Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2009, 22:35   #61
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a Civic hatch.It should have more street cred than the sedan.Especialy the European version!
Old 26th March 2009, 23:16   #62
abk
BHPian

My first car: A sedan (OHC II)
My second car: A hatch (Santro)
Prospective 3rd: An SUV (Safari)

If i were to buy my first two cars again, the order will be the same. Hatch will follow Sedan. There are practical issues with sedan as compared to a hatch like parking, FE, vulnerability to nicks and scratches. However, I do not wear clothes just to cover my body either

I am immature
Old 26th March 2009, 23:21   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
.The Ikon well...it should R.I.P.
My Friend, would recomend driving an Ikon, especially the Diesel one. It may be 2 generations old but still packs quite a punch.

Whats wrong if an old gen car is sold at a lower price. Me, for one, would love Merc to offer an older gen E-class, even if I had the money.

One of the most confusing aspects of this thread is that it pre-concludes that sedan buyers in India are immature.

Do we have a market wise breakup of the percentage of each body styles that rule other so called "mature" markets.

If anyone says Europe, I will ask them to look at the premium segment only, where Mercs and BMW's rule. Those are the cars people "desire" there. But not everyone can afford them. Moreover "family" setups are completely different (sometimes, which does not necessitate much more than the front two seats only).

As for my Small sedan, well every bit of it is used up, and I can't even think of how a hatch can suffice. I am not an exception in our circle of relatives.

Oh one more thing, how many of these "premium" hatches are selling in comparison to the "entry" level "obselete" Sedans to pass a judgement.

Last edited by 1100D : 26th March 2009 at 23:25.
Old 27th March 2009, 00:04   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Its just a lot more options being available now. India - being a family-oriented country, will always need a sedan.
Old 27th March 2009, 08:55   #65
BHPian

An interesting incident which gives a good idea about the topic being discussed:
One of my friends just returned from abroad and was looking for a new car. His choice were clear, he wanted a hatch for ease of city driving, parking etc and also an automatic for obvious reasons. i10 was his only option and the cost was going to 5.5 lacs. Within a few days of making his choice, he was harassed so much that he got depressed. Everyone from family, friends, relatives etc were giving him options how "better" he can spend his 5.5 lacs.

Comments like - if I were you, I would go for Value for money or hatch is only for rich people who want to throw their money or hatch is not a status symbol and sedan is or automatic is only for ladies
And so on..

This actually made me wonder that majority of the folks have still not changed much
Old 27th March 2009, 10:05   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
An interesting incident which gives a good idea about the topic being discussed:
One of my friends just returned from abroad and was looking for a new car. His choice were clear, he wanted a hatch for ease of city driving, parking etc and also an automatic for obvious reasons. i10 was his only option and the cost was going to 5.5 lacs. Within a few days of making his choice, he was harassed so much that he got depressed. Everyone from family, friends, relatives etc were giving him options how "better" he can spend his 5.5 lacs.

Comments like - if I were you, I would go for Value for money or hatch is only for rich people who want to throw their money or hatch is not a status symbol and sedan is or automatic is only for ladies
And so on..

This actually made me wonder that majority of the folks have still not changed much
Is he spending his own for the car or the money of his family, friends, relatives etc?

And in any case the sedans available in india below 10 lakh price as all just hatches with a boot (I mean in terms of usable space inside).
Old 27th March 2009, 12:21   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meer View Post
And so on..

Exactly the same thing happened with me, last night met a guy from my building in the lift and we got talking, told him i booked an i10 a/t and am selling my viva he was like for a moment. Then said, what's wrong, is business down? I said, touchwood, could'nt be better. So he said, "Toh Accent se aur badi gadi kyon nahin li?" (Then why didn't you buy a bigger car than the Accent). Again i began explaining him 4.2 to 3.5m etc. but he thought i'm stupid to buy a 'small' car.

This is the mentality i was talking about,which will be hard to change.
Old 27th March 2009, 13:19   #68
Senior - BHPian

The prestige and snob value are always attached to Sedans, of course.. It's like you have a sedan, you have arrived! Maybe the next generation would be more practical in their choices..
Old 27th March 2009, 13:33   #69
BHPian

Still it's a long way, till the Indian's would be over the Sedan Mania!

No matter how god the Hatch is, My father still say "after all its a small car". Till know I am not able to change the myth in my family.

i.e. Why the Dzire and Indigo CS sells more than their Hatch version
Old 27th March 2009, 15:11   #70
BHPian

Whatever the Hatch is.

Still the sedan's prestige & impression can not be beat.
Old 27th March 2009, 16:08   #71
Senior - BHPian

When i got the swift zxi back in 2006 for 5.5 OTR, i was told - for this much money you got such a small car? You can get an ambassador for less! Well these were my more ignorant relatives who were living in the 80's, so i paid no heed to them!
Old 27th March 2009, 17:22   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
When i got the swift zxi back in 2006 for 5.5 OTR, i was told - for this much money you got such a small car? You can get an ambassador for less! Well these were my more ignorant relatives who were living in the 80's, so i paid no heed to them!
makes your brain boil doesnt it.

people will say this and that. people should buy cars with their heart not brains.(ok some brains)
dont go by them its you who would be driving not them. bravo my friend!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 27th March 2009 at 17:23.
Old 27th March 2009, 19:07   #73
BHPian

Interesting that I faced a similar situation here in the US even with a sedan. When I bought the Civic Si I got a lot of comments about how I could have got a bigger Accord for lesser price etc. But the fun I have during each drive means I have never regretted my decision or choice.
Old 27th March 2009, 21:31   #74
Senior - BHPian

For car junkies & petrolheads like us,a peppy fun to drive hatch will suffice over a boring sedan at the same price,but as far as the majority car-buying public in India is concerned rear seat comfort & prestige are of prime importance.Most Indian families will move up to a three box(say Indigo) from thier old Zen if possible...their petrolheaded son might object though. I would pefer the old Zen over a Indigo.Definitely.
Old 28th March 2009, 00:22   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
For car junkies & petrolheads like us,a peppy fun to drive hatch will suffice over a boring sedan at the same price.

Just FYI, the boring Sedan has more mass behind its rear axle compared to its hatch counterpart, which in turn helps in the pendulum effect, so much essential in the flick that has been made so famous by one region, but I guess "car junkies" and "petrol heads" aren't much interested in that!!

Last edited by 1100D : 28th March 2009 at 00:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks