Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2009, 07:32   #31
Senior - BHPian

If Nano, even with Ratan Tata's statement that refinement (and not quality) has been given a go-by, stands the test of the consumer and does not start falling off majorly, then I believe we have a winner. Looking at its closest competition (or lack of it) based on price vs feature, this is a sure success formulae.

Recollect that the first batch of Indica, where parts were falling off the vehicle and people not having a clue as to where it is supposed to be! Regardless of that, it went on to become a favorite.

Time will tell...
Old 24th March 2009, 07:51   #32
BHPian

Congratulations to Ratan Tata. For his sheer passion and dedication. I wish this car with drive all the other out dated and dead meat (M800) off the road. Now, that we have a decent looking car with great expectations, it is time we build infrastructure to accomodate all these on our roads, which are already chocked.
Old 24th March 2009, 07:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

I'm still not convinced. For example, the wheel bearings on the nano are rated at 70kmph. If you go any faster , they'll wear out soon.

Seems like their service centers are gonna be minting money on the nano.
Old 24th March 2009, 08:20   #34
BHPian

yesterday while seeing the Test drive on one of the Autoshows they said the Nano sounds like a AutoRickshaw, the fireing and feel. Any idea when they gonna give TD for the common public?
Old 24th March 2009, 08:24   #35
BANNED

Initially I was brouhaha over this Nano but when it is about to get out on the roads I don't feel the same. I think people will be little disappointed when they actually sit in one and drive the car. I have a strong feeling that this euphoria will last for may be a couple of years and this car will die a slow death and guess what, M800 sales might pick up!
Old 24th March 2009, 08:28   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hmmm... another way to look at it is the difference percentage. The M800 costs almost 21% more than the top end Nano.

For a car with just 100cc less than its nearest rival but which is more spacious, comfortable and modern with some extras (PS, PW-front) I believe there will be a good many people who may find that 21% lesser price to pay a good enough bet for the top end Nano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anshu_46 View Post
But aren't the price's mentioned only model wise without any emphasis on features. No 800 variant has either power steering or power windows. Taking the features offered in the top end Nano and its price even against the base 800 gives Nano the advantage doesn't it.
For a car not so capable on highways, strictly for city use ( 15 ltr. tank can also act as limitation for highway outings ), a two cylinder engine, I dont think that power steering is going to help.
Yes, the comfort features are not there in 800, but are they necessary ? Why not a better powertrain ?

I think that wait and watch is what will prove the Nano as a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I'm still not convinced. For example, the wheel bearings on the nano are rated at 70kmph. If you go any faster , they'll wear out soon.

I dont know from where you got this information, but if this is true, it horrible on Tata's part to compromise so much.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I dont know from where you got this information, but if this is true, it horrible on Tata's part to compromise so much.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/08/bu...8indiacar.html
Quote:
To save $10, Tata engineers redesigned the suspension to eliminate actuators in the headlights, the levelers that adjust the angle of the beam depending on how the car is loaded, according to Mr. Chaturvedi of Lumax. In lieu of the solid steel beam that typically connects steering wheels to axles, one supplier, Sona Koyo Steering Systems, used a hollow tube, said Kiran Deshmukh, the chief operating officer of the company, which is based in Delhi.
Tata chose wheel bearings that are strong enough to drive the car up to 45 miles an hour, but they will wear quickly above that speed, reducing the car’s life span but not threatening consumer safety, according to Mr. Taneja.
Old 24th March 2009, 09:43   #38
BHPian

Quote:
But this kind of adjustments are true with many cars released in India. For example, I personally know difference in tolerance between export and local models for some manufacturers. It hardly matters if it is judiciously done.

Take any car under 5 lakhs and drive it at top speed all day long. You will soon have trouble there. Its the same in a way for the Nano I think. If somebody buys it to drive above 75 kmph all day long, he is in the wrong car. Paying 1.5 lakhs for a brand new car what did he expect?

I would suggest that lets enjoy what they achieved rather than finding the old bolt which is not good.
Old 24th March 2009, 10:02   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Top end Nano price is bit steep, I felt same thing but TATA has to make some profit. So its good pricing.

Nano is typical Indian people's car who would like to start travelling 4 wheeler. I appreciate the concept. It would best first brand new car for person who cant afford M800 but still want to own brandnew 4 wheeler. Lets give taste of 4 wheeler to everyone in India, thats how India shines one day! GOOD MOVE. This would help bring decipline level in india to better standards.

Its exactly like how AirDeccan started its service in the begining.

Ravi.
--And look what happened to Air Deccan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_alaap View Post
TV review said, Nano diesel will be available within a year.

It will be interesting to have pricing for that.
It'll also be interesting to see whether the NVH levels will remain tolerable, or will degrade to autorickshaw standards. Have you seen how the diesel Piaggio Ape rickshaws shudder with engine vibration at rest?

Quote:

No problem there-- you'll hardly be able to go faster than 70 anyway I hope this car doesn't become a slow-moving impediment to fast-flowing traffic like our underpowered passenger and especially cargo autorickshaws are (every time I see a cargo autorickshaw in the distance ahead, I change lanes and mentally throttle the driver as I finally slip past it).
Old 24th March 2009, 10:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

people say they've seen the car do 105. So I guess the engine can. Question is , can the rest of the car ?
Old 24th March 2009, 10:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Prices are little higher than expected, if i have to go for top end variant i will prefer M800 anyday over it. Maybe diesel will change the game , i think they should have launched the petrol and diesel together as tata mostly do
Old 24th March 2009, 10:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post

Take any car under 5 lakhs and drive it at top speed all day long. You will soon have trouble there.
I know at least about Alto that could withstand 24 hrs @ 125 kmph.

domain-b.com : JK Tyre, Maruti excel in test

I am not comparing Nano and Alto. Just a comment on the note above. about capability to withstand high speed

Regards
Sanjeev
Old 24th March 2009, 12:32   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapezio View Post
...Take any car under 5 lakhs and drive it at top speed all day long. You will soon have trouble there. Its the same in a way for the Nano I think. If somebody buys it to drive above 75 kmph all day long, he is in the wrong car. Paying 1.5 lakhs for a brand new car what did he expect?...
Even though I do not agree with the first statement, about under 5 lakhs car and top speed, I do agree with the other statement. If someone is looking at high speed runs, then they should not be looking at Nano.
Old 24th March 2009, 13:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

An excerpt from the Economic Times article comparing the Maruti 800 launch with the Tata Nano's:
The Nano is an impressive engineering feat, but it should be noted that it is hardly the only car to be dreamed up by Indian auto experts. Some of the many indigenously developed, or adapted models, made it to market, like the Standard2000 or the Sipani’s Dolphin. Others remained prototypes like the HAL car, rather surprisingly developed by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited, or many examples of electric cars or those meant for alternate fuels. They may not have succeeded, yet their spirit of invention has perhaps found fruition in the Nano, and as a tribute we have created a gallery India's first indigenous luxury car To know more click here.

Other than the ridiculous references to the Standard 2000 or the Sipani Dolphin being 'adapted models' for India, whats this HAL CAR they're talking about????
Old 24th March 2009, 14:09   #45
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Of course we would have to see how it performs in the market, but my gut feal is that it is actually a much better looking, practical, safer than either the 800 or the alto.

Also the heart goes out for TATA - an India company vs
Maruti - which is majorly owned by sujuki and hence no longer India, The Govt. stake no longer exists.

TATA has a big one on its hands this time, and it could take India global with this (Eurpa nano), the Indica Vista and the Indigo Vista.

Most Viewed