Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 19:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
First of all I wish to say we dont care what goes on in US (just like US dont care what goes on in India) There are hundreds of great countries in the world. It is time that you think on your own terms and not rely -or- be "mental slave" of another country which is encouraged due to excessive marketing of culture and propoganda in our country through Cable TV.

As a random example, people in France may buy their national brands like Peugeot or Renault - They dont give a DAMN what US public thinks about Honda/Toyota. Comon! Be brave, be tough, be independent - who are you scared of?

On this note, i would like to clarify that Toyota/Honda (Nissan included) are NOT considered "cheap" cars in the US. Even rich people buy Toyota/Hondas in US, as opposed to VW, which has average reputation in US.

I have spent enough number of years in this country to understand this reality.

Even if i am wrong, even if it is true that Honda/Toyota are considered Cheap in US, is not going to prevent me from believing and buying what i want to buy. We, here in India will buy cars that works for India....

Top Post

I also dont understand this cheap/rich brand concept. Just go for what works 4 u!
Old 26th March 2009, 20:45   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Support has been ok at the dealer to whom I go. (JMD) Actually been quite good, except being made to wait a bit longer on a few occations, its been fine.

Why good service: Got a car drop home on a few occations, Car was polished or interiors cleaned (polished) on a few occations at no charge. The service advisors were polite even as I got very Irate, and the work was complete normally on the commited time / date.
ACM - You are right. JMD is one of the best. Gullubhai, son Drupad and staff are good people. Helped me during my ordeal. I understand their help could be only up to a point for obvious reasons.
Old 26th March 2009, 22:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Skoda just announced the a new small car would Maintenance is heavy- The car itself, has required 30K of routine servicing cost per year for (25K kms that I do per year), (for newer version servince is once in 10k kms so the cost will be lesser)
I have got the 3 years 50K Kms all inclusive (service, labor, consumables, washing, filters etc.) scheduled maintenance for 11,111 which I think was a good deal to have. This coupled with the recent report I saw on the ACI regarding the reduction in spares costs on Laura over the previous year makes me believe that the things are moving in the right direction as far as the maintenance costs are concerned.

The remaining issue is the honesty or the lack of it of the dealers concerned which Im sure will also be taken care of with the huge issues surfacing in public domain.
Want to call me a chronic optimist,

Cheers!

Danc
Old 28th March 2009, 00:50   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max View Post
My friend told me it cost more then rs. 60,000 per year to maintain skoda cars (average in 3-5 years), assuming car is running 15,000 kms per year, if you take that money into consideration maintenance cost of running skoda car is rs.4/kms, imagine what it would cost to run it for 3-4 lakhs kms? It will be like almost buying a new car.

Also, you must not compare europian roads with indian roads, Indian roads are 10 time worst then europian roads, no car can last 4-5 lakhs kms here.
I was just telling the facts. skoda octavia's are actually being used in some countries as Taxis and you will see many of them crossed 4-5 lakh kms. apparently its a common sight in those countries. maybe when the running is so high, skoda makes sense as it gives fantastic average and comparatively the maintenance might be less to other cars in those countries since for them maybe skoda is like local brand. just like our Premier Padmini and Ambasador Taxis.

and I have not compared european roads with ours in any which way! and it might be possible to drive 4-5 lakh kms.. who knows?! as I have myself seen many Maruti Omnis in north used as Taxis with around 1-1.5 lakh kms covered and still running pretty perfectly and in reasonable condition. I myself had hired a Taxi about a year back on my trip to Mussourie which had covered about 1,45,000 kms! and it was still running perfectly and had decent pickup and everything as Mussourie has many hills and it was doing pretty fine with 5 people and good amount of luggage!

and so If a maruti omni, which is the cheapest car available in india and also has a body which is almost like tin foil, can do it well for 1.5 lakh kms and still going strong.. I believe a better and a more sturdy car might just cover 5 lakh kms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
FYI the diesel Superb should be in showrooms very soon, dealers are already stocking them.

It also happens in Europe
Germany, the UK, Russia and many more countries offer the old Octavia along with the current (Laura).

And to be clear, I am in no way condoning the current behaviour of the company with some customers.
Thats good to know that skoda is going to come out with diesel soon! I didnt knew about 2 gens of octavia's being sold in other countries as well. that news will not make us feel left out and the only ones out there I guess..

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
First of all I wish to say we dont care what goes on in US (just like US dont care what goes on in India) There are hundreds of great countries in the world. It is time that you think on your own terms and not rely -or- be "mental slave" of another country which is encouraged due to excessive marketing of culture and propoganda in our country through Cable TV.

As a random example, people in France may buy their national brands like Peugeot or Renault - They dont give a DAMN what US public thinks about Honda/Toyota. Comon! Be brave, be tough, be independent - who are you scared of?

On this note, i would like to clarify that Toyota/Honda (Nissan included) are NOT considered "cheap" cars in the US. Even rich people buy Toyota/Hondas in US, as opposed to VW, which has average reputation in US.

I have spent enough number of years in this country to understand this reality.

Even if i am wrong, even if it is true that Honda/Toyota are considered Cheap in US, is not going to prevent me from believing and buying what i want to buy. We, here in India will buy cars that works for India....
Please read the previous posts to know the whole story. dont just jump to conclusion without knowing the whole picture. I was just replying to Gagan, post no. 2 of this thread. as he said that skoda "A cheap brand abroad being sold as premium here. And they are living up to their "cheap" image" and that Honda and Toyota has a snob value here. so I was just giving him an example of US. that despite of honda's and toyota's cheap image in US, we still dont consider them cheap. we think of them as reputed brand and also kind of status symbol brand. so skoda should also not be considered "cheap" just because of its image in any other country. as I myself dont care whether skoda or any other brand has what kind of image in any other country. we will buy what our need is and what appeals us.

some cars by some brands are considered cheap in some countries. it is a fact which we cannot deny. and in US hondas and toyotas are considered as cheap cars, as they are available at the price of Getz, swift etc. and rich people might still be buying them just like many rich people buy swift, Getz etc here for everyday use. but that does not make any brand a lesser brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
I have got the 3 years 50K Kms all inclusive (service, labor, consumables, washing, filters etc.) scheduled maintenance for 11,111 which I think was a good deal to have. This coupled with the recent report I saw on the ACI regarding the reduction in spares costs on Laura over the previous year makes me believe that the things are moving in the right direction as far as the maintenance costs are concerned.

The remaining issue is the honesty or the lack of it of the dealers concerned which Im sure will also be taken care of with the huge issues surfacing in public domain.
Want to call me a chronic optimist,
well I too hope, just like you, that skoda really solves all issues it has at present with A.S.S., spares costs etc. because I somehow still like the brand and would love to own a skoda if they sort out its issues. love that tank like built and frugal and powerful engines!
Old 28th March 2009, 09:05   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda motors seems to be doing almost everything right all of a sudden. ....

Quote:
I think that skoda guys have made their intentions very clear
Very true. They couldn't do any better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
making a car cheap to buy is another thing, but Skoda rewrites the books when it comes to maintenance of their cars. skodas are the most expensive to run and fix! and God help you if you blow something!
he he. We can now add costs like legal notices, court fees to that
Old 28th March 2009, 09:36   #36
BHPian

It seems Skoda cars are like white elephants!
Old 28th March 2009, 12:11   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

Very true. They couldn't do any better.

he he. We can now add costs like legal notices, court fees to that
Haha

Skoda might as well not launch this car after what happened. Spend some more time on management of the company before launches.
Old 28th March 2009, 15:51   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The soon to be launched facelifted Skoda Laura
With the way Skoda are losing face they definitely need a facelift. Not a new car, the whole company needs a facelift.
Old 28th March 2009, 16:32   #39
BHPian

haha a new laura, haha, they need a new PR too!
Old 28th March 2009, 16:36   #40
BHPian

One thing is for sure. Nobody can instigate me to buy a Skoda..
Old 28th March 2009, 17:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Knowing Skoda they may launch the new Laura as an entirely new car.

We may have three versions of the Octavia - Skoda Octavia, Skoda Laura and Skoda Flora.
Old 28th March 2009, 17:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
With the way Skoda are losing face they definitely need a facelift. Not a new car, the whole company needs a facelift.
, +1 to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post

We may have three versions of the Octavia - Skoda Octavia, Skoda Laura and Skoda Flora.
...lol
Old 28th March 2009, 18:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:

Flora LMAO. i'm jumping on my seat.. my stomach's hurting, laughing uncontrollably... But that attitude is what Skoda has got itself reduced to in India, a joke!

Last edited by anilkalvani : 28th March 2009 at 18:48.
Old 28th March 2009, 19:52   #44
BHPian

In my circle of family and friends, I am the one people turn to on car advice. I have sent an email message to everybody I know in India advising them to not purchase Skoda cars.

Firstly, I consider it disgraceful that while Honda is selling the latest Civic in India, VW is selling a 13 year old model, and even the new Laura is a 5+ year old model based on the Golf Mk 5 platform, when the Golf Mk 6 is due to be introduced in Europe this year.

Secondly, I would accept that the VAG cars do indeed have an advantage of their germanic feel in the ride, steering, handling, interior (please, its not a czech car), which is certainly different, and for many, more pleasurable, than the Japanese cars, so selling dated platforms in India would be acceptable if they were atleast backed by the level of service quality that these cars, which are well established as being poor in reliability (all the studies in many countries established that).

So, in effect, they are selling unreliable cars built on dated platforms and not providing the service quality to compensate for the lack of reliability and the expense.

Instead they come onto this forum and make legal threats against the forum and the members in an attempt to stop them discussing allegations of corruption and criminal activities by their employees and dealers.

I sure as heck am going to advise everybody against buying a Skoda in India.
Old 28th March 2009, 21:50   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Flora LMAO. i'm jumping on my seat.. my stomach's hurting, laughing uncontrollably... But that attitude is what Skoda has got itself reduced to in India, a joke!

all I can do is..

Skoda.. please take this seriously if you are reading this.. look at whats happening to the image of skoda.. Please act before its too late and work on your flaws and start giving results..and restore the faith of people again. and you will see that we Indians are also the very forgiving types.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks