Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 10:12   #1006
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post

In the US VWs of this platform (jettas and Golfs) have proven to be of low reliability and needing frequent dealer visits. There was a huge fiasco when all the Jettas and Golfs in the US had to have a part replaced but VAG didn't have enough parts so most people ended up having to wait long periods of time many with cars that had become non-operational.

it is true that Germans make cars that are very nice to drive. But their cars are also quite troublesome and unreliable.

My 330i was an absolutely awesome car, but it went to the dealer so often, its almost hilarious. I would buy one again in a heart beat because of how awesome it was, but without having any illusions about its lack of reliability. In addition to routine service stops, my car went to the dealer to fix a failed A/C unit, a failed rear window regulator, a failed engine cooling fan, another failed engine cooling fan, a failed fuel level sending unit, a failed CD changer, a failed navigation display, and sound system failures that were never correctly diagnosed and fixed because they were intermittent and could not be located. .
This was due to faulty coil pack issues. Main problem is that these cars are rushed into production before ensuring total reliability.

Agreed - "german" cars are fab to drive but at a price. My ex-neighbour has one of the last pre Banlge 7 series. This car is babied by the driver, nothing is skimped but the owner curses it. Drive it for one day, workshop for two days and bills touching six giures. Mainly electrical/ electronic stuff

BMW service package is not an option
Old 5th April 2009, 10:34   #1007
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I think you meant 'originally Czech'

Harbir is right. After driving a Skoda vRS even the Civic seems uninspiring. If only germans made cars as reliable as the japs.

Harbir, what did you pay for all thsoe failed parts for the duration you owned the car. That is a lot of parts.
1. Sorry, yes, I meant "originally Czech"

2. Japanese cars are uninspiring when the Japanese don't care about inspiring. Germans can't make a car without atleast going some length to make it inspiring. but when the japanese care to make a car inspiring, they can make some really awesome stuff. Believe me, the VRs wouldn't feel all that special if you took a spin in the the Acura RSX Type S (Honda Integra Type S or Type R in some markets), or in the previous generation Civic Type R. They made the 180hp 1.8T variants of the VAG platform feel like squishy dull headed boats. And lets not even talk about the Integra Type R of the version one before the last one. Holy crap, what a thrill machine! Almost certain the greatest fwd driver's car in the world.

The current GTi is pretty awesome, but the Mazdaspeed3 has its number.

Still, there is a character to German cars that not the best japanese cars can recreate and if thats what you like and what you want, then there is no substitute for german cars.

But I agree with you. Even despite the awesome of some japanese cars, german cars do have something about them that really makes them feel really truly unique.

Last edited by Harbir : 5th April 2009 at 10:45.
Old 5th April 2009, 11:49   #1008
BHPian

Thanks to this thread. Two of my friends who wanted to buy Skoda, declined to buy after i sent them this thread through mail. Me too liked Skoda so far, but not after reading this thread. Good that i never bought their cars.
Old 5th April 2009, 12:38   #1009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtechie View Post
Hmmm, honestly, mine faith is all shaken! German Engineering... sigh. After driving some home made cars (Maruti, Tata), I was inclined towards buying German/Japanese... considering that they are expensive, but am ok to pay up for the quality. But with these kind of nonsense treatment to the customer, honestly, am stirred up.

~LT
Oops please grep/delete that "German Engineering", since am rookie here, I couldn't find my post for editing... seem to be disappearing untill its approved.

Thanks
~LT
Old 5th April 2009, 12:48   #1010
BHPian

Hey Guys. Day before yesterday, a couple of my friends got together and we all went out to get some grub at late ours of the night. The car is running fine. But this is not about the car today.

Anyways, we met up with another friend who was waiting for us and he used to love my car. I mean even today it doesn't look like its a 05 model, only because I have spent a lot on getting the car back to ship shape condition. Finally, on seeing the car he was very happy but guess what he told me. He said, " Yaar Kapil, I was all set on buying a Skoda when I saw your car but seriously, if this is the way the company gives you service, I'm not buying one at all."

And yesterday, we went down to Honda and booked a CRV.

So my list of actuall sales that have not gone to Skoda even after the way my car is now is upto 7. So imagine, had Skoda been good to me and my car, they had seven confirmed sales. Confirmed. But sadly, its the other way round.

In a nutshell, Skoda has still not realised that one by one they are losing potential customers and the word of mouth around a lot of towns is spreading like wild fire that Skodas cars are an absolute waste of money. ANd people are actually shying away from them. I have shared my case with Renuka Kripalani, I'm sure all of us know who she is and her words were that I should approach the consumer courts. However, I am strictly against that because I will hit Skoda hard with demarketing their products only because of the companys attitude and very poor after sales service.
Old 5th April 2009, 13:00   #1011
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
Thanks to this thread. Two of my friends who wanted to buy Skoda, declined to buy after i sent them this thread through mail. Me too liked Skoda so far, but not after reading this thread. Good that i never bought their cars.

Same here... I was really impressed by the looks and all. But if this is the treatment is given and considering that we dont have all the time to fight back, Skoda is off my list.

~LT
Old 5th April 2009, 13:59   #1012
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
And unlike the Germans,its a budget brand in Europe,I guess it wont be wrong to say that octavia is indigo's counterpart in Europe.
Absolutely! Calling Skoda 'German' is like calling JLR an Indian brand only because it is owned by Tata. JLR & Indian? See how well that sits with their prospective customers.

A TBHPian bought the 2009 Superb...I feel happy for him because of the new addition to his garage. It is by all comparisons a great car and supposedly VFM for what it offers. But at the same time I cant help but wonder how Skoda and its dealers will treat their new customer and his car. Makes me shiver.

Rgds,
Old 5th April 2009, 14:50   #1013
evo
BHPian

Ok guys, I was just wondering, is there any constructive next step that we can take?

We`ve had many suggestions on the board, but can we structure them in way that we can take action about it?

Last edited by evo : 5th April 2009 at 15:03.
Old 5th April 2009, 15:02   #1014
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Skoda isnt a German brand . Thats what the Indian buyer has been made to think. Its a east-European brand
lets be frank and honest here. No communication from Skoda has ever said they were a german brand. As a matter of fact they have always communicated they are a Czech Brand. And yes it is a European brand (East European is still European).

Just because there is a Huge Anti-Skoda Thread doesn't mean whatever they do is wrong.

If someone is ignorant, it is not Skoda's Fault.

Cheers,
ac

Quote:
In summary, I think its fair to say that Skodas are german cars, but that being german is no special recommendation unless you buy a german car that is especially superior to Japanese products in terms of driver pleasure. Most german car are not. Some certainly are like the 3 series. But most VW and Skoda badged products are not.
Skoda is a German car ?? Is it the same Skoda that we all are talking about ? Acc to me Skoda is a Czech brand, conceptualized by two gentleman who were Czech, was run by the Czech management untill 1991 when it was bought over by VW.

Still the cars were made in MB which is in Czech Republic.

This is for your information.

Cheers,
ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by althaaf View Post
i was planning to buy a skoda fabia for my college use. i was almost ready to visit the showroom to process the purchase. now after seeing these stupid thing done by a single dealer, i lost all trust and good image that i had regarding the company. now i ll not allow my parents to keep their laura, just coz am a proud indian. hey guys lets all fight against skoda.. "quit skoda movement".. even i was not a happy owner of skoda vehicle.. never a user friendly approach from the dealer..
we will fight untill skoda corrects its stupidity and agrees its mistakes
hope am not over reacting...
'quit skoda movement' ??? I think few of us just need to get a grip. Here we are a bunch of individuals who love and live cars. We are discussing and trying to help a fellow member who has had a rough ride with his car. We are against the service given the Skoda Autos Dealerships. I agree it is Skoda Responsibility for its dealers but reactions like the above mentioned imho are uncalled for.

I still love the car, the octavia, the laura and the new superb they are brilliant cars, but their service is completely messed up. So lets stick to the point.

I am not defending SkodaAuto here as a matter of fact i tried to help harish with a few more nos. But we need to concentrate on the point and not loose focus.

Cheers,
AC

Last edited by theMAG : 5th April 2009 at 17:05. Reason: Please use the same post to manage content upto 20 mins
Old 5th April 2009, 15:53   #1015
BHPian

Let the Company and their paid executives fight the legal battle and play with our legal system at last who cares most might forget the case with time this is what the company management thinks.

Lets say our Impact is 40,000 bhpian + 60,000 visitors X each got 100 Close family & friends = 1 Crore = 10 Million. If this is not enough, to cover the rest of population and in the interest of liberty of public voice and interest we should publish the facts and information to general citizens of India through media and let the Citizens of India decide whether to support or damage the Company.

Battle ground and concrete base are already firm piled by Harish Kanchan
If someone is taking initiative to compile a report, I will take initiative to publish it in media first in my region.

Believing in Fighting Intelligent than Legal. Jai Ho....
Old 5th April 2009, 16:04   #1016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Skoda is a German car ?? Is it the same Skoda that we all are talking about ? Acc to me Skoda is a Czech brand, conceptualized by two gentleman who were Czech, was run by the Czech management untill 1991 when it was bought over by VW.

Still the cars were made in MB which is in Czech Republic.

This is for your information.

Cheers,
ac
Let me understand this correctly:

A German car ceases to be German because its manufacturer puts formerly Czech brand on it and manufactures it primarily outside Germany?

I am sorry but that doesn't work. EVERYTHING about the car that might matter to me or to its owners is German. That it carries a non-german brand name and was mostly produced outside germany does not mean anything because at the end of the day, everything about it, how it drives, how it steers, how it feels, its engines, performance, reliability, quality, refinement, handling, ride, styling, aerodynamics, is from a german car, or created by engineers at engineering facilities in Germany.

If Tata bought Lada, and restyled the Nano slightly but otherwise kept it largely the same and manufacturer "Lada Nano" exclusively in Russia, it would still be an Indian car. The brand, the styling difference and manufacturing location would not change the fact that it is an Indian car.

Last edited by Harbir : 5th April 2009 at 16:15.
Old 5th April 2009, 16:10   #1017
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If Tata bought Lada, and restyled the Nano slightly but otherwise kept it largely the same and manufacturer "Lada Nano" exclusively in Russia, it would still be an Indian car. The brand, the styling difference and manufacturing location would not change the fact that it is an Indian car.
Why Lada, let's take Land Rover and Jaguar. Can we call LR and Jaguar as Indian cars now?
Old 5th April 2009, 16:26   #1018
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Why Lada, let's take Land Rover and Jaguar. Can we call LR and Jaguar as Indian cars now?
Are they superficially different variations of cars designed, engineered and developed by Tata in India?

No? then they are not Indian cars.

More importantly, if Tata put a new Grill and lights on a Jaguar and made and sold it here as a Tata, it would still be an English car. the slight restyle and different badge would not stop it from being what it is, an english car.

I keep trying to make the point that its not about who owns it, but who did the engineering, design and development that determines the nationality of the car. In the case of the Skoda, all of that is shared with cars that were designed, engineered and developed in Germany and are accepted as german cars.

I have trouble understanding how you can take a german car, put a different badge, grill and lights on it and say "its not german anymore". The ONLY way you can say that is you think that the engineering, design and development don't decide a car's national identy, but badges and location of manufacture do.

I just cannot accept that.

Last edited by Harbir : 5th April 2009 at 16:44.
Old 5th April 2009, 16:26   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Sorry guys,to interrept u all,but i feel that we have been going off the track.Should not we focus back on the purpose of this topic,whatever the Skoda may be,german,czech,chinese,taiwanese,bangladeshi or whatever u may like?the fact remains, it serves us with the worst after sales and on top of it harrasses its customers,and i feel that should be the subject of debate,not the origin of the manufacterer,hope i did not offend anyone but IMHO such debates push us off topic and hardly have any outcomes so i feel we should all concentrate back on the topic.
Regards
Old 5th April 2009, 16:48   #1020
BHPian

might help for a moderator to separate these posts into a different thread so the discussion on Skoda's nationality can continue without being off topic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks