Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2014, 09:15   #2536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Sorry but neither did I start the survey, nor took part in it since I don't own a Skoda. Hope there is no confusion about it.
Extremely sorry. I don't know how i mixed up the names, but the survey was by graaja that was merged to the link quoted above. Sorry for the confusion, again.
Old 14th January 2014, 11:02   #2537
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Extremely sorry. I don't know how i mixed up the names, but the survey was by graaja that was merged to the link quoted above. Sorry for the confusion, again.
No problem. Just posted the fact to clear the air.
Old 14th January 2014, 12:34   #2538
Senior - BHPian

Re: Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its us

Quote:
No. Every car breaks down. As I said in my earlier post, when a Honda or a Toyota have a problem, the owner gets a 10K bill, which he happily pays and gets on with his life. With Skoda/VW he is asked to shell half a lakh and a fight ensues.
Pardon me for "jumping in the ring" quite late, but why should this be?
The cars are priced almost similarly.
It is quite logical to expect that the parts should also be priced quite similarly.
Unless we are talking about something exotic having beryllium spindle and sapphire bearings. Same logic applies to the electrical and elctro-mechanical components.

And if the above is true, is Skoda making immense loss upfront (brand new car) while selling this competing with Hondas and Toyotas? Doesn't look to be a likely scenario at all.

Also the presence of such exotic material/equipment - if it reduces the mean time between failure - and also not covered under warranty - will only add to the buyer's woes. Which he didn't account for while signing on the dotted lines while buying.

I remember the Octy vRS thread where it was mentioned that the water pump plastic impeller - was prone to failure. What was the German engineering doing then? Twiddling thumbs? I mean something as simple and basic as a pump impeller and these guys couldn't get it right!

Last edited by alpha1 : 14th January 2014 at 12:38.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2014, 18:10   #2539
Team-BHP Support

Re: A compilation of Skoda / VW horror stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabiaous View Post
Also please add links of Owners who have good reviews and not faced any issues of ownership of Skoda/VW
Posts from many users who have had good experience with their Skoda cars can be found in the followup of the below post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post3340571
Old 14th January 2014, 22:46   #2540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Pardon me for "jumping in the ring" quite late, but why should this be?
You may refer to my original post on the subject to know why i think so. It is just a theory, but if you care to read you can save a lot of that humour.
Old 15th January 2014, 13:05   #2541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You may refer to my original post on the subject to know why i think so. It is just a theory, but if you care to read you can save a lot of that humour.
But nowhere you have mentioned WHY the price (of spares) is high for VW/Skoda compared to Honda/Toyota if that is the case.
Old 15th January 2014, 15:47   #2542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
But nowhere you have mentioned WHY the price (of spares) is high for VW/Skoda compared to Honda/Toyota if that is the case.
I had. See below quote.

Quote:
VW and Skoda shares parts with Audi and they are expensive.
Not all, but many parts are shared. In my friend's Octavia, I have seen that the replaced spares had 4 logos on it (Audi, VW, Skoda and something else). A service adviser once told my friend that Skoda/VW cannot price these spares low because it would create a black market for Audi spares.
blacksport is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 16:18   #2543
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
......Not all, but many parts are shared. In my friend's Octavia, I have seen that the replaced spares had 4 logos on it (Audi, VW, Skoda and something else). A service adviser once told my friend that Skoda/VW cannot price these spares low because it would create a black market for Audi spares.
Part sharing across brands in their group is understandable from the manufacturer's perspective, but expecting a relatively budget brand's (by European standards, not Indian) customer to pay premium brand part prices is ridiculous.

If VW/Skoda parts are straight fits on Audis, that's VW group's problem to sort out. First they share parts across the range to create economies of scale, then price parts to match the highest brand among the sharing group? Can't have it both ways.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 18:29   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not all, but many parts are shared. In my friend's Octavia, I have seen that the replaced spares had 4 logos on it (Audi, VW, Skoda and something else). A service adviser once told my friend that Skoda/VW cannot price these spares low because it would create a black market for Audi spares.
This is highly ALARMING, if such a practice is indeed followed by the VW group!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Part sharing across brands in their group is understandable from the manufacturer's perspective, but expecting a relatively budget brand's (by European standards, not Indian) customer to pay premium brand part prices is ridiculous.

If VW/Skoda parts are straight fits on Audis, that's VW group's problem to sort out. First they share parts across the range to create economies of scale, then price parts to match the highest brand among the sharing group? Can't have it both ways.
Agreed on all counts. Economies of scale is to reduce cost.
Not an opportunity to increase price.
Old 15th January 2014, 20:40   #2545
BHPian

VW cant keep customers of VW and Skoda hostage to high prices just because their premium brand share the same parts. VW and Skoda owners get what they pay for and no logic can be applied for them to fork out extra for parts just because Audi shares the same parts. They will have to find another solution and manufacture parts a bit different from the base lineage.
rajamuneeb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 21:26   #2546
BHPian

Or do we need to think the reverse, does the premium Audi has the same parts as their normal cars because nobody will give premium parts for lesser price.
Old 19th March 2014, 12:20   #2547
Distinguished - BHPian

Found an interesting article where it says the Meaning of the Word Skoda in the Czech Language is…

Team-BHP stands for the TRUTH. But Skoda wants to “instigate” Team-BHP and its users!-skoda0.jpg

The name actually comes from founder Emil Škoda, but Škoda, when starting with a capital means: “Too bad!,” whereas if you swap it out for a lower-case “š,” the meaning changes to “damage, harm, detriment and injury.” The first is a noun, the second is an interjection.

Interesting they went ahead with the name so what if it was someone's last name

Source
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th March 2014, 12:43   #2548
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajamuneeb View Post
They will have to find another solution and manufacture parts a bit different from the base lineage.
But then they will not be able to extract the benefit of 'economy of scales'!
Old 4th April 2014, 23:18   #2549

I just came across this thread. Really shocking! :O What is the company's current status? Have they learnt from their mistakes? Have there been any bad experiences recently?

Safe travels,
T.U.P
Old 6th August 2014, 13:42   #2550
BHPian

Thank God I found this thread! I was planning for a new car. Will not waste my time on analysing Skoda!
rajesh2812 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed