No 10 17.54%
I don't care, I an't buying one 7 12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2010, 12:37   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The benefits (or the lack of) are debatable. However, for reasons stated in my previous post on this thread, I don't see why the GOI has to waive off duties on hybrids. If you want to sell them here, build 'em here!

What the Civic Hybrid also uses is a technology that is obsolete compared to that of the Prius'. Drive both in bumper to bumper traffic to gauge for yourself. While the Civic will be constantly shutting / starting the engine (ANNOYING!), the Prius is capable of running upto a certain speed on electric power alone! No wonder the Prius outsells the Civic Hybrid in something like a 10:1 ratio.
Honda's hybrid is not obsolete, its a different implementation. Its simple and is cheap too. If you put a bigger motor and higher storage, Honda can achieve what Toyota does in a simpler way.

People dont care how you implement. The biggest constraint now is price and Honda's solution might enable more people to afford one.

Prius outselling Civic has a lot to do with Toyota having a dedicated hybrid sub-brand. People want to be seen driving a hybrid car.
Old 4th September 2010, 14:51   #32
Senior - BHPian

What I think is import duty should be same for all (as it is now), but the excise duty for hybrids built in India should be zero.
So big cars - X% excise
small cars - X/2% excise
hybrid cars (any) - 0% excise

Also, if you show that you have bought a hybrid car in your tax return - you get a 10% tax rebate.

Last edited by blackasta : 4th September 2010 at 14:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks