Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2016, 12:56   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: 2016 JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

Tata above average!? That is one way of reading it

They are at second place, and difference between their score and topper is just 3 points. This is how I read it

Good job Tata!

Last edited by Latheesh : 28th October 2016 at 12:58.
Latheesh is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:04   #227
Team-BHP Support

Re: JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tata above average!? That is one way of reading it. They are at second place, and difference between their score and topper is just 3 points. This is how I read it
There are many ways to read this.

From personal experience, I can say that Honda executives beg, (Eg: Please Sir) call you up frequently and request you to give "10 out of 10" ratings when JD people call up.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:29   #228
BHPian

Re: 2016 JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

J D Power's for-the-wider-public 'rankings' are imo unreliable, and very pseudo-scientific, since the survey methodology with no independent participatory observation is much too replete with subjective factors, 'cultural expectation' factors, confirmation/etc biases, adverse selection of survey participants and their answers, sampling errors, statistical insignificance, etc, imo.

The wide discrepencies between, for example, J D Power survey results for different European countries despite the cars being the very same, and literally built in the same plant, by the same suppliers and with the same suppliers, etc, across the different European markets, reveals starkly the heavily cultural/perception-centric nature of the J D Power methodology (survey based.) Especially since the truly 'factual' data about warranty and repair+recall frequency and costs, for example, is too-often rather-out-of-phase with their survey results (at least in the usa and europe.)

However, their real granular , detailed research based (i.e., not-only-survey-centric) data series and analyses is or may be different and much better, given that they are paid-for and in-demand by (or perhaps helplessly extracted from??) the automakers, and are not a percieved-quality PR and market-building-rather-than-research exercize?

In fact, they usually caveat their public, self-promoting-as-statistical-authorities press releases, at least abroad, in fine footnoted print of course, with the disclaimer that their data 'MAY not be statistically significant' !

Beyond, that is, the broad trend of broad, industry-wide, multi-firm improvements in aftersales 'percieved and felt satisfaction' for several years in a row now in India?
desdemona is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:29   #229
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 JD Power Survey Surprises: Honda Tops, Tata Above Avg, Toyota Below Avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tata above average!? That is one way of reading it

They are at second place, and difference between their score and topper is just 3 points. This is how I read it

Good job Tata!
13, Latheesh.

Good to see Tata up the ladder.
discoverwild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:44   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
13, Latheesh.

Good to see Tata up the ladder.
Thanks, difference is 13
Old 28th October 2016, 13:46   #231
BHPian

Wow. Couldn't be more happier to see where TATA is. This probably has come out at a really good time when the Hexa launch is just w a few months away. Should aid the Hexa sales to some extent. Also surprised to see Renault at the bottom.

While they have given the sample size, they have not given anything based on the city or the car type (commercial/personal) I could be wrong but these could also play a major role in the overall score

BTW OT, the thread title says Honda tops, but Honda and MS have the same score and are at par. Ideally it should be Honda, MS top
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 13:58   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

This is quite a shocker - Honda at no. 1, and Toyota below average: this is in sharp contrast to what we keep on reading on this forum.
Were the city users ignored during the surveys (given the high level of niggles)? Same for the Etios owners (who swear by the car irrespective of it's cost cutting)? Maybe Honda users have more experience at service centers off late

But on a more serious note - it is great to see Tata right up there with Hyundai and Maruti; and Mahindra not too far behind! Kudos to these indian manufacturers!
Not so surprising are the last four on the list though - a common complaint and a big deterrent to sales - irrespective of the campaigns they keep on rolling out to improve their brand and servicing.

Last edited by lamborghini : 28th October 2016 at 14:01.
Old 28th October 2016, 14:56   #233
BHPian

Am I missing something?
Is the 'bottom' of the list missing?
For example, I do not see Skoda.
OR is it from a 'different' category - different from 'mass market'? Then how come VW is included?
I am really confused.

Girish Mahajan
Old 28th October 2016, 14:57   #234
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
J D Power's for-the-wider-public 'rankings' are imo unreliable, and very pseudo-scientific, since the survey methodology with no independent participatory observation is much too replete with subjective factors, 'cultural expectation' factors, confirmation/etc biases, adverse selection of survey participants and their answers, sampling errors, statistical insignificance, etc, imo.
I have to agree. I have been noticing this over 20 years. The J D Power's is the most wacky car survey in the world. After the first few years, I concluded they are using rune sticks or study chicken entrails to pick their survey samples. The results reflect the methodology, every year.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 15:17   #235
Team-BHP Support

I have given my Maruti, Honda, Tata and Chevrolet for servicing over the past 12 years, and this is my list -

1) Maruti (way ahead)
2) Honda ( pretty decent, never really had a bad experience, but depends on the enthusiasm of service advisor)
3) Tata ( not good, not bad. OK experience with both service and car)
4) Chevrolet (Not good. Poor attention to detail, breakdowns because of carelessness etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
For example, I do not see Skoda. OR is it from a 'different' category - different from 'mass market'? Then how come VW is included?
Small sample size perhaps? Perhaps they did not get enough Skoda customers to talk to.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 15:36   #236
BHPian

I feel if they want to make the survey more relevant, take in say 100 owners of a particular manufacturer from every city/state and then do the sampling. Like mentioned by others too, the methodology used to survey seems inefficient IMHO
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 15:49   #237
Senior - BHPian

This is just the after sales service satisfaction for new cars, nothing too great, given that there are a lot of pleasantries shown by the sales folks in the initial days, when hardly anything goes wrong with the vehicles as such.

The real story starts to settle-in once that magical initial period passes by. After that, a few smiles, courtesy calls and superficial feel good measures don't hold much value.

I would rather be curious if the "Vehicle Dependability Survey" (Which actually provides an indication to the long term reliability) results are in sync with the results of this survey.
1100D is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:12   #238
Senior - BHPian

Just a thought - why does Team BHP not come out with a reliability or satisfaction index? It would be the most believable and genuine. And its well positioned to construct one.
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:16   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
4) Chevrolet (Not good. Poor attention to detail, breakdowns because of carelessness etc)
Agree. After Chevrolet A.S.S experience everything else is just great.
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2016, 16:18   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Just a thought - why does Team BHP not come out with a reliability or satisfaction index? It would be the most believable and genuine. And its well positioned to construct one.
Wouldn't the sample size be too small considering that we are taking only the feedback/survey from the members. Results can be skewed based on the sample of the forum. The survey would need to across multiple demographics to understand and exclude the outliers.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks