Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2009, 00:41   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
To compensate the left ORVM, I have fitted a longer 12 inch Panoramic clip on mirror (chinese stuff availabe in most shops). This gives a complete wider view of the back including more left side area than a normal left ORVM can cover and the best part is, you dont have to look to the extreme left mirror, just glance above the steering and you are clear.
Is that the internal rear view mirror? If it is, it's car specific(in the sense good in some not effective in others). Place it in a swift, and you would get a nice view of your c-pillars!
Old 29th March 2009, 11:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
I've seen many dzires with parking sensors, I guess like sx4 it has blind spots.

Since you are new to driving, buy parking sensors, not very costly and a great help for new drivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My first response to that idea is never mind the sensors, learn to do it properly!

My second response is, hey! the technology is there to make life easy for us, so we might as well use it!
I've never used parking sensors-- do people find them useful and worth the money? Can their warning distance be adjusted (beep type sensors)?

Couldn't find a dedicated parking sensor use thread.
Old 29th March 2009, 12:44   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

When the salesman tried to get me to include them on the extras list for a Swift I just said, "but I can drive!"*

A relative's big Audi in UK has them, on all four sides. I guess he finds it useful. I certainly might during the period of getting used to a big car. I wouldn't pay to have them added to a small car.

The next thing on the salesman's list was the reversing camera. Now, that's neat, and if I hadn't been keeping the price down, I might have fallen for that! Still, not justifiable for a small hatchback, but wanting a neat gadget is not necessarily anything to do with justification

*I guess that if the same man saw my current crop of dents and scratches, he might ask, "Are you sure?"!
Old 29th March 2009, 13:39   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post

This is the thread you need to see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ra-sensor.html
Old 29th March 2009, 14:13   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perakath View Post
I've never used parking sensors-- do people find them useful and worth the money? Can their warning distance be adjusted (beep type sensors)?

Well for some cars that have blind spots like SX4, and knowing our roads where there are poles and rocks lying everywhere on the sides, it can be easy to just dent or scratch your car while reversing.

So parking sensors are useful and a cheap alternative to cameras which can be very pricey. Like around 10k for cameras while you can get a set of sensors for like 3k-5k. Some also some with a little screen bt are still cheaper than cameras and do the job.

Last edited by Gagan.js : 29th March 2009 at 14:15.
Old 29th March 2009, 22:54   #36
Senior - BHPian

Did some trials in reversing last week and took some pictures. (Nope I don't have a fetish for that (reversing) just a good thing to start with !!)

Pic 1 - the lower sill of my rear windshield coincides with the lower edge of the front windshield of the car behind. At this point the cars are separated by around 1 foot.

Pic 2 - I've used the part of the rear windshield sill that juts up as reference.(marked with red) At this point around 2 -3 feet separate the two cars.

This helps me not only while reversing but also while getting out of a tight spot.

@gagan.js- perhaps you can work on something similar to use as references for your car. But be sure to share em with us!! Pics would be loved. As for parking sensors I was not a real fan of them...some how takes away the pleasure of a neat move.

As has been mentioned in a couple of posts - yes gut feel is ultimately what we rely on, but after we've picked up some driving experience. References (haven't got a better word) help new drivers and old drivers in new cars (ME!!) as a surefire way of avoiding learning the hard way!! And I think you can always fall back on technique when you're have a tough day!!

@shajufx - methinks you've got a few pointers to share with us regarding your father-in-law's overtaking techniques!!

Drive on!!
Shibu.
Attached Thumbnails
Reference Points - While driving and parking-reverse.jpg  

Reference Points - While driving and parking-reverse_big.jpg  

Last edited by shibujp : 29th March 2009 at 22:57.
Old 3rd April 2009, 00:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
To compensate the left ORVM, I have fitted a longer 12 inch Panoramic clip on mirror (chinese stuff availabe in most shops). This gives a complete wider view of the back including more left side area than a normal left ORVM can cover and the best part is, you dont have to look to the extreme left mirror, just glance above the steering and you are clear.
@shajufx
A couple of questions:
- Does this mirror affect one's ability to judge distances? I think the normal rvm is flat but his one is convex?
- Does this mirror cause glare from headlights of vehicles behind?

Thanks!
Old 4th April 2009, 16:39   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Pic 2 - I've used the part of the rear windshield sill that juts up as reference.(marked with red) At this point around 2 -3 feet separate the two cars.

Shibu, no offense mate, your description (especially the ones in Bold) raised my eyebrows...but when I saw the pic, I totally lost it!

The Santro looks like a female and the Swift a butch male!

Sorry for going OT, must be all the weekend booze!
Old 4th April 2009, 21:18   #39
BHPian

The first car I bought was a Swift. I had just practised 10 days on a M800. First month on swift was fine. Then I started realizing the kind of close calls I was having because of blind spots. However with around 3 years of experience on that car, things are better now.
Only peculiar thing is that with all my driving experience on swift, I am so used to use the two side ORVMs that I rarely feel the need of looking at the internal RVM (which is almost useless for swift except in some reversing situations). Now in case I have to drive a car without left ORVM I find it difficult to drive the car. I would even go to the extent of saying that I am unable to drive a car without left ORVM. However I have seen some people drive swift with both ORVMs closed.
I am just wondering how people do this and am I handicapping my driving too much with this.
Old 6th April 2009, 10:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post

Shibu, no offense mate, your description (especially the ones in Bold) raised my eyebrows...but when I saw the pic, I totally lost it!

The Santro looks like a female and the Swift a butch male!

Sorry for going OT, must be all the weekend booze!
- now you go and put a entirely new perspective on things!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2anand View Post
The first car I bought was a Swift. I had just practised 10 days on a M800. First month on swift was fine. Then I started realizing the kind of close calls I was having because of blind spots. However with around 3 years of experience on that car, things are better now.
Only peculiar thing is that with all my driving experience on swift, I am so used to use the two side ORVMs that I rarely feel the need of looking at the internal RVM (which is almost useless for swift except in some reversing situations). Now in case I have to drive a car without left ORVM I find it difficult to drive the car. I would even go to the extent of saying that I am unable to drive a car without left ORVM. However I have seen some people drive swift with both ORVMs closed.
I am just wondering how people do this and am I handicapping my driving too much with this.
I am unable to drive a car without the internal RVM. The lack of it makes me feel very nervous about the obstacles that may be around me. As far as driving with just the ORVMs - i don't think I can manage with that given the following points:

- I used the left ORVM to judge the clearance of my left rear wheel arches. Learnt the hard way that they stick out from the sides.
- At night the ORVMs of the Swift reflect light from cars behind like hell. I don't use tints on my car so that makes things worse.
- I think that using the IRVM frees up the ORVMs to extend the range of your rear view.

Drive on!!
Shibu.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2009 at 19:31. Reason: Merged on request. Multi-quote is the way to go! See the Team-BHP FAQ for details. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks