Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2014, 13:59   #196
BHPian

Re: Indian States Registration Number Identification

Gentlemen, your assistance please with the new Maharashtra codes. The list on Wikipedia is pretty good and is kept up to date (by a Team-BHPian?) amazing well of all the various states RTO codes. It even has TS included and that was only days ago that it was confirmed.
Maharashtra is being a bit of a problem for me however.
The official mahtranscom.in website only lists up to code MH50. However various blogs and private websites have a list up to MH56 and even MH59 with various of the higher numbers being listed as "to be introduced". There are significant differences as to where the new codes are used and to be used between the various websites.
The website offices.org.in that may or may not be an official website, lists some of the higher numbers as in use (MH51 as Nashik and MH53&54 as Pune).
Has anyone any idea if there was an official notification from the MH government as to the 'new' numbers and, if so, where it can be seen?
Many thanks
Cedric

Last edited by sabinesnubbing : 14th June 2014 at 14:00.
sabinesnubbing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 19:46   #197
BHPian

I recently saw a car with registration no. 'UK DB xxxx'.
Can anyone tell is this Uttarakhand's new scheme for allocating temporary numbers..?
Old 29th July 2014, 22:49   #198
BHPian

Had seen a couple of cars bearing with Red plates if i'm not mistaken with the reg number being KERALA STATE 5 and KERALA STATE 3. Government cars no doubt, but why don't they follow the usual convention?
Old 29th July 2014, 23:28   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicvic View Post
Had seen a couple of cars bearing with Red plates if i'm not mistaken with the reg number being KERALA STATE 5 and KERALA STATE 3. Government cars no doubt, but why don't they follow the usual convention?
Those are the cars of the state ministers. Typically, KERALA STATE 1 is for the CM, 2 is for Home minister or Deputy CM or opposition leader and so on. All these cars are usually owned by the Tourism Department (or a personal car of the minister which he is using for official purpose) and they have regular numbers as well, which would be assigned the red state plates when allotted for ministerial use. The red plates and the numbers are assigned by the cabinet for all cabinet ministers. This is not really a permanent registration number of the vehicle and are just temporary plates.

Once the cars are returned to Tourism Department, these cars would revert back to their original registration numbers.

Last edited by zenren : 29th July 2014 at 23:29.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:11   #200
BHPian

zenren,
Do you know if it is only Kerala that uses these red plates or do other states do something similar?
Cheers
Cedric
Old 30th July 2014, 16:55   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabinesnubbing View Post
zenren,
Do you know if it is only Kerala that uses these red plates or do other states do something similar?
Cheers
Cedric
Not sure if Kerala is the only state doing it.

In case of AP/ TS, I know it is not the case- they use numbers from regular series. Even in KA and TN, I don't think such a special plate exist. Not sure about the remaining states but other Bhpians can probably confirm for their respective states.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2014, 17:44   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Those are the cars of the state ministers. Typically, KERALA STATE 1 is for the CM, 2 is for Home minister or Deputy CM or opposition leader and so on. They have regular numbers as well, which would be assigned the red state plates when allotted for ministerial use.
Once the cars are returned to Tourism Department, these cars would revert back to their original registration numbers.
Is it legal to use these red plates when out of the state?

I'm sure no RTO will stop them cause they have the beacon on top. Just asking.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:51   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone any idea if there was an official notification from the MH government as to the 'new' numbers and, if so, where it can be seen?
Many thanks
Cedric
Cedric, I am yet to see any number higher than MH50 on the roads...
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 22:51   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Cedric, I am yet to see any number higher than MH50 on the roads...
"MH50A5555" is a silver VW Polo TSi. I've seen MH51, that is Ahmednagar district atleast once, in Pune dist. (As is evident by my location, BYF is Poona, circa 1940's . BMY is Bombay, from the same period. )

But, yes, there was talk for an additional RTO for Pune. Wayy too many registered vehicles. "MH12LD" series, for 'em four wheelers is on the verge of getting over. In the previous one year, we have had-

"MH12KE"- August thru October 2013. "MH12KE1470" is a red Honda Brio. "KE6639" is a Punto, again red, both owned by BHPians.

"MH12KJ"- October/November thru early Jan 2014.

"MH12KT"- Early Jan 2014, thru April '14. "MH12KT1480" is a WagonR, regd in 18 Jan 2014. Owned by yours truly...!

"MH12KY"- April thru August '14. "MH12KY8250" is a Fiat Grande Punto, 90HP in silver, again BHPian owned.

"MH12LD"- August/September thru October 2014.

There you go, a hell lot of new four wheelers, within an year at that. Sure, some might be reregistered, yet, almost all cars are new. A seperate RTO is surely mandated. MH53 for Pune South i.e Kondhwa, Undri etc. The once isolated suburbs, which are now upcoming. MH54 for Pune North, which might include the cantonment and other areas such as Bopkhel, parts of Hadapsar etc.

Kindly note, that MH12 & MH14 might not get scrapped. I'm quite happy,coz I'm retaining the Pune Central regns on my vehicles, i.e MH12.

As the popular saying in Marathi goes, "Aamhi Barache!" Loosely translated, we're from 12, i.e Pune. Gotta love this place...!!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 5th October 2014 at 22:57.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2014, 09:56   #205
Senior - BHPian

As per people I know in the RTO, one RTO is to be introduced for Baner (Pune N W) and one for Hadapsar Pune (East) in addition to MH-12 MH-14 and MH-42 (Pune Rural East at Baramati). The codes are not yet allotted, but Baner is lobbying for the old Octroi post opposite Balewadi stadium and the code no MH-54.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2014, 11:32   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
"MH12KE"- August thru October 2013. "MH12KE1470" is a red Honda Brio. "KE6639" is a Punto, again red, both owned by BHPians.

"MH12KJ"- October/November thru early Jan 2014.

"MH12KT"- Early Jan 2014, thru April '14. "MH12KT1480" is a WagonR, regd in 18 Jan 2014. Owned by yours truly...!

"MH12KY"- April thru August '14. "MH12KY8250" is a Fiat Grande Punto, 90HP in silver, again BHPian owned.

"MH12LD"- August/September thru October 2014.
We received our information that our ecosport was ready for delivery on 26th Sept. That day I looked up Reg nos in the RTO and got to know that MH12LDxxxx is finishing that day itself, and next series MH12LGxxxx is starting, But due to three holidays and delayed clearing of cheques, they delevered the car on 3rd (Dassera day) but registration took place on 9th, and the entire MH12LGxxxx series was exhausted in the festive week itself, and as MH12LH is kept for Taxi series and as 'I' cannot be used in numeric series the no MH12LJ1334 was issued to us.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 07:15   #207
BHPian

I am not sure if this has already been covered. But, just a heads up for potential used car buyers in Bangalore.

For KA xx A-to-D xxxx is reserved for commercial vehicles.

I recently encountered a used car dealer that tried to pass off a Camry taxi by running it on whiteplates. Another guy that caught the D in the plate told me about this, before it was too late.
ashwin489 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2016, 07:20   #208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
I am not sure if this has already been covered. But, just a heads up for potential used car buyers in Bangalore.

For KA xx A-to-D xxxx is reserved for commercial vehicles.

I recently encountered a used car dealer that tried to pass off a Camry taxi by running it on whiteplates. Another guy that caught the D in the plate told me about this, before it was too late.
Yes, A to D & AA to AZ and so on are reserved for Commercial Registration. Whiteboard or Yellow Board doesn't matter. It's the Series that tells what type of vehicle it is.
Old 1st January 2017, 18:39   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
The codes for Goa are as follows
GA-01-North Goa
GA-02-South Goa
Both have been discontinued and now every RTO has its own Code.
GA-03-Mapusa
GA-04-Bicholim
GA-05-Ponda
GA-06-Vasco-Da-Gama
GA-07-Panjim (Capital)
GA-08-Margao
GA-09-Quepem

Normally A-S was for private vehicles and T-Z was for public. With a few exceptions of course. GA-01-Y was a private series. Usually 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers had separate series except in the first couple of years when 0001-4999 was 2 wheelers and 5000-9999 was 4 wheelers. The new series is also messed up. GA-07-F is public vehicles in Panjim and GA-03-K is public vehicles in Mapusa. F & K are supposed to be for private vehicles.

The G series is reserved for Govt. vehicles and X series for the state transport (Kadamba Transport Corporation).

The old series was GDA-GDZ. GDB & GDQ were for Daman & Diu when it was the UT of Goa, Daman & Diu. GDM & GDR were temp registrations. For a short while we have GGA,GGB,GGC,GGE,GGF,GGG &GGH.

I don't know why we can't have a uniform system all over India.
Goa has since got 3 more RTO's:
GA-10- Canacona
GA-11- Pernem
GA-12- Dharbandora

Mapusa & Margao have already started double alphabets (GA-03-AA-xxxx etc)
Old 1st January 2019, 16:17   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Link to the Registration Id Info for Delhi RTO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarai Kale Khan, New Delhi. District Zonal No. 06 (South East Delhi)

Cars

DDA, DDB, DDC, DDQ, DDV, DAD, DL-6C, DL-6CA, DL-6CB, DL-6CC, DDU, DAB.

2Wheelers

DDE, DDF, DDI, DDJ, DDK, DDN, DDO, DDP, DDW, DDX, DDY, DDZ, DAF, DAK, DAM, DAE, DAQ, DAD, DL-6S, DL-6SA, DL-6SB, DL-6SC, DL-6SD, DAB.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any Idea about this car number plate? It was spotted today in Delhi

Last edited by SDP : 1st January 2019 at 18:56. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks