Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2009, 09:41   #1906
Senior - BHPian

Gentlemen,

I think you guys are missing the point. What I am trying to say is that there "seems" to be some improvement in the A.S.S. at Skoda. Period.

I compared the Audi, C & 3 as to drive home the point of "daylight robbery" !!! Skoda all said & done is a German car at heart hence no point comparing it to it's Japanese competition.

I rest my case !!

Cheers
Old 4th June 2009, 10:00   #1907
Senior - BHPian

by those lofty standards, yes, I suppose there has been some marginal improvement !
Old 4th June 2009, 13:01   #1908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Gentlemen,

I think you guys are missing the point. What I am trying to say is that there "seems" to be some improvement in the A.S.S. at Skoda. Period.

I compared the Audi, C & 3 as to drive home the point of "daylight robbery" !!! Skoda all said & done is a German car at heart hence no point comparing it to it's Japanese competition.

I rest my case !!

Cheers
And this is exactly why Skoda treats Indian consumers as dirt

With no offense to any one the Germanness of heart or feet is not a point of consideration for many including yours truly. I would rather happily buy a Chinese/ Tanzanian / Angolan or Ugandan product as well if it offers me features and quality and good after sales service. ( No Chinese or African products exist in Indian market does not alter the analogy so please do not pick on that)

German or Japanese ownership of the company or shared components is not very important from My POV and not a justification for any kind of ripoff.

Having said that Skoda is not a Mercedes or BMW it is just a Skoda and a poor men's car elsewhere in the world in terms of brand image , I fail to understand why exactly they posed in India that they can have some snob value.

Regards

Last edited by amitk26 : 4th June 2009 at 13:17. Reason: removing word considered offensive by T-BHP
Old 4th June 2009, 14:13   #1909
BANNED

I quite agree that the Skoda prices should be really be compared with the Corolla & Altis and not the C and the 3. However, they will probably appear outrageous even when compared to the 3-pointed star and the propeller.
Old 4th June 2009, 14:24   #1910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
And this is exactly why Skoda treats Indian consumers as dirt....
That is a bold statement and many here would disagree with startling vehemence!
Having said that, I agree!
Old 4th June 2009, 14:43   #1911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
That is a bold statement and many here would disagree with startling vehemence!
Having said that, I agree!
I say this at the cost of getting bashed, but I don't think they treat the customer like dirt. They have given us great products, the new laura could have been priced at 20 lacs and the new Superb could have easliy been priced at 25-30 lacs. But they have not.

Having said so, they have just got their after sales serviced totally messed up. So there is this situation, a co. that builds good cars (with the exception of the Fabia, which was a over priced car) but gives horrid A.S.S.

cheers,
ac
Old 4th June 2009, 17:17   #1912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@GoodDevil: There may be some independents in Chandigarh who specialize in high end cars. These chaps have access to documentation, and spares, as well as engine analysers and misc electronic gizmo's required for modern cars. If so then you are Ok, otherwise watch out.

Well, they do have access to all these things. They are good as of what i have heard from reviews of their present customers who love to get their cars services from that garage rather than a Skoda ***.

So, i think i should take this as a green signal and should buy out a used Skoda.

Just wanted to ask one thing..

Is there anything i should keep in mind while looking for a used Skoda Car?
Old 4th June 2009, 17:45   #1913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDevil View Post

fake parts installed by the existing dealer without the knowledge of the existing owner
Old 4th June 2009, 17:58   #1914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
So there is this situation, a co. that builds good cars (with the exception of the Fabia, which was a over priced car) but gives horrid A.S.S.

cheers,
ac
So since the A.S.S is so horrid, one can buy a good new Skoda car and keep it on display at home.
Old 5th June 2009, 00:17   #1915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDevil View Post
Well, they do have access to all these things. They are good as of what i have heard from reviews of their present customers who love to get their cars services from that garage rather than a Skoda ***.

So, i think i should take this as a green signal and should buy out a used Skoda.

Just wanted to ask one thing..

If you have a good independent workshop to look after servicing, go for a Skoda.

The 'weakest link' is the electricals & electronics, rest of the car is sturdy. Have the independent workshop check out the car and tell you about the condition of each part - engine, gearbox, suspension etc. Do not touch a Skoda with any one of the major parts needing work. After electricals and electronics, Air-con system accounts for a large number of complaints, be sure to check it out.

Cheers,
Old 5th June 2009, 13:55   #1916
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
They have given us great products
Having said so, they have just got their after sales serviced totally messed up.
Exactly. We (the Mods who met with Skoda) told them that too. I see A.S.S as 3 parts.

1. Customer friendliness and awareness - How do you treat your customers, how do you follow up with service done, how do you service the customer while his/her car is with your service center. Do customers that are not satisfied have a forum for redressal that actually understands the customers POV? Think of poor Harish he is paying 20K a month for the last 15 months for a car he cannot use. Where is the empathy?

2. Cost of services and parts

3. Reliability and Longevity of critical parts (Clutch, Brake, Tranmission, vital electricals, etc..).

Skoda seems to be so far only addressing part 1 of the 3 that too only with the customers that have relatively minor service issues. Lets hope we get reports from customers who have had bigger service jobs done to satisfaction.

Cost and Reliabilty/Longevity of spares is still something there seems to be very little visible action on. On one occasion I did read that Skoda is offering longer and more comphrensive warranties on the newer models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The 'weakest link' is the electricals & electronics, rest of the car is sturdy.
Clutch and Brake parts also seem to have lesser life than comparable cars (Civic, Corolla) and cost more to replace.
Old 6th June 2009, 08:27   #1917
BHPian

How often are people running into electronics/electric problems in the oct/laura/superb & what kind?

Does anyone have any info?
Old 6th June 2009, 11:11   #1918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
The 'weakest link' is the electricals & electronics, rest of the car is sturdy.
This has always been a problem with European cars and VW in particular. Just see the huge numbers of complaints against VW all over the Internet.

While in my OHC, I never even had to change a single bulb or fuse in my several years of ownership. And I would see lots of Octys and Opels with haywire rear lights, signals, etc. including non-working brake lights which is a serious safety issue.

If they cannot get a basic lighting wiring harness done right, I shudder to think of the rest of the electronics / electricals.
Old 6th June 2009, 11:41   #1919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
This has always been a problem with European cars and VW in particular. Just see the huge numbers of complaints against VW all over the Internet.

While in my OHC, I never even had to change a single bulb or fuse in my several years of ownership. And I would see lots of Octys and Opels with haywire rear lights, signals, etc. including non-working brake lights which is a serious safety issue.

If they cannot get a basic lighting wiring harness done right, I shudder to think of the rest of the electronics / electricals.
Going just a bit OT. The problem is with European Electricals in Particular. In my field, we use CNC Machines. Machines with Sinumerik (Siemens -German) controllers break down very often, their sales and service is painfully pathetic & exhorbitantly expensive to maintain or fix. Whereas their Japanese counterparts' Fanuc controllers are generally more reliable, lesser prone to breakdown, good service network & relatively cheaper to fix.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 6th June 2009 at 11:45. Reason: typos
Old 7th June 2009, 00:09   #1920
BHPian

***... or simply making an *** of the marque?

It is very disturbing & disgusting to read the extremely poor *** provided by the so called 'quality' car makers!
In the not so distant past we had such a poor picture of Korean products, which was the case of Japanese products earlier.
One used to believe that all European cars were build to last & had the best *** to follow the best technology, probably an image created by the wonderful German auto majors.
I for one, always used to admire Skoda for the build quality of their cars & the way they brought to the country some decent products which had stuff beyond their class & segment which were 'standard' & not as options.
However going through these posts & hearing about the unsuspecting owners' plight, I realise how misplaced was my sense of appreciation!

I am reminded of the poor after sales service by dealers which plagued Fiat India & almost killed many of their brilliant offerings. Today things look better thanks to a change in approach & in hands ;-)

Sadly, our system either lacks bite or has too many loopholes for some one to get away with such lackadaisical service to their customers. At times it takes too long for redressals with final execution beying beyond the purview of the Redressal Forum. Just imagine what would have happened if such things occured in the US - people would have sued them for every thing!

Though from an FMCG background, it's just second nature for many of my kind to reach out to any of our disgruntled consumers & ensure that their problems & queries are addressed to. In my 9 years in corporate world I have personally experienced & seen how sales & marketing pros go beyond Customer Care's syrupy mails, to ensure that almost none of his / her customers / consumers are lost.
It's just common sense to retain your buyers. It takes huge chunk of budget & effort to bring in a new consumer. One would rather retain a consumer, and more inportanly who could bring in more by word of mouth.

Ask any of my fellow Jap & Korean car owners...they will agree 10/10 that the best part is the reliability of their cars, followed by a simple no-nonsensical approach of after sales service..no frills, but simple problem solving approach.

Hope better sence do prevail & the parent company takes notice of the way things are going out of hand for this marque

I am glad that as usual you guys at Team-BHP has stood up for the truth & justice. Keep up the good work.

Most Viewed