Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2009, 18:10   #1
BHPian

Car with lightest clutch.

Guys ,
At times i drive my Dad's Omni , the clutch seems to be very hard when i shift gears .

I am in process of looking out to buy a new car(budget around 9 lac) , my concerns are :

> I hate shifting gears here in blore traffic , since i have problem with my left leg i get some discomfort pain when i shift gears frequently in Omni .

> Should i look for automatic - i know its good for city ,but i intend to travel in highway once in month for about 600km.

> I know NHC city automatic and paddle shift is good choice , but 10.74lac on road blore price is out of my imagination .

> Coming to feasible point - Which is the best car under the above price which has got the lightest clutch. I was reading the ACI issues where they had written about "fabia after 1 year" and mentioned that it has got one lightest clutch pedals in the current market .

Also i seem to be inclined towards city ZX gxi , with some good discounts . But one in this forum mentioned that the clutch is not light as mauthi zen.

Do u guys have any other suggestions and comment .
Old 16th March 2009, 18:22   #2
BHPian

If your left leg pains you quite a bit and if you are in Bangalore or Virajpet or in between, I think an automatic will suit you best. And the one in your budget could be Verna AT. I own a manual Verna and Santro AT and I think you may get nearly the best of both. Verna is torquey at lower RPMs and reasonable on FE. AT will leave your left hand / leg free and relaxed.

However the Verna AT has only 4 shifts and an OD so that may take the pep out of driving. But given your budget I would suggest Verna AT.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 16th March 2009 at 18:22. Reason: English
Old 16th March 2009, 18:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

This may be a little off topic here but I too own a Maruti Omni (2007) and I find the clutch to be quite smooth. And since you say that you have a problem with your leg, my suggestion would be that if you are driving a vehicle with a clutch, always use good heavy duty shoes, I think that will help too. I'm sure other BHPians here will answer your actual query satisfactorily...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
If your left leg pains you quite a bit and if you are in Bangalore or Virajpet or in between, I think an automatic will suit you best. And the one in your budget could be Verna AT. I own a manual Verna and Santro AT and I think you may get nearly the best of both. Verna is torquey at lower RPMs and reasonable on FE. AT will leave your left hand / leg free and relaxed.

However the Verna AT has only 4 shifts and an OD so that may take the pep out of driving. But given your budget I would suggest Verna AT.

Cheers,
@diffsoft Did'nt get what you meant by saying 'if you are in Bangalore or Virajpet or in between', what difference would that have made to your suggestion ?

Last edited by Rehaan : 17th March 2009 at 13:02. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend the Verna AT. best of both worlds - FE & Performance in an Automatic. Around 9.5 Lacs I would assume OTR.

Not too many AT options we have in India.

As far as Lighter clutch cars go, I would recommend the following to you -

Honda City - Good City car. Light Clutch IMO.
i20 - I drove one recently and found the clutch very light and driving is very easy. Well loaded too and good VFM
FABIA - I have not driven this one but I am sure it's going to be a good driver's car.

TD these and see for yourself which car suits you.

Last edited by vkochar : 16th March 2009 at 19:29.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:45   #5
BHPian

vkochar
sure i will test drive both the City ZX and ANHC ,

diffsoft , Thnx for the suggestion , also suggest me something which is not automatic and has the lightest clutch .

Any suggestion on how good or bad the City ZX GXi clutch is ?
Old 16th March 2009, 19:56   #6
BHPian

I agree - Verna AT. Also, I think almost all Hyundai stick-shifts have a light clutch so you can try the regular Verna's too.
Old 16th March 2009, 20:10   #7
BHPian

Thnx all ,
any comments on how good or bad City ZX clutch is ?
Old 16th March 2009, 20:15   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
i20 - I drove one recently and found the clutch very light and driving is very easy. Well loaded too and good VFM
i20 is VFM?
You please check the price, and find how much over-priced i20 is.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th March 2009 at 20:20. Reason: only two smilies per post allowed.
Old 16th March 2009, 21:58   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Guys ,
Do u guys have any other suggestions and comment .
You might want to consider a used Civic AT. A 2007-08 model, single owner, very low mileage (around 15k km) should fit into your budget comfortably. Used Civic prices seem to have gone southward rather drastically in the last couple of months, at least here in Bombay. Good time to take advantage of the same.

Good luck.
Old 16th March 2009, 22:25   #10
BHPian

have you guys tried the Indica Vista. I felt the clutch was very light.
Old 16th March 2009, 23:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I'm not sure if this is the lightest clutch out there. My Cedia's clutch is way lighter than any hyundai i've driven so far which IMHO don't have light clutches like Hondas and Mitsubishis.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:32   #12
SLK
Senior - BHPian

I own a city zx . . .

The clutch is not light [though since its hydraulic, its very smooth]. Otherwise My wagon R and 800 have much much lighter clutches.

Last edited by SLK : 17th March 2009 at 00:34.
Old 17th March 2009, 00:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

man forget all this get i10 AT, will have lesser issues with traffic in the city as its a small hatchback and its a okay highway car for now and then, and rest of the amount you can use to maintain the car and for its fuel.

or may be buy a second hand sedan in the rest of the amount for highway use.

Last edited by rider60 : 17th March 2009 at 00:34.
Old 17th March 2009, 09:05   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
man forget all this get i10 AT, will have lesser issues with traffic in the city as its a small hatchback and its a okay highway car for now and then, and rest of the amount you can use to maintain the car and for its fuel.

or may be buy a second hand sedan in the rest of the amount for highway use.

Rightly said! i10 A/T is the best vehicle for your needs. I own this vehicle and I will be taking her for long drive also. Absolutely no problem and it is great vehicle to drive
Old 17th March 2009, 09:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

For your budget, you should try out the hyundai automatics. If you have a problem with your left leg, might as well shift completely to an auto box!
And yeah, a used civic, about 2 years old, would be a brilliant alternative!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks