inside the car, so i cant really comment on that aspect of it.
Old 28th May 2005, 12:14   #20
BHPian

well if the Tiburon/Tuscani/Coupe is indeed launched in india, here are some from the states:

this one is straight from Korea:

i think you guys get the picture. For 17 lakhs i'd still be interested..and im sure it might be priced a bit less, seeing as it shares the sonata engine and stuff. Color choice is hard though..i'd prolly go with blue, black, red, or white. Its going to be unique though, for sure, which is the cool thing about it.
Old 30th May 2005, 06:17   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
I guess the prices are a bit higher even if the Tiburon is a CBU. Its good if they are able to keep it down below 15. No one will be willing to buy a Korean sports car for 18 lacs.

The price difference between an Elantra and the Tiburon is around $ 2,500 in US. Taking that into consideration 15 lacs should be ok with a CBU. Anything more, Hyundai is charging an extra premium, may be because its selling the first genuine sportscar in India.
Old 30th May 2005, 08:20   #22
BHPian

^u make a good point..but that sonata V6 only makes 166 hp :(...so that kinda sucks. But in the US, its 172 hp..so im sure the extra 6 hp can be made up somehow (filter, what not). If Hyundai decides to throw in the 6 speed manual, things could get interesting.

Last edited by CaliAtenza : 30th May 2005 at 08:22.
Old 30th May 2005, 12:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling deep down that they wont.
Old 30th May 2005, 13:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by islero
I have a feeling deep down that they wont.
in that case...its not worth it....the 6 speed manual from what i hear is a really fine unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks