Team-BHP - When will smart car come in India?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   When will smart car come in India? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/55254-when-will-smart-car-come-india.html)

Does anyone has any knowledge about as in when will Daimler chyrisler smart car launch in India am in love with the car after my trip abroad.And want to own one anyhow??

Import it. It will be too expensive, too impractical for India and most probably will not be launched here. If you really want a cute small car - Be desi, buy Nano. Upgrade.

The Smart doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me. It's small alright but not particularly fuel efficient for its size, costs as much as a Honda Jazz and is made of plastic/fiberglass bits.

India has a lot of options for small cars - the Smart doesn't stand a chance in this market. Abroad, especially in North America, it's a novelty because they've never thought small.

Here I would buy a top-end i10 Auto with all the safety features for 1/2 or 1/3rd the money. But if you really want to make a statement, the Fiat 500 is an option.

I had to pay 7.00 lacs as customs duty on the Smart-CDI. +registration+local taxes/octroi etc Total cost of the car worked out to 13.50 lacs in 2005 !!
At these costs they would probably be able to sell 50 cars a year like the Fiat-500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby05 (Post 1218576)
I had to pay 7.00 lacs as customs duty on the Smart-CDI. +registration+local taxes/octroi etc Total cost of the car worked out to 13.50 lacs in 2005 !!
At these costs they would probably be able to sell 50 cars a year like the Fiat-500.

That a lot for the midget of a car ! You still have the car? How was/ is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooby05 (Post 1218576)

Wow! so we have a smart owner on T-Bhp! Awesome! Any pics? What color is it? And, what are people's reaction to the little car?

Yes i still have the car, and its very well. Not in use for 2 years now, since my Daughter got married. She is yellow/red with black frame. Also have a white body kit, but have not replaced. She would give an average of 25+kmpl in city, and once when we took her to lonavala she gave 35. Though tank is just 15litres. She is a 800 CDI 3 cylinder. Snaps have appeared on Tbhp in 2006/07 when my Daughter used to drive her to work everyday.

Even if Smart comes to India, it will be a "statement" car (like the Fiat 500) and not one that will appeal to the masses.

cheers

25kmpl for city usage????

My favorite of the smart cars is the roadster:

When will smart car come in India?-smart_roadsterc_031024.jpg

Source.

Smart car means, It can automatically adjust car direction, speed, brakes, parking etc.

So, that driver can literally sleep.

Well....... Near too impossible in India (It can not adjust according to auto rickshaws & insane paddlers!!)

The Smart's 1-liter, 3 cylinder, 70 bhp, gasoline engine gives 33 mpg in the city and 41 on the highway - that is Honda City territory in terms of FE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by StarScream (Post 1218564)
The Smart doesn't make a lot of sense, at least to me. It's small alright but not particularly fuel efficient for its size,

It is quite fuel-efficient. And packed quite a decent punch too!

Quote:

costs as much as a Honda Jazz and is made of plastic/fiberglass bits.

It has a few plastic bits, but that frame is as tough as any other. Tougher than the Honda, probably.

Quote:

India has a lot of options for small cars - the Smart doesn't stand a chance in this market. Abroad, especially in North America, it's a novelty because they've never thought small.

True. With 2 seats and space for a suitcase in the back, it isnt terribly practical as a family car. For a single or a DINK couple, it is actually quite practical.

Quote:

Here I would buy a top-end i10 Auto with all the safety features for 1/2 or 1/3rd the money.

After all duties, probably 1/4th.

Quote:

But if you really want to make a statement, the Fiat 500 is an option.

Hate to say this, but my Smartie would've left the 1.3 MJD 500 standing still in the city and would've looked a lot cooler too. It would run out of breath by 130or so, though - there's only so much that forced induction can do on 700cc or so.

how about the toyota iGO.. looks very nice indeed, although dont know if its available yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1219029)
It is quite fuel-efficient. And packed quite a decent punch

See my second post - I was referring to the petrol 1 liter engine - 33/41 mpg.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinaydas (Post 1219034)
how about the toyota iGO.. looks very nice indeed, although dont know if its available yet.

do u mean to say Toyota I-Q...Its available (atleast here in Europe)...took the pics last week during its inaguration.

Sorry being OT.
When will smart car come in India?-dsc00040.jpg

When will smart car come in India?-dsc00041.jpg

When will smart car come in India?-dsc00042.jpg