Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2009, 16:26   #16
BHPian

How can we forget - "chal meri Luna!", such a lovely thing to ride on in college. TVS 50, the load carrier. In early 1980s, mopeds were the way of life with 100 cc bikes just coming in - the Ind-Suzuki, KB-100 and RX-100.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:28   #17
BHPian

Daewoo Matiz, a solid little car if there ever was one. Some of em running strong even today
Old 17th March 2009, 16:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Architect. The Daewoo Cielo was the one that started the accesories madrush wasn't it? Came out of nowhere with some new stuff and suddenly it became the trend, even though the car itself was, well, never mind.

The Maruti 1000 should be here as well. The sedan revolution after the 800's hatch revolution. And the Zen of course. The original indian sports car !!

The Reva deserves it's place here. And why isn't there any OHC ? Hall Of Fame after all, one of the most sought after cars ever.

PS : I see this thread become famous soon.
Old 17th March 2009, 16:39   #19
BHPian

guys how about adding,

the bajaj sunny zip
hero puch
LML Adreno, LML Graptor and LML Beamer into the 2 wheeler list they also had a bit of styling element in them.

4 Wheelers:

Tata Estate that started the estate [station wagon]trend and followed by the baleno aultra and the corsa sail/swing.

Last edited by sajands : 17th March 2009 at 16:42. Reason: forgot to mention on the 4 wheelers
Old 17th March 2009, 17:11   #20
BHPian

Here's my list:
Cars:
1) Ambassador
2) Cielo
3) Fiat Uno

Then Mahindra Jeep with Peugeot engine. It was big thing then with lot of space and comparatively silent engine.
Old 17th March 2009, 17:39   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
from the original list i question accent's presence !!
i think we missed Qualis - it changed the taxi segment !!
also i would include zen(as someone has pointed out) - it was the merc of hatchback

amoung the 2 wheelers - splendor is missing.. it was the mass bike. and what about tvs 50 - it was the rural bike !
well eventhough accent may not be really an old timer, but when you really look at the time when it was launched, how much of a choice did we really have in terms of a sedan that a common man could afford apart from the esteem/sienna and the likes. The accent deserves to be in the list since just the sheer number of accents we see way back when it was introduced and even now on the roads proves the point . Also talkin about the diesel version, I suppose common rail stuff came in with the accent CRDi. But like i said, this may not be an old timer relatively but defenitely something that would find a place in my hall of fame. Just My opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
the bajaj sunny zip
hero puch
LML Adreno, LML Graptor and LML Beamer into the 2 wheeler list they also had a bit of styling element in them.

4 Wheelers:

Tata Estate that started the estate [station wagon]trend and followed by the baleno aultra and the corsa sail/swing.
Though i'd agree with sunny and the puch, i am not sure if the LML bikes really did make that much of an impact. The LML scooters ofcourse were pretty high on the popularity list. Again corsa sail is a debatable entry to the hall of fame.

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 21:19. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:20   #22
BHPian

Guys, can someone throw some light on this particular vehicle which used to be a regular site at bangalore. It is a 3 wheeler auto like thing used mainly for transports and had humongous vertical grills. It had a very vicious look to it. This is the same one that is used as a getaway vehicle and crashes into the petrol bunk by kamal hassans son in the film nayakan.
Old 17th March 2009, 20:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

No one mentioned the legendry RD 350 till now,it has no comparison till date.
and please LML bikes dont deserve to be thought of even
Old 17th March 2009, 20:27   #24
BHPian

Strangely, no mention of the RD 350!! Also, so many of us have not mentioned HH CBZ!! This is the bike that redifined the motorcycle scene in India. The Bajaj pulsar might have taken over in terms of sheer numbers but it was no where close to the CBZ in terms of handling, power and product quality.

For 4 wheelers, how can we forget the advent of Honda, giving india the first car with a triple digit BHP rating, and also the Astra Club.. I think the first MPFI car in india ( I might be wrong, the reason I say this is cuz we have one and it boldly says "multiport fuel injection" at the back).

Shrey
Old 17th March 2009, 22:10   #25
BHPian

Its great to hear the names such as gazelle, hero puch , sierra which i think most people probably have already forgotten. anyways..

To summarize on the list so far , a few of them that i found are debatable (its just my opinion, unless some one tell me why these should be included in the hall of fame)..

Amby , Fiat padmini , M800 ,Contessa, Tata Sierra,M&M jeeps (MM 540, bolero, armada et all),Gypsy,Indica,Accent,Santro,Zen, nano, 118 NE(for a radically different LADA looks), gazelle,sumo(the next big thing for cabbies), Safari(the hulk), Qualis (the sumo competitor and a good one at that), Cielo(well simply coz it was different), Reva (an electrifying idea), willys jeeps, Maruti omni (the first box on wheels in india), matiz (debatable), Tata Estate (simply coz it was the first ever decent estate), uno(debatable), honda city(how did i ever forget to include the vtec), Lancer , Esteem (a good upgrade over the worthy 800),

two wheelers[/SIZE]
Bajaj 150, Bajaj Cub, Bajaj chetak, HH sleek,Enfield bullet,HH CBZ,Yezdi,Rajdoot, java, RD 350,Shogun,Samurai, Bajaj CD100, Yamaha Rx, pulsar, splendor, Vespa, karizma , TVS 50(pocket rocket), bajaj sunny, hero puch(loved the pickup on this)

3 wheelers
Bajaj auto (no competition till date to this one)

Heavy vehicles
Tata,Leyland,Matador

now out of the above how many of us really feel that the below should be part of the hall of fame, if yes then why

omni
uno
karizma
cielo
tata estate
bajaj sunny
matiz

Last edited by Rotorhead : 17th March 2009 at 22:23.
Old 17th March 2009, 22:29   #26
BHPian

bikes-kb100
rx100

scooters-kinetic honda

cars-standard 2000
maruti 1000

heavy vehicals-eicher or canter something those mini trucks used to really zip around
Old 25th March 2009, 13:32   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
bikes-kb100
rx100

scooters-kinetic honda

cars-standard 2000
maruti 1000

heavy vehicals-eicher or canter something those mini trucks used to really zip around
standard 2000 defenitely deserves a spot . The best lookin car when it was launched and ofcourse yes kinetic honda which revolutionized the two wheeler segment. In a sense a major contribution towards moto liberalization to the women. How many women did we get to see driving two wheelers before the kine.
Old 25th March 2009, 17:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

In three-wheeler section there is a lot of competition around - from Piaggio's Ape, and erstwhile Greaves Garuda, Mahindra Champion. Bajaj was relatively late entrant into diesel three-wheeler segment.
Old 29th March 2009, 16:33   #29
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Some cars from my automotive hall of fame:

1. M800 : Showed India the wonders of modern packaging, technology, reliability and that cars can actually travel 200 kms without overheating . However, the Nano eclipses the 800 as the latter was primarily bought by higher-middle class / rich families. The Nano will make itself to homes that couldn't even dream about a car 5 years back.

2. Ambassador : A back seat that is unbeatable on comfort. Even today!

3. Mahindra SWB Jeeps : Heck of an off-roader in its time. Heck of an off-roader in 2009.

4. RD350 : The quickest bike for a long time. Great sounding too. Popularly known as the "widow-maker".

5. Tata 207 / Sierra / Estate : While Maruti, Fiat & HM were merely importing dies and localising, Tata built a passenger car on their own! The Sierra was the looker of its time and offered unparalleled interior space, comfort and image. The 207's basic platform is still in use today!

6. HM Contessa : Muscle car of it's time, I think the first to do a near 100 kph in second gear. Damn quick while the ISZ 1.8 liter was known for its 3.0 lakh life.

7. Tata 407 : Gave such a fight to 4 Japanese companies that some scooted back home!

8. Mahindra Scorpio / Tata Indica : Truly Indian cars coming of age.

There are some others that'd deserve a mention in this hall of fame. The Standard 2000 (what a looker, but terrible choice of engine / gearbox), Rover Montego (fast diesel, fully loaded, great sedan for the time), Maruti 1000 (drop-dead looks and our first truly modern *luxury* car), Maruti Gypsy ('nuff said), Bajaj Chetak, OHC Vtec (sinful pleasure under 10 lakhs), Palio 1.6 (first hot hatch with 100 horses) and the Skoda vRS (still the only true performance car ever sold under 15 lakhs).

Do you have a hall of SHAME? Please start the list with the San Storm.
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:05   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Do you have a hall of SHAME? Please start the list with the San Storm.
defenitely the san storm deserves the first spot. The others in my hall of SHAME. others in my list

1. Sipani D1
2. Trax judo - great vehicle, but the force guys just dont seem to know how to sell them. The shame is more on force motors than the vehicle itself.
3. hero honda bike
4. The old ford ikon diesel - such an under powered car.
5. The zen classic
6. Safari TCIC - smoke belching, underpowered, overweight behemoth.
7. Montana (the dolphin lookalike)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks