Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Should Team-BHP stand up for its right to the freedom of speech? For the TRUTH?
YES 3192 99.35%
NO 21 0.65%
Voters: 3213. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2009, 01:27   #1306
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajiv.kulkarni View Post
I too hope that they leave soon
I - honestly - hope that they stick around. For them to stick around / have a long-term future in India, they'd have to take really good care of their customers. When they keep their customers happy, it will result in higher sales. And thus, a better (Indian) automotive world for all of us.

We like their cars, it is the shocking attitude of theirs that is the problem. Easiest to fix if the management has the focus. If only they'd realise that, at the end of the day, Team-BHP & Skoda India want the same thing : Satisfied car owners & enthusiasts.

Are we asking for too much? Let's wait and watch.
Old 12th April 2009, 02:03   #1307
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for restoring sanity

Thanks Navin, Thad and GTO for restoring some sanity to the thread.

I just checked on 'Skoda Corporate' and found that she stopped posting after 29 March, 2009 after submitting 6 posts.

Just as Team-BHP likes to give all concerned a chance to put their point across, all other fora have their own guidelines on equal opportunity to all parties. In the case of formal fora like courts (consumer courts included) the rules are stricter and processes are more complex. It is best that we let each forum follow its own process.

Regarding the appeal. If the district forum had passed an order against the consumer. Would it be fair to expect that the consumer not file an appeal? India is not (yet) a banana republic where justice flows out of the barrel of a gun or on the diktat of a single functionary. A mere accusation (even by the most well meaning citizens) is not proof, if it were, many more women and girls would die in India each year - being accused of 'banamati' or witchcraft by a crowd. Let us not reduce our democracy into a mobocracy. It is best to let the judicial process run it's course.

@ Thad, I agree wholeheartedly with your observations regarding that rarest of rare gems 'common-sense'. Unfortunately common-sense often takes a back seat in business and is invariably thrown out the window once a matter reaches the courts!

No other major automobile manufacturer in India has goofed up to the extent that Skoda has. It is time that Skoda pulled up their socks and got their act together. Hope Thomas and his men are listening.

Cheers,
Old 12th April 2009, 10:07   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
diff, the article is not specific about the problem and mentions that the court decided to award the customer 20K as a token compensation. it would have been better if the article had been more specific about at least a few reasons why the customer had to go to the service center again and again.
in my opinion, that article would not make a good citation. however, Ill still add it if you insist.
If it doesn't make sense to drive home the point that their dealer service is poor, then no point in having it.

Cheers,
Old 12th April 2009, 17:18   #1309

decided against buying Skoda Laura

Thanks guys for the eye opener, I had been waiting for New Skoda Laura and had postponed my car purchase for the same, but now after looking at the poor state of affairs I don't think any sensible person would ever buy a car from skoda, at least I won't.
Thanks again for saving me the ordeal of skoda and their Dealers.
Can we not send the skoda top bosses of what is going on here(all the links and stories, maybe it will open up their eyes, if not the India top bosses, straightaway to Skoda global)?
BTW, I noticed today that skoda-auto.co.in is redirecting to Untitled Page (which throws an error).
Old 12th April 2009, 19:05   #1310
BANNED

man! this just keeps getting funnier by the day! first, we have the 2.66 valves per cylinder joke. then you have the site redirect to a page that says nobodyy should be seeing it.

"No one should see this page. If you see this page, error handler is not configured well."

priceless.
Old 12th April 2009, 20:05   #1311
Senior - BHPian

I think Skoda India needs to atleast take some corrective actions, to correct their after sale service network, lest their sales number drop like a brick, considering the far-reaching impact of this Motorheads' forum.

Wake up Skoda, you have a good product, all you need to do is wake up to realities of the "real" horror stories that your customers are having to face.

I am myself a Octavia owner. The day my warranty ran out, I have been getting my regular service etc done at private workshops. I am, I believe a "far happier Skoda owner"

I have had my share of some horrific treatment at the hands of the "so called dealer workshops" !!! The best part is they now have bouncers to keep customers away from the car, when it is being "attended" to....

Skoda Auto - this is a wake up call - you can still salvage the situation, pull up your socks & a lot many errant dealers !!!!! Cancel dealerships if you have to - in order to keep the credibility of your product alive.

Building a "brand" takes forever, ruining it takes very little. Pay heed gentlemen.

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th April 2009 at 20:12.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:14   #1312
BHPian

one more potential cleint is now miles away from skoda..

Friend of mine was being given a skoda superb by his company and i made him read this thread. now he has warned his company not even to suggest skoda to any other employees. so thats some few sales lost for skoda.
would love to spread this to everyone i know.
Old 12th April 2009, 21:59   #1313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The best part is they now have bouncers to keep customers away from the car, when it is being "attended" to....
All companies in UK have those. They call them "Health and Safety Regulations"

Some, however, provide a glazed-off area from which work can be watched.

I've never had the dedication or patience.

By the way... it occurs to me that if Skoda were actually to be chased out of India, the real sufferers might be those still owning Skoda cars after their departure, so, no, I don't think this is a good way to go.

Still, it is hard for the even the most dedicated PR man (or woman) to put a positive spin on "Skoda Out!" (errr.... "They love us, they mentioned our name"?) so let them measure their current corporate popularity by it.
Old 12th April 2009, 22:33   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way... it occurs to me that if Skoda were actually to be chased out of India, the real sufferers might be those still owning Skoda cars after their departure, so, no, I don't think this is a good way to go.
OMG! Thad, that almost sound like we enjoy their original parts getting replaced with 'duplicate' parts!

I'm sure, Sir, that you did not mean it that way!
Old 12th April 2009, 22:47   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
All companies in UK have those. They call them "Health and Safety Regulations"

Some, however, provide a glazed-off area from which work can be watched.

I've never had the dedication or patience.

Still, it is hard for the even the most dedicated PR man (or woman) to put a positive spin on "Skoda Out!" (errr.... "They love us, they mentioned our name"?) so let them measure their current corporate popularity by it.
+1 to the health and safety regulations. I have just posted the same thing in the 'other' thread.

ROFTL at the PRspeak! I sure do miss Ms. Meghna wish she would increase her post count which has been static at 6 since 29 March. I could do with a dose of laughs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
OMG! Thad, that almost sound like we enjoy their original parts getting replaced with 'duplicate' parts!

I'm sure, Sir, that you did not mean it that way!
Sir, one dealer changed parts. Applying the same yardstick as you are attempting to, gives us the following 'true' statements:

Every TBHP member uses 'filtered used oil' in his engine! Yes, that is there in the engine oils thread.

All TBHP members thrash new cars that do not belong to them. That too is there in here.

Most TBHP members illegally modify their cars such that they are rendered unreliable and/or unsafe.

Now, none of the above statements are true and only demonstrate that we cannot generalise on the basis of the actions of one person. So let us not generalise on the basis of the actions of one or two dealers and a few employees.

Cheers,
Old 12th April 2009, 22:54   #1316
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I meant the owners who, without Skoda's presence in the country, would have even more problems and expense sourcing genuine spare parts etc

Here's Audi, refusing to take responsibility in USA. I hope this virus isn't spreading through the VAG worldwide!
Old 12th April 2009, 23:07   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Sir, one dealer changed parts. Applying the same yardstick as you are attempting to, gives us the following 'true' statements:

Now, none of the above statements are true and only demonstrate that we cannot generalise on the basis of the actions of one person. So let us not generalise on the basis of the actions of one or two dealers and a few employees.

Cheers,
Beg to differ sir. Make that 3, I personally know of. Will leave the other two to be named by the affected people shortly.
Old 12th April 2009, 23:59   #1318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishv View Post
Beg to differ sir. Make that 3, I personally know of. Will leave the other two to be named by the affected people shortly.
Maybe Harish, even conceding your point and, I find your statement quite believable as the ex-MD seems to have been quite cosy with some of the dealers. If he was greedy - there is no way that his (personal) network included only one dealer. But, it is still a far cry from saying that every dealer steals parts from every car.

The stealing of parts is something we used to worry about when we had to use shady road-side chaps for our old workhorses. One dude stole an almost new DeLorotto carb (sourced with some difficulty) from my Lambretta and trust me, he regrets the day he gave in to temptation. Stealing of parts by mechanics (or A.S.S., or dealers) is absolutely reprehensible and we definitely need to stamp out the practice.

What I have been at pains to point out is - Imagine an eskimo hears about an Indian dealer or two who cheat(s) and steal(s) from customers. If the eskimo says "All Indians are cheats and thieves", all of us Indians would (and should) be up in arms against being tarred by the same brush.

Cheers,
Old 13th April 2009, 00:11   #1319
BHPian

I have been following this thread on and off for quite some time but have not written in. Well I was one of the people who were extremely excited about the skoda fabia. I went to the dealer the first day it was launched and checked out the car. I was instantly in love and decided that this is the car I want to buy. But after they told me to pay a booking amount, without taking a test drive I refused and left. I did get the test drive a few weeks later, but I then found out that even if I change the speakers my warranty would be void. If I changed the alloys the warranty would be void...etc etc. I dropped the plan and then bought a Cedia.

But after reading this thread and speaking to a few friends who are skoda owners, I am sure I made the right decision. Not that HM is the paragon of virtue, but they sure are better than this lot....cheers and hope Harish gets to eat his cake too....
Old 13th April 2009, 00:30   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Imagine an eskimo hears about an Indian dealer or two who cheat(s) and steal(s) from customers. If the eskimo says "All Indians are cheats and thieves", all of us Indians would (and should) be up in arms against being tarred by the same brush.
My two pennies' worth - if the Eskimo hears about an Indian cheating/stealing, and the government and judiciary of our country supports such activity, that would tar all Indians with the same brush. Similarly, with 2 or 3 Skoda dealers cheating/stealing, with Skoda India turning the Nelson's eye to the same, all dealers and the parent company end up invariably being tarred by the same brush.

Most Viewed